Strangeways Mailing List Archive

B

Ben

Having enjoyed Morrissey-Solo as a common meeting place for Smiths fan for so many years now, it's almost hard to remember the days when fellow fans were so hard to find. However while doing some research tonite I stumbled across a link to a bit of Smiths fan nostalgia. Way back around 1991 (before the graphically internet proper) there was an email distribution list called "Strangeways". The list was established as a way for fans (who had email accounts - not all that common back then) to meet and share news. It's hard to believe it's been almost 15 years since those days of trading cassette tapes through the mail, photocopied fanzines and email distribution lists. Anyway, if you're feeling a bit nostalgic or just want to see what fellow fans were talking about back then...here's a link to an archive of many of those "Strangeways" emails:

http://www.etext.org/Zines/ASCII/Strangeways/

Enjoy,
Ben

> across a link to a bit of Smiths fan nostalgia. Way back around 1991
> (before the graphically internet proper) there was an email distribution
> list called "Strangeways". The list was established as a way for
> fans (who had email accounts - not all that common back then) to meet and
> share news. It's hard to believe it's been almost 15 years since those
> days of trading cassette tapes through the mail, photocopied fanzines and
> email distribution lists. Anyway, if you're feeling a bit nostalgic or
> just want to see what fellow fans were talking about back then...here's a
> link to an archive of many of those "Strangeways" emails:

thanks for that Ben, quite a few familiar names there. this list is still going btw, although its changed names along the years - but i believe its one of the longest running fan lists on the 'net! i'm not sure of the exact order, but after Strangeways it became Moztalk (or was Moztalk first??), Bigmouth, Ask, Panic and now Maladjusted.

-r

Back
Top Bottom