Pulp "We Love Life": discuss

J

jp

I was kind of down on this when it came out, but lately I've been giving it a second chance and it's grown on me considerably. Still doesn't hold a candle to the three records that preceded it, but it has its own merits.

Re: mediocre, with a few interesting moments.

i always enjoyed "minnie timperly" and "bad cover version," but lately some other tracks have grown on me, in particular "the birds" and "weeds." definitely mediocre by pulp's standards, but overall not as bad as i used to think.

also, the artwork and pictures of the band are kind of depressing. like morrissey, they've grown up, but now they seem to appear much less stylish, witty and dare i say "naughty."

I must say that I went through the same phase, though it happened after only two weeks. When I first heard the record I had a hard time recognising that certain pulp sound. But after an evening of a very nice jigsaw puzzle, a bottle of perfectly chilled rosé and 'we love life' I love it! And I now think it is all the way up there with his'n'hers, different class and this is hardcore.

I think it is even better than this is hardcore............
but not as good as "his n hers" or even "Separations" and "Freaks"....For me those are the best pulp albums

trees

i've loved pulp for years, but this album is fantastic, especially being a scott walker fan. "trees" is far and away my fave pulp song ever.

Re: trees

The last song on the album is amazing. What is Jarvis doing nowadays?

He's hocking vodka, I have heard. The track Sunrise is good, but I like Trees the best as well I think. I really like Last Day Of The Miners Strike though. One of the best tracks from the We Love Life period.

> The last song on the album is amazing. What is Jarvis doing nowadays?

and don't forget the video for the trees. it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

jarv is djing this saturday

with Steve Mackey at Druzzi's Warehouse Party Shoreditch..

How has no-one mentioned Wickerman? An epic with a definate nod to Scott Walker... Almost up there with Sheffield Sex City...

I like the album despite Walkers production (which is horrible) and anything with a sleeve designed by Peter Saville is fantastic in my book...

Back
Top Bottom