Favorite Morrissey Quotes

Z

Zommie

I'll start:

"I think I'm a realist. Which people who don't like me
consider to be pessimism. It isn't pessimism at all.
If I was a pessimist I wouldn't get up, I wouldn't
shave, I wouldn't watch Batman at 7:30 a.m. Pessimists
just don't do that sort of thing."

"But my life never really started at any stage - which I know you won't believe, but it's true - so it never really got stopped at any point. But obviously the past is what makes any person. It's because of YOUR past that you're sitting there now, with your list on your knee. Not because of the future or the present. I can't HELP thinking about the past."

"Obviously Madonna reinforces everything absurd and offensive... Madonna is closer to organised prostitution than anything else. I mean the music industry is obviously prostitution anyway but there are degrees."

"I was never young. This idea of fun: cars, girls, saturday night, bottle of wine... to me, these things are morbid. I was always attracted to people with the same problems as me. It doesn't help when most of them are dead."

"Popular music is slowly being laid to rest in every conceivable way... the ashes are already about us if we could but notice them."

I liked the one about only nig nogs getting on TOTP.

"Is there one piece of criticism that sticks in your mind?"

" 'Morrissey conveys all the worst aspects of bestiality fused with homosexuality.' As if simply conveying basic bestiality couldn't satisfy me. But, no, I had to plunge for the very worst aspects. I later wondered how this writer might describe the best aspects of bestiality."

"I do maintain that if your hair is wrong, your entire life is wrong." (1984)

Back
Top Bottom