FYI: More Grand Proclamations From Tom DeLonge

• Thread starter The Seeker of Good Songs
  • Start date
T

The Seeker of Good Songs

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=123619

October 4, 2005

Blink-182's Tom DeLonge recently revealed what has been keeping him busy during the group's indefinite hiatus: a new band called Angels & Airwaves. DeLonge announced the band's existence with a grand statement that the music he was working on would be "the greatest rock and roll revolution for this generation."

Now DeLonge has spoken in more depth to MTV.com, comparing Angels & Airwaves to such heavy hitters as Pink Floyd, U2 and The Cure. "There's never been a band from America that sounded like this. Pink Floyd, The Cure, The Police, U2, Coldplay — they all come from Europe — and this band, it has the conceptual depth of Pink Floyd, it has the anthemic architecture of U2 but it has the energy and youthful vibrancy of Blink. I'm freaking out," he said. "And I'm not saying this lightly. Every single person who's heard the music understands. If I ever had the chance in my life to do something on a whole different level from anything I've ever done before, this is it."

MTV.com reports that ex-Distillers bassist Ryan Sinn, Rocket From The Crypt/Offspring drummer Atom Willard and former Box Car Racer guitarist David Kennedy all appear on the album. DeLonge says to expect an epic, "autobiographical" record full of seven-minute songs with "dramatic crescendos and huge stadium choruses."

DeLonge has even bigger plans for Angels & Airwaves, extending to a film version of the album, which will tell his side of the story of the Blink separation. "Since [Pink Floyd's] The Wall, this has never been done. A third of the movie is CGI, a third of the movie is a documentary and a third of it is a love story. And it basically tells the story of the breakup of one of the biggest bands in the world and the creation of the world's greatest rock band," DeLonge said. "It's a documentary about the past year of my life. But the whole thing is done with metaphors and analogies of World War II."

He adds, "I love Mark [Hoppus] and Travis [Barker] to death. They were my best friends in the world, and I miss them tremendously. At the end, our priorities were mad different, and I haven't spoke to them since [the hiatus]. So instead of talking, I just made this album and this film. There's a story line that runs throughout it, it's autobiographical, I felt like I lost my two best friends, I lost the band I created, and I did it all for my family. And so I decided to write the album and make the movie about my life. But rather than sit there and whine, I used analogies about love and war, because that's what this whole thing was like. Playing music in the wake of the Blink thing was like finding love in the middle of a war zone."