THE SMITHS ARE still THE GREATEST - Johnny Marr is totally nothing without Morrissey's words.

• Thread starter Mark, Charlton SE7.
  • Start date
M

Mark, Charlton SE7.

@#!!! IT THEY STILL RULE THE WORLD.........

I HAVENT LISTEN TO THEM FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS AND THE BBC2 SHOW CONFIRMED THAT

The Smiths

Will stay with me forever.

Goonight and Thank you.

Just because Johnny doesn't believe in hit records doesn't mean he is invalubale. I ask you this, why has Moz almost never written songs without collaboration? It'e either him with Marr, or him with Whyte or Boz, etc. Moz is amazing, but Marr has just as much bearing. It's unfair and ignorant to deny his role. Anwyay, just give Johnny a chance. As far as I'm concerned, his only bad project was The The.

> Just because Johnny doesn't believe in hit records doesn't mean¿ he is invalubale. I ask you this, why has Moz almost never¿ written songs without collaboration?

Morrissey cannot play an instrument and he cannot write music, that's why =) So really it's not "almost never" it's never. We know that Morrissey's genuis is in his abilty to write wonderful and creative lyrics.

And to Mark - Johnny is NOT "totally nothing" without Morrissey. I'm so damn sick of people saying that. It's such an ignorant nasty statement. Johnny is incredibly talented in his own right. Everything else besides that is just a matter of opinion.

> Anwyay, just give Johnny a chance. As far as I'm concerned, his¿ only bad project was The The.

Er... and what about The Pretenders?

Jamie

> Er... and what about The Pretenders?¿ Jamie

He was barely even in that band. That one counts more than Marion.

> Morrissey cannot play an instrument and he cannot write music,¿ that's why =) So really it's not "almost never" it's¿ never. We know that Morrissey's genuis is in his abilty to write¿ wonderful and creative lyrics.

Well, I was gonna be nice about that, and not say it. But, you said it for me. IT WASN'T ME! IT WAS THE WOMAN!!! >:-0¿ And to Mark - Johnny is NOT "totally nothing" without¿ Morrissey. I'm so damn sick of people saying that. It's such an¿ ignorant nasty statement. Johnny is incredibly talented in his¿ own right. Everything else besides that is just a matter of¿ opinion.

When the Beatles broke up, they said the same thing about Paul that they do these days 'bout Marr. One of the fab four are dead, one "got his mind set" on a cure for cancer, the other is retired. Which Beatle still makes records?

> other is retired. Which Beatle still makes records?

Ringo!

What did I win?

signed,

the once and future Pete Best

> Well, I was gonna be nice about that, and not say it. But, you¿ said it for me. IT WASN'T ME! IT WAS THE WOMAN!!! >:-0

Why is that "not nice"??¿ When the Beatles broke up, they said the same thing about Paul¿ that they do these days 'bout Marr. One of the fab four are¿ dead, one "got his mind set" on a cure for cancer, the¿ other is retired. Which Beatle still makes records?

I take it you didn't like Flaming Pie then?

- THE WOMAN

> THE MUSIC IS WHAT MAKES THE WORDS

GREAT MUSIC CAN NOT MAKE CRAP LYRICS SOUND GOOD.
WAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

No sense in repeating the subject line

> GREAT MUSIC CAN NOT MAKE CRAP LYRICS SOUND GOOD.¿ WAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Oh yes they can! when you hit the crappy part of the lyrics, you just lower your voice and start muttering letting the music obscure the words!

Morrissey: instruments.

You are inaccurate with your note below. Morrissey played piano on a couple of tracks, played backing instruments on another song and has enough musical pop music knowledge to understand the difference between a good tune and a bad one.¿ Morrissey cannot play an instrument and he cannot write music,¿ that's why =) So really it's not "almost never" it's¿ never. We know that Morrissey's genuis is in his abilty to write¿ wonderful and creative lyrics.

Re: Morrissey: instruments.

> You are inaccurate with your note below. Morrissey played piano¿ on a couple of tracks, played backing instruments on another¿ song and has enough musical pop music knowledge to understand¿ the difference between a good tune and a bad one.

I agree that Morrissey has a keen sense of pop music, but you can't call that "cat-walking-across-piano-keys" plinking at the end of "Death of a Disco Dancer" as actually playing - it's more ad-libbing.. It's been said (in Rogan's book, actually) that Morrissey attempted to learn several instruments, including the piano, sax and drums, but he was too impatient to learn. Having said that, his vocal arrangements and melodies are second to none.

> Why is that "not nice"??

It was a few days ago. I can't remember. Nevermind. It was sarcastic, anyway.¿ I take it you didn't like Flaming Pie then?

I did. That was the whole point. Paul rocks.¿ - THE WOMAN

Oh, Paula. At least I didn't call you a chic.

> THE MUSIC IS WHAT MAKES THE WORDS

uh...YEAH! [thinking of what else to say].

> GREAT MUSIC CAN NOT MAKE CRAP LYRICS SOUND GOOD.¿ WAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Well, explain The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Hole, Pearl Jam, Oasis........

All the 'hits' have @#!!!ty lyrics. People can give two monkey craps about lyrics. Why? I dunno. Real music ended in 1987.

Re: No sense in repeating the subject line

> Oh yes they can! when you hit the crappy part of the lyrics, you¿ just lower your voice and start muttering letting the music¿ obscure the words!

A good example, "It's the End of The World As We Know It" by R.E.M.

> Ringo!¿ What did I win?

It's PAUL!! Don't get smart, Suze! ;-)

Re: Morrissey: instruments.

> You are inaccurate with your note below. Morrissey played piano¿ on a couple of tracks, played backing instruments on another¿ song and has enough musical pop music knowledge to understand¿ the difference between a good tune and a bad one.

Oh! Piano! I suppose he can jam out with Motley Crue on "Home Sweet Home" the next time they are in England. My neice can play the piano. Moz is still JUST A SINGER.

Sitting all alone chewing on a bone

> GREAT MUSIC CAN NOT MAKE CRAP LYRICS SOUND GOOD.¿ WAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!¿> Well, explain The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Hole, Pearl Jam,¿> Oasis........

Pardon moi! What do you mean by including Oasis is this! Listen Mani maybe lyrics like "the sink is full of fishes she's got dirty dishes on the brain" doesn't mean anything to you but it means something to me!!!!

All right Yeah yeah yeah. Anyway, I must have been drunk when I wrote that above "wake up" statement. What the hell was wrong with me. I don't even think that! HAHAHA!!! Really I was just sending out cryptic messages to someone =)¿> All the 'hits' have @#!!! ty lyrics. People can give two monkey¿> craps about lyrics. Why? I dunno.¿>Real music ended in 1987.

Mani the cynic =)

-- the chic otherwise known as "THE WOMAN"

Back
Top Bottom