Oh dear...why I will live my life, as I will undoubtedly die - ALONE.

C

Codreanu

"The Harris survey was conducted among 1,003 men and 1,128 women 18 or older from across the United States. Among the findings:

•75 percent of women said their ideal man buys his grooming products at a grocery store or drugstore, not a salon.
•72 percent of women said their ideal man spends his free time doing home-improvement projects.
•41 percent of women said their ideal man spends his time watching sports.
•47 percent of women said their ideal man spends his money on electronics, compared with 9 percent who answered "designer clothes."
•90 percent of women said they prefer low-maintenance, easygoing guys."

Here is the Kicker:

"In Oklahoma City, they may or may not be looking for the Dodge man. The redneck women are looking for the redneck men"

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20050407-121528-6317r.htm

> "The Harris survey was conducted among 1,003 men and 1,128 women 18
> or older from across the United States. Among the findings:

> •75 percent of women said their ideal man buys his grooming products at a
> grocery store or drugstore, not a salon.
> •72 percent of women said their ideal man spends his free time doing
> home-improvement projects.
> •41 percent of women said their ideal man spends his time watching sports.
> •47 percent of women said their ideal man spends his money on electronics,
> compared with 9 percent who answered "designer clothes."
> •90 percent of women said they prefer low-maintenance, easygoing
> guys."

> Here is the Kicker:

> "In Oklahoma City, they may or may not be looking for the Dodge man.
> The redneck women are looking for the redneck men"

> http://washingtontimes.com/national/20050407-121528-6317r.htm

DODGE TRUCKS?! Ah ha!

ON SPORTS:

Watching sports? No!

Playing sports? Yes!

ON FREE TIME:

Doing home improvement projects? No!

Making love? Yes!

> "The Harris survey was conducted among 1,003 men and 1,128 women 18
> or older from across the United States. Among the findings:

> •75 percent of women said their ideal man buys his grooming products at a
> grocery store or drugstore, not a salon.
> •72 percent of women said their ideal man spends his free time doing
> home-improvement projects.
> •41 percent of women said their ideal man spends his time watching sports.
> •47 percent of women said their ideal man spends his money on electronics,
> compared with 9 percent who answered "designer clothes."
> •90 percent of women said they prefer low-maintenance, easygoing
> guys."

> Here is the Kicker:

> "In Oklahoma City, they may or may not be looking for the Dodge man.
> The redneck women are looking for the redneck men"

> http://washingtontimes.com/national/20050407-121528-6317r.htm

It gets worse...

"Not all observers agree with the survey results.

"Women are looking for confident men, not manly men," says David Wygant, relationship consultant and co-author of "Always Talk to Strangers.""

Confident, manly...0 out of 2!

"A full 61 percent of women surveyed said they would rather see a man's hands rough and working hard than well-manicured, a slap in the face to the extreme-makeover, suave-guy crowd."

Is it any wonder why Moz prefers the company of men?

One of my biggest pet peeves is a man with dirt under his nails. It just makes me cringe.

I had a neighbor that said she wouldn't date a man that didn't use his hands to make a living.

This makes me think of the concept habitus. Are you familiar with the theories of Pierre Bourdieu?

Habitus:

From Wikipedia

"In post-structuralist thought, habitus, a concept defined by Pierre Bourdieu, is the total ideational (or, better yet, existential) environment of a person. This includes the person's beliefs and dispositions, and prefigures everything that that person may choose to do. The concept of habitus challenges the concept of free will, in that within a certain habitus at any one time, choices are not limitless—here are limited dispositions, or readinesses for action. A person is not an automaton, for there exists flexibility in a habitus, but neither is there complete free will."

"A large part of the concept of habitus is that it brings attention to the fact that there are limitless options for action that a person would never think of, and therefore those options don't really exist as possibilities. In normal social situations, a person relies upon a large store of scripts and a large store of knowledge, which present that person with a certain picture of the world and how she or he thinks to behave within it."

"A person's habitus cannot be fully known to the person, as it exists largely within the realm of the unconscious and includes things as visceral as body movements and postures, and it also includes the most basic aspects of thought and knowledge about the world, including about the habitus itself."

This makes me think of the Beverly Hillbillies. Even though they struck it rich, and moved to Beverly Hills, they would never be able to adopt an upper class habitus. You could change their environment, but you couldn't take the 'hillbilly' out of them.

Anyhow, what you need is a woman with a similar habitus as yourself.

> One of my biggest pet peeves is a man with dirt under his nails. It just
> makes me cringe.

I know what you mean, my nephew has the grimiest nails imaginable -- I tend to fixate on them during family dinners, you know, when dishes are passed.

Anyway, this is never an issue for a neurotic hand-washer (and wringer) such as I.

> I had a neighbor that said she wouldn't date a man that didn't use his
> hands to make a living.

I could make a really dirty joke right now...

> This makes me think of the concept habitus. Are you familiar with the
> theories of Pierre Bourdieu?

I have never read Bourdieu. I am glancingly familiar with the idea of habitus though, from an essay which touched on the contrast between Bourdieu's term and the Marxian educationalist Paulo Friere's unique model of the individual/social dialectic. I am really intrigued with the concept and think it of great theoretic utility, provided one succeeds in intigrating "Spirit" without too great an adulteration of the notion.

> Anyhow, what you need is a woman with a similar habitus as yourself.

But what if I am caught springing her from the asylum?

> I have never read Bourdieu. I am glancingly familiar with the idea of
> habitus though, from an essay which touched on the contrast between
> Bourdieu's term and the Marxian educationalist Paulo Friere's unique model
> of the individual/social dialectic. I am really intrigued with the concept
> and think it of great theoretic utility, provided one succeeds in
> intigrating "Spirit" without too great an adulteration of the
> notion.

Bourdieu's concept of habitus moves away from hardline deterministic/structuralist notions of human agency. He believes that habitus is not fixed but flexible. Free will does come into play because he believes that one's habitus is aquired -- a product of socialization, rather than an innate status ascribed at birth.

I am very intrigued by the concept habitus as well. I think it has much utility -- especially in the wake of globalization. Though Bourdieu was a fierce opponnent of this.

> But what if I am caught springing her from the asylum?

Well, I for one, won't tell anyone.

Back
Top Bottom