Morrissey and Elvis.....

I

irksome-ivan

Last night I was viewing The Smiths Complete Picture Video, and while I was watching the video for "Shoplifters of The World" I couldn't help being amused by Morrissey's Smiths shirt sporting a picture of Elvis Presley. Once, he turns his back to the crowd and it is seen that there is another large photo of Elvis. Is this just Morrissey drudging some humor out of the American iconolism of Elvis, or did he actually have any critical favor towards him. Just rather curious. I've heard tidbits from interviews, but I was wondering if anyone had the scoop.

PS: Does anybody else find those Smith videos from the BBC to be a tad bit goofy? It's not the band, merely the setup..........I mean, Morrissey doesn't even have a microphone.

¿ PS: Does anybody else find those Smith videos from the BBC to be¿ a tad bit goofy? It's not the band, merely the setup..........I¿ mean, Morrissey doesn't even have a microphone.

oh, you should have the opportunity to watch "Top of the Pops" (which is where these "videos" came from)! It`s such a funny show and it`s still completely the same after 55 years or however long it`s existing... Basicly all the artists make complete idiots out of themselves in there but it`s still the most important music show on british telly. The funniest thing is that the introduced a german version some months ago which is completely the same with clumsy "celebreties" announcing the acts and a trained audience. But they get even the biggest stars for that crap.

oh, and I think MOrrissey really likes Elvis a lot, I think he once mentioned that it`s not really that Elvis was a big MUSICAL influence for him but that he found him impressive as a person/icon/phenomenon. Which he doubtless is. Might be slightly the same as his obsession with James Dean.

elsberryland

> Last night I was viewing The Smiths Complete Picture Video, and¿ while I was watching the video for "Shoplifters of The¿ World" I couldn't help being amused by Morrissey's Smiths¿ shirt sporting a picture of Elvis Presley. Once, he turns his¿ back to the crowd and it is seen that there is another large¿ photo of Elvis. Is this just Morrissey drudging some humor out¿ of the American iconolism of Elvis, or did he actually have any¿ critical favor towards him. Just rather curious. I've heard¿ tidbits from interviews, but I was wondering if anyone had the¿ scoop.¿ PS: Does anybody else find those Smith videos from the BBC to be¿ a tad bit goofy? It's not the band, merely the setup..........I¿ mean, Morrissey doesn't even have a microphone.

I don´t have "the scoop" but I really think that Morrissey is a fan of Elvis and this is why. If you like rockabilly it´s impossible to ignore Elvis importance to the music. The Smiths borrowed Pomus & Shuman´s "Marie´s the name of his latest flame" Elvis 1961 hit.

"ARE YOU LOATHESOME TONIGHT"

¿ PS: Does anybody else find those Smith videos from the BBC to be¿ a tad bit goofy? It's not the band, merely the setup..........I¿ mean, Morrissey doesn't even have a microphone.

Didn't he once appear with a bog-brush in place of a mircrophone or is that made up ?

There Is ALso A Poster Of Elvis In the video for Last of the famous.. Elvis is also on one of the smiths singles.. I think shoplifters. I found it pretty FUnny when i playeD "his latest Flame" And my Mom (a huge elvis fan) Knew The words...:)

I THINK ELVIS WAS A TRAGIC FIGURE MUCH AS JAMES DEAN AND OSCAR WILDE WERE. FOR SOME REASON MOZ LOVES THOSE TYPES OF PEOPLE. DID ELVIS ACTUALLY WRITE ANY SONGS?

I agree. I think it was that and the fact that Elvis' songs typified the quick and easy 2 minute single, something I read Morrissey tried to achieve when he was with The Smiths. Indeed, that seems to be the case for his singles through Bona Drag at least

ELVIS

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE "SCOOP"? HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A PHOTO
OF MORRISSEY? TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT HIS HAIR & CLOTHES AND
ANYONE WITH A SENSE OF STYLE WILL RECOGNIZE IMMEDIATELY
THE INFLUNCE ELVIS HAS HAD ON MOZ...

HAVE ANY OF YOU READ THE SEVERED ALLIANCE?
LIEBER & STOLLER (WHO WROTE MANY OF ELVIS' SONGS) HAD AN
IMMENSE INFLUENCE ON YOUNG MORRISSEY & JOHNNY - IN FACT
THE TWO WERE MORE INTERESTED IN BEING A SONG WRITING TEAM
(SO THEY COULD SEE THEIR NAMES IN PRINT AFTER THE SONG TITLE -
LIKE LEIBER & STOLLER)THAN CREATING A BAND...OH, & ELVIS DID
WRITE A FEW OF HIS OWN SONGS...BUT WITH A VOICE LIKE THAT HE
DIDN'T NEED TO TO DO ANYTHING BUT SING...