Collaboration: Angelic Upstarts

T

Tingle

I can think of no reason why Morrissey wouldn't be writing with the Angelic Upstarts.

He's been absolutely obsessed with them for ages.

They reformed last year

Their fans get a bad press.

Why not?

1992: Moz reportedly 'Hanging around with' lead singer Mensi

1994 Q Magazine: "Q: What do you do all day? A:Isn't that a very Hello! question? Nothing that would interest you. Sit and listen to The Angelic Upstarts. Whom I've now mentioned for the third time."

1995 Cardiff: "The tambourine for that night had the name 'MENSI' on it. Mensi is the name of one of the members of the Angelic Upstarts, one of Morrissey's favourite groups."

1995 Intermission tune : Angelic Upstarts' Never Had Nothing

BTW have you ever looked at www.music-map.com - it's mildly interesting.

> I can think of no reason why Morrissey wouldn't be writing with the
> Angelic Upstarts.

> He's been absolutely obsessed with them for ages.

> They reformed last year

> Their fans get a bad press.

> Why not?

> 1992: Moz reportedly 'Hanging around with' lead singer Mensi

> 1994 Q Magazine: "Q: What do you do all day? A:Isn't that a very
> Hello! question? Nothing that would interest you. Sit and listen to The
> Angelic Upstarts. Whom I've now mentioned for the third time."

> 1995 Cardiff: "The tambourine for that night had the name 'MENSI' on
> it. Mensi is the name of one of the members of the Angelic Upstarts, one
> of Morrissey's favourite groups."

> 1995 Intermission tune : Angelic Upstarts' Never Had Nothing

> BTW have you ever looked at www.music-map.com - it's mildly interesting.

You make a good case for the Upstarts.

Sk.

what ever happened to the Communards?

I'd rather see an AU or GO4 collab though.
Anyone remeber 'Damaged Goods' by the GO4, top class song.
how does it go...
"damaged goods whoa-oh-oh.
refund the cost
give me the change
they said would do me good
you said your cheap
but
you're too much"
or summat like that, times a great shoveller!

love

Grim

> You make a good case for the Upstarts.

> Sk.

Isn't Morrissey plastering up an AU poster at the beginning of the "Introducing Morrissey" video, too?

morrisseytour mentioned that the collaborators in question played at Morrissey's Meltdown last year, but AU didn't, or did they?

I know who it is - big ol Punks!

I reckon it's Slaughter & the Dogs, he tried out for them & failed back way back when when? Second chance offer! I mean I'm sure he could do 'where have all the bootboys gone?' eh?

love

Grim

> what ever happened to the Communards?

> I'd rather see an AU or GO4 collab though.
> Anyone remeber 'Damaged Goods' by the GO4, top class song.
> how does it go...
> "damaged goods whoa-oh-oh.
> refund the cost
> give me the change
> they said would do me good
> you said your cheap
> but
> you're too much"
> or summat like that, times a great shoveller!

> love

> Grim

King Leer I believe you're correct about the Morrissey depicted flyposting for AU but where do you get the idea that the collaborators played at Meltdown last year? I've looked again at Angela's posts from Monday and Thursday and I don't see it. Was it mentioned on that site? Angela/Slug mentions that they played a gig but it doesn't say "at Meltdown". AU apparently played a gig in Germany in 2004.

FROM MORRISSEYTOUR.COM

Thursday, July 14, 2005

OK stop e-mailing me

Okay, stop e-mailing me about the Morrissey collaboration thingy. Also it must be a very slow week in Morrissey news for that to be top story on Morrissey-solo.com. It's not so much a story as it is an interesting tidbit. Initially I was given permission to release the details about the new collaborators but then a week later I was asked not to. Apparently the band is nervous that if the info gets out Moz will change his mind or something. I dunno. Also, I got the impression that the guys in the band were only collaborating for a few songs. I didn't get the impression that they were writing a whole album or taking over for Boz or Alain.

I haven't seen any correct guesses. No, it's definately not Oasis! All I can say without giving it away is that they were an 80's band. I think their peak period was 1980-81. They played a gig last year so I guess they're still going in some capacity? There's a book about them due to be released soon.

As soon as I can release the details I will. But probably by then someone would have already figured it out.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Guess who's collaborating with Morrissey now?

Ok, I don't know if the last Popbitch story is true, but I do know that a very good source recently informed me that Morrissey is currently collaborating with someone other than Boz & Alain.

I've been sworn to secrecy not to reveal just who it is. Apparently these new collaborators - yes that's plural - have been writing tracks for Moz and sending them across the Atlantic to LA.

These collaborators, who in my opinion are criticized more for their fanbase than music, are sure to raise an eyebrow or two. Quite possibly it's a fantastic new direction for Moz.

> Isn't Morrissey plastering up an AU poster at the beginning of the
> "Introducing Morrissey" video, too?

> morrisseytour mentioned that the collaborators in question played at
> Morrissey's Meltdown last year, but AU didn't, or did they?

> King Leer I believe you're correct about the Morrissey depicted flyposting
> for AU but where do you get the idea that the collaborators played at
> Meltdown last year? I've looked again at Angela's posts from Monday and
> Thursday and I don't see it. Was it mentioned on that site? Angela/Slug
> mentions that they played a gig but it doesn't say "at
> Meltdown". AU apparently played a gig in Germany in 2004.

She only mentioned in one of her original posts in the first thread about this on the main page (before she said "Stop emailing me" etc.). It's in there somewhere. That's why I couldn't understand why people kept guessing other band names after she said the "mystery" band had also played at Meltdown.

That would be great.

All of the punk, none of the Nazi bullshit.

That would certainly be an interesting collaboration, though I can't imagine hearing Morrissey's vocals on a fast punk track at this point in his career. Most of 'Quarry' was fairly down-tempo!

Why is Moz so into the skinhead/Oi stuff?
It goes against that whole talk of his about being gentle and kind and anti-macho rock groups when The Smiths first appeared...

> She only mentioned in one of her original posts in the first thread about
> this on the main page (before she said "Stop emailing me" etc.).
> It's in there somewhere. That's why I couldn't understand why people kept
> guessing other band names after she said the "mystery" band had
> also played at Meltdown.

> Why is Moz so into the skinhead/Oi stuff?
> It goes against that whole talk of his about being gentle and kind and
> anti-macho rock groups when The Smiths first appeared...

I think you've just answered your own question. I think he enjoys a certain aspect of it because it goes completely against what he is. It's what he can never be.

Cockney Rejects seems more likely.

> She only mentioned in one of her original posts in the first thread about
> this on the main page (before she said "Stop emailing me" etc.).
> It's in there somewhere. That's why I couldn't understand why people kept
> guessing other band names after she said the "mystery" band had
> also played at Meltdown.

I didn't see her refer to Meltdown either, but if she did, it's gotta be the Cockney Rejects.

I'm surprised people didn't check on the other tidbit she mentioned: That there's a book about the band forthcoming. I see nothing about an Angelic Upstarts book, however there is one out next month on the Cockney Rejects: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1844540545/qid=1121755720/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_16_1/202-5421008-5163009

So...the Cockney Rejects fit all of the hints. Plus, Moz was in contact with them, and had them on his mind, last year. So...that's that, I guess. Unless MorrisseyTour is full of it.

I have one CD. "The Power & the Glory." Never took a great liking to it, but I always assumed they must have MUCH better stuff and I simply picked the wrong CD. It would potentially be a fun collaboration.

Does Morrissey know that Black Francis/Frank Black stated some years ago that he wanted to write music for Moz? I'm not saying I'd want to see that, and I don't think Moz would so it's a moot point. Just didn't know if that's common knowledge.

Makes sense.
Thanks for replying!

> I think you've just answered your own question. I think he enjoys a
> certain aspect of it because it goes completely against what he is. It's
> what he can never be.

Re: That would be great.

> All of the punk, none of the Nazi bullshit.

> That would certainly be an interesting collaboration, though I can't
> imagine hearing Morrissey's vocals on a fast punk track at this point in
> his career. Most of 'Quarry' was fairly down-tempo!

another album like your arsenal would suite me fine.

Back
Top Bottom