3. Van Halen.
4. The Eagles.
5. Journey.
6. Guns N' Roses.
7. The Grateful Dead.
8. Queensryche.
9. The Doors.
10. R.E.M.
11. The Allman Brothers Band and Fleetwood Mac (tie).
12. Metallica.
13. KISS.
14. The Ramones.
15. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and Creedence Clearwater Revival (tie).
16. Dave Matthews Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd (tie).
17. The Beach Boys.
18. Nirvana.
19. The Replacements.
20. Bon Jovi.

hmmpf! and rubbish I say.

More details on it all at the USA Today link.

And the greatest American rock band ever is ...

Pearl Jam wins! Hell yes!

And though the results were close, there could only be one winner. So, without further ado, I present your top pick for the greatest American rock band of all time:

Pearl Jam.

Everybody's all-American: Pearl Jam outranked Nirvana, Van Halen and The Doors in last week's poll.

Yes, the Seattle rockers outranked powerhouses such as Van Halen (No. 3), The Doors (No. 9) and Nirvana, which landed at No. 18. At first, I was shocked by the choice (to be honest, I fully expected Aerosmith to win). But the more e-mail I read, the more it began to make sense.

Why is Pearl Jam the greatest? Here's what you said:

•They've stayed true to themselves. "Instead of selling out with videos and constant press coverage, they pulled back at their height, and focused on the music," wrote Willie McNabb in El Dorado, Ark. "They belong up there with Neil Young, Zeppelin and The Beatles because they never compromised their integrity, which is really all any of us have."

•The music rocks. From Atlanta reader Tom Baker: "They've continually reshaped their sound, album after album, and are still making great, vital music 12+ years into their career. What else could you want?"

You debated, you voted and now you've chosen the No. 1 American rock band of all time.

•Their records sell ... "... because they're good, not because they've been hyped to death by the media," McNabb added.

•There have been scores of imitators. "How many Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder knockoffs have invaded rock radio since Ten?" asked Scott Jordan, another Atlanta fan.

•Their concerts are first-rate — and affordable. Jake Mohlman from Barrington, R.I., praised the band for keeping ticket prices low. "It's unique in an era when most artists gouge their fans to the limit," he wrote. "Likewise, releasing their shows on low-cost bootlegs brings a new dimension to seeing one of their shows."

Back
Top Bottom