This article on the ambitious ousiders of the music world is interesting! What outsiders do u like?

5% Human Being

And not just because it mentions my new darling, Regina Spektor.

This guy's exactly right. The world is sick of manufactured pop stars who's only ambition is to be famous. Just as Morrissey was singing about on "The World Is full Of Crashing Bores."

I listened to some sound clips of this Joanna Newsom artist and they sound pretty cool in a weird, child-like kind of way.

I've actually never listened to Kate Bush. Do people like her? So much music to explore, so little time.....

To make this a legitimate thread topic, I'll ask the question: Whom do you like who is amongst the new crop of musical outsiders, unspoiled by the cynical, money-grubbing industry in which they work?

http://news.scotsman.com/features.cfm?id=319892005

=====
The outsiders

ANDREW EATON

DO YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE between the sprout and the bean? You don’t? Then I’ll tell you. It’s a golden ring. It’s a twisted string. And you can ask the councillor. You can ask the king, and they’ll say the same thing. It’s a funny thing.

If you’re thinking that last paragraph was just beamed in from the planet Venus, you should hear it sung in a high-pitched, cartoonish squawk by an elf-like girl in a floral patterned dress, playing the harp. She is Joanna Newsom, she is from California, and she has made an album called The Milk-Eyed Mender which you really must hear. On the cover there is embroidery and child-like drawings of a unicorn, a swan, a butterfly and a dumper truck, among other things. Inside there are fairy-tale songs populated by bats, dragons, knights and canaries, and language - dirigibles, poetaster, lateen, goneness - that will have many listeners buried in a dictionary for hours.

There are many appealing things about Newsom, but the principal one is that she seems so unspoiled by the money-grubbing, cynical industry in which she works. You could surely never "manufacture" her (you would, at least, be insane to try), yet she is currently getting a lot of attention, and could potentially be a big star. She is that rare find - a performer who seems to exist completely outside fashion or the usual commercial rules, looking and sounding like nothing else on earth, and yet, precisely by doing all of this, wins converts wherever she goes. While others are hyped as the "new Killers", or the "new Franz Ferdinand", it’s difficult to imagine Newsom being hyped as the "new" anybody. She is just her.

Here’s the paradox, though - such rare finds are strangely common at the moment. Just out this month is I Am a Bird Now, by the extraordinary Antony (he has no surname, being a unique creature). Antony is a New York performance artist and transsexual, whose instantly recognisable singing voice is one part Boy George to two parts Jeff Buckley. He has won champions in Lou Reed and Rufus Wainwright, both of whom appear on his album - although perhaps, out of respect, I should say "her" album, since I’ve never heard the transsexual experience described so movingly. "One day I’ll grow up to be a beautiful woman," he/she sings in a voice both trembling and triumphant. "But for today I am a boy." Over in Britain, we have Patrick Wolf, a dark-eyed, romantic soul described by one critic as "part Calvin Klein hunk, part Pre-Raphaelite street urchin", whose current album Wind in the Wires is dedicated "to the West Country, to the autumn gales, to electricity, to magic". Wolf’s song The Libertine, which mourns the blandness of celebrity culture, is an eloquent summary of the appeal of pop outsiders such as himself - rebels against shallow fashion and ambition. "In this drought of truth and invention, whoever shouts the loudest gets the most attention. So we pass the mic and they’ve got nothing to say except: ‘Bow down, bow down, bow down to your god.’ Well I can’t, and I won’t bow down any more.’"

I could go on. Regina Spektor, Martin Grech, Arcade Fire, Devendra Banhart, Piney Gir, Simon Bookish. All are, in their own way, wonderfully unusual. Perhaps the internet has simply made it easier for word to spread about such finds, allowing music-lovers to bypass conservative radio playlists, and making that slippery, sought-after buzz, "word of mouth", louder and swifter. Perhaps more musicians are listening to more varied music than ever before, feeding their diverse influences into bizarre new hybrid musical forms (Wolf’s music has been described, in a brilliant contradiction, as "laptop folk").

Whatever the reasons, there is something in the air, and it bodes well for the imminent, long-delayed return of that queen of musical misfits, Kate Bush. Bush, lest we forget, launched her career just as the UK was in the grip of Punk (January 1978, the month of the Sex Pistols’ infamous US tour) by releasing a melodramatic piano ballad inspired by an Emily Brontë novel. Her mentor? Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd, probably the least fashionable band of the time, their progressive rock considered beyond the pale by most punks. The result? One of the best-loved songs of the past 25 years, Wuthering Heights. Bush has been heroically ignoring both fashion and received commercial wisdom ever since, whether dressing like a gay pirate, getting Rolf Harris to play didgeridoo on one of her songs, or baffling most of her hard-won audience with The Dreaming, one of the most pigheadedly uncommercial albums ever released on a major label.

Given that Kate Bush has released nothing since 1993’s The Red Shoes, her return will be one of the biggest musical events of this year. Her influence can be detected everywhere - Gwen Stefani’s loopy performance at the Brits, in particular, was very Kate Bush - but it’s a good time to remind ourselves that, if she has become something of a national treasure, it has a lot to do with the fact that a genuine misfit - 1978’s equivalent of Antony or Joanna Newsom - became a huge star.

Pop stars who make us feel we can shine by stubbornly being ourselves will, I suspect, always win warmer admiration than pop stars who, deliberately or not, make us feel we must dress in the right clothes, lose weight or fit into any "tribe" in order to be loved and accepted. I suspect that Kate Bush’s extended absence will make people like her all the more. She has stayed away so long, by all accounts, simply because she was enjoying being a mother, and had no great interest in either releasing music or remaining famous simply for the sake of it.

It’s a sentiment Joanna Newsom would surely endorse. Asked recently if she had advice for people who wanted to do music, she replied: "There has to be a need. It should be a need to expel or to exorcise something rather than the need to perform in front of people." Perhaps, as we tire of celebrities whose only ambition is to be famous, and pop stars created by audition, the likes of Newsom will appeal more and more. I hope so.
=====

Re: This article on the ambitious ousiders of the music world is interesting! What outsiders do u li

Joanna Newsom is utterly wonderful. I first heard her on one of those free NME cds - in a morass of leaden guitar rock, her track The Sprout And The Bean stood out, and made me take notice - I was mesmerised. My missus laughed when I played it, but then I bought the album, The Milk-Eyed Mender, and it's an absolute joy. I missed her in Leeds last week because I was abroad. She has a child-like innocence which shines through in her voice, and the harp playing smacks of the delicate guitar picking of Marr - you can translate the chords straight across onto a guitar, but it doesn't sound as nice. Anyway, I've said enough. You can see the video to The Sprout And The Bean at the link below. We have it constantly on in the kitchen when preparing meals - it just seems to fit well.

Sk.

Joanna Newsom stuff

Re: This article on the ambitious ousiders of the music world is interesting! What outsiders do u li

> Joanna Newsom is utterly wonderful. I first heard her on one of those free
> NME cds - in a morass of leaden guitar rock, her track The Sprout And The
> Bean stood out, and made me take notice - I was mesmerised. My missus
> laughed when I played it, but then I bought the album, The Milk-Eyed
> Mender, and it's an absolute joy. I missed her in Leeds last week because
> I was abroad. She has a child-like innocence which shines through in her
> voice, and the harp playing smacks of the delicate guitar picking of Marr
> - you can translate the chords straight across onto a guitar, but it
> doesn't sound as nice. Anyway, I've said enough. You can see the video to
> The Sprout And The Bean at the link below. We have it constantly on in the
> kitchen when preparing meals - it just seems to fit well.

> Sk.

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna get her album for sure.

> To make this a legitimate thread topic, I'll ask the question: Whom do you
> like who is amongst the new crop of musical outsiders, unspoiled by the
> cynical, money-grubbing industry in which they work?

Great! A subject in which I can claim some familiarity, as approximately 70% of the music I appreciate could fall under the rubric: "outsider music." What exasperates me about this article, and others of its ilk, is that it concerns artists' (Antony and the Johnsons*, Devendra Banhart, Arcade Fire) who, far from being outside the mainstream, happen to be quite trendy at the moment, garnering critical plaudits in the major press. Much of my music consists of artists that could only dream of obtaining such recognition.

And really, how could one take seriously a piece on outsider music that did not mention the outsider par excellence Jandek!

*The opening number on 'I am a Bird Now" is stunning; I wish I could say the same for the remainder of the album.
http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1DEGZFAWLQK0M3HY3SOHWU4CDZ

Mystery man
The Jandek story
by Douglas Wolk
The longest-running, weirdest, loneliest enigma in popular music is a guy from Texas who calls himself Jandek. His album The Beginning has just been released on the Corwood Industries label (Box 15375, Houston, Texas 77220), which has put out all 28 of his albums and nothing else that anyone knows of. It's been accompanied by a reissue of his very first album, Ready for the House, which originally came out in 1978 and was credited to the Units. (He's the only musician on it; all subsequent albums, and the reissue, are billed as Jandek.)
Jandek has never performed in public. He has never willingly given an interview, though a reporter from Texas Monthly tracked him down a few months ago (they chatted about allergies and gardening, and he politely told her that he never wanted to be contacted in person about Jandek by anybody again). All his albums have a fuzzy photograph on the front cover, of a man or part of a house or some curtains. The back covers have his name, the album title, the track titles and times, and Corwood's address, all typeset in the same nondescript font -- except for 1991's One Foot in the North, which uses a sort of Chinese-restaurant font. That's it: that's all anyone knows.

And what does his music sound like? Like pure desolation. Jandek is not just solo but profoundly alone on most of his recordings, picking distractedly at a guitar tuned to no particular notes, moaning in no particular key about thinking and love and wandering around and staying in the same place and God. Beyond that, there's just emptiness -- each off-key ping floats out separately into black space. Sometimes Jandek sounds as if he'd internalized the grimmest death-letter blues of the '20s and is pulling them back out of himself, thoroughly dismembered, hair by hair. His songs have no choruses, no hooks, no melodies, no rhythms, no internal progression, nothing but the inexorable Chinese-water-torture plod of Samuel Beckett's The Unnameable: "I can't go on, I'll go on."

Some people who hear Jandek think it's some kind of put-on -- but it's hard to imagine a joke's being maintained so scrupulously for more than 20 years of recording and releasing and the same post-office box. Most people simply find it unbearable: it's certainly monotonous and deeply unpretty and (for the most part) uncathartic and all but completely structureless. And then there are the people who can hardly stand to listen to anything else for days or weeks on end, who obsess over the mystery of Jandek. (I find myself sometimes in the second category and sometimes in the third.) Seth Tisue has set up www.cs.nwu.edu/~tisue/jandek/, which features an extensively annotated discography that tracks the nuances of Jandek's career, describing each album's themes and cover images. White Box Requiem, he notes, is "almost catatonically mopey and meandering . . . it's not like Blue Corpse, which is a record about emotional devastation with some perspective on it, not from totally inside it. Also different from the weird detachment and diffidence of Twelfth Apostle and Graven Image." Of one cover, he says, "This is one of those pictures that the photo lab gives you a refund on."

The rewards of obsession with Jandek are discovering the variations in his oeuvre's gray expanses that become, by comparison, as spectacular as cherry blossoms. On a few albums, a woman who might be named Nancy sings a bit (song title: "Nancy Sings"); occasionally, people wander in and play drums or another guitar, instruments that they don't seem to have encountered before. Sometimes Jandek plays mostly electric rather than acoustic guitar; 1992's Lost Cause includes a couple of pieces that are almost conventionally songlike, plus a 20-minute screeching blowout called "The Electric End."

And even though his work is essentially of a piece -- the despairing one-note-at-a-time meanderings of Ready for the House's "They Told Me About You" and The Beginning's "I Never Left You Anyway," released 21 years apart, might have come from the same afternoon's impulse -- each album has a distinct identity, and its own little shocks of revelation. The title track of The Beginning is a 15-minute improvisation on piano, an instrument Jandek's never essayed before, though it's as far out of tune as you'd imagine. And in many ways, Ready is the key to the rest of Jandek's work: he's used lines from its lyrics as later album titles (Staring at the Cellophane, Chair Beside a Window, Somebody in the Snow), re-recorded its "European Jewel" multiple times, and made the template for his career out of its bold, willful disposal of everything about songs but their need to exist and to be heard. Compared to "real" pop music, Jandek's songs are terrifyingly ugly; in the context of his decades of persistence, the range and mass of his work, they become intensely beautiful and meaningful. They are absolute, pure self-expression, an unfocused, unlit snapshot of his entire adult life. As he told the Texas Monthly reporter who asked him whether he wanted people to "get" what he was doing, "There's nothing to get."

2 min. trailer of documentary on Jandek (10.1MB).
http://www.jandekoncorwood.com/trailers/jandek_on_corwood_large.wmv

Speaking of outsider music, I have been listening to ONQ's downloadable short album "Nothing You Could Be Happy For" (LOVE the song 'Frigor Mortisero') overmuch lately. The sound could only be described as very Lo-fi-Psychedelic-Sadcore; a little left-field, but intriguing.

http://www.undermybed.org/onq/nothing.zip

> Great! A subject in which I can claim some familiarity, as approximately
> 70% of the music I appreciate could fall under the rubric: "outsider
> music."

To tell the truth, I was hoping you, in particular, would post more music recommendations. You know a lot of obscure stuff that doesn't suck. I don't know how you find out about some of it! I have Tarnation on order now.

>What exasperates me about this article, and others of its
> ilk, is that it concerns artists' (Antony and the Johnsons*, Devendra
> Banhart, Arcade Fire) who, far from being outside the mainstream, happen
> to be quite trendy at the moment, garnering critical plaudits in the major
> press. Much of my music consists of artists that could only dream of
> obtaining such recognition.

Yeah, but part of the point of the article was to note that these artists are getting popular right now - may even become big stars - perhaps because people are finally sick of the state of the industry.

> And really, how could one take seriously a piece on outsider music that
> did not mention the outsider par excellence Jandek!

> *The opening number on 'I am a Bird Now" is stunning; I wish I could
> say the same for the remainder of the album.

Personally, I'm not much interested in someone singing about being a transsexual. But more power to those who are.

Thanks for posting this about Jandek.

> http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1DEGZFAWLQK0M3HY3SOHWU4CDZ Mystery
> man
> The Jandek story
> by Douglas Wolk
> The longest-running, weirdest, loneliest enigma in popular music is a guy
> from Texas who calls himself Jandek. His album The Beginning has just been
> released on the Corwood Industries label (Box 15375, Houston, Texas
> 77220), which has put out all 28 of his albums and nothing else that
> anyone knows of. It's been accompanied by a reissue of his very first
> album, Ready for the House, which originally came out in 1978 and was
> credited to the Units. (He's the only musician on it; all subsequent
> albums, and the reissue, are billed as Jandek.)
> Jandek has never performed in public. He has never willingly given an
> interview, though a reporter from Texas Monthly tracked him down a few
> months ago (they chatted about allergies and gardening, and he politely
> told her that he never wanted to be contacted in person about Jandek by
> anybody again). All his albums have a fuzzy photograph on the front cover,
> of a man or part of a house or some curtains. The back covers have his
> name, the album title, the track titles and times, and Corwood's address,
> all typeset in the same nondescript font -- except for 1991's One Foot in
> the North, which uses a sort of Chinese-restaurant font. That's it: that's
> all anyone knows.

> And what does his music sound like? Like pure desolation. Jandek is not
> just solo but profoundly alone on most of his recordings, picking
> distractedly at a guitar tuned to no particular notes, moaning in no
> particular key about thinking and love and wandering around and staying in
> the same place and God. Beyond that, there's just emptiness -- each
> off-key ping floats out separately into black space. Sometimes Jandek
> sounds as if he'd internalized the grimmest death-letter blues of the '20s
> and is pulling them back out of himself, thoroughly dismembered, hair by
> hair. His songs have no choruses, no hooks, no melodies, no rhythms, no
> internal progression, nothing but the inexorable Chinese-water-torture
> plod of Samuel Beckett's The Unnameable: "I can't go on, I'll go
> on."

> Some people who hear Jandek think it's some kind of put-on -- but it's
> hard to imagine a joke's being maintained so scrupulously for more than 20
> years of recording and releasing and the same post-office box. Most people
> simply find it unbearable: it's certainly monotonous and deeply unpretty
> and (for the most part) uncathartic and all but completely structureless.
> And then there are the people who can hardly stand to listen to anything
> else for days or weeks on end, who obsess over the mystery of Jandek. (I
> find myself sometimes in the second category and sometimes in the third.)
> Seth Tisue has set up www.cs.nwu.edu/~tisue/jandek/ , which features an
> extensively annotated discography that tracks the nuances of Jandek's
> career, describing each album's themes and cover images. White Box
> Requiem, he notes, is "almost catatonically mopey and meandering . .
> . it's not like Blue Corpse, which is a record about emotional devastation
> with some perspective on it, not from totally inside it. Also different
> from the weird detachment and diffidence of Twelfth Apostle and Graven
> Image." Of one cover, he says, "This is one of those pictures
> that the photo lab gives you a refund on."

> The rewards of obsession with Jandek are discovering the variations in his
> oeuvre's gray expanses that become, by comparison, as spectacular as
> cherry blossoms. On a few albums, a woman who might be named Nancy sings a
> bit (song title: "Nancy Sings"); occasionally, people wander in
> and play drums or another guitar, instruments that they don't seem to have
> encountered before. Sometimes Jandek plays mostly electric rather than
> acoustic guitar; 1992's Lost Cause includes a couple of pieces that are
> almost conventionally songlike, plus a 20-minute screeching blowout called
> "The Electric End."

> And even though his work is essentially of a piece -- the despairing
> one-note-at-a-time meanderings of Ready for the House's "They Told Me
> About You" and The Beginning's "I Never Left You Anyway,"
> released 21 years apart, might have come from the same afternoon's impulse
> -- each album has a distinct identity, and its own little shocks of
> revelation. The title track of The Beginning is a 15-minute improvisation
> on piano, an instrument Jandek's never essayed before, though it's as far
> out of tune as you'd imagine. And in many ways, Ready is the key to the
> rest of Jandek's work: he's used lines from its lyrics as later album
> titles (Staring at the Cellophane, Chair Beside a Window, Somebody in the
> Snow), re-recorded its "European Jewel" multiple times, and made
> the template for his career out of its bold, willful disposal of
> everything about songs but their need to exist and to be heard. Compared
> to "real" pop music, Jandek's songs are terrifyingly ugly; in
> the context of his decades of persistence, the range and mass of his work,
> they become intensely beautiful and meaningful. They are absolute, pure
> self-expression, an unfocused, unlit snapshot of his entire adult life. As
> he told the Texas Monthly reporter who asked him whether he wanted people
> to "get" what he was doing, "There's nothing to get."

> 2 min. trailer of documentary on Jandek (10.1MB).
> http://www.jandekoncorwood.com/trailers/jandek_on_corwood_large.wmv

Fao Theo ~ Kate Bush mp3 for U~

Running Up That Hill:

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0BK1O0U8S2H7H0IRV9PACY3OI2

Re: Fao Theo ~ Kate Bush mp3 for U~

> Running Up That Hill:

> http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0BK1O0U8S2H7H0IRV9PACY3OI2

Oh cool! Thank you so much!

I'll download this later tonight.

Is it your favorite song by her?

> Oh cool! Thank you so much!

> I'll download this later tonight.

> Is it your favorite song by her?

Yes, it is.

I had a good friend who was smitten with her.

He had posters all over his dorm room.

He also turned me onto The Violent Femmes. Ever hear of them? Their self-titled debut album, from 1983, is still one of my all time favorites.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000066RM6/002-3903416-3107240?v=glance

> He also turned me onto The Violent Femmes. Ever hear of them? Their
> self-titled debut album, from 1983, is still one of my all time favorites.

I do like the Violent Femmes and that is a great album.

> I do like the Violent Femmes and that is a great album.

I saw them live in San Francisco many moons ago.

I can't believe that they are still together.

> To tell the truth, I was hoping you, in particular, would post more music
> recommendations. You know a lot of obscure stuff that doesn't suck. I
> don't know how you find out about some of it! I have Tarnation on order
> now.

Recommendations? Hmmm...I have a million of 'em, but I will only mention the last couple of albums which I enjoyed last night: Khonner "Handwriting" and the debut from the London Apartments. Khonner is a kid to watch out for -- I only hope is that in future he does not disappear down the rabbit-hole of ambient composition.

Khonnor - Handwriting - New York Times Review

Static covers songs like snowdrifts, blurring shapes and hinting at
mysteries, on "Handwriting" (Type), the album Khonnor (a k a Connor
Kirby-Long) made when he was 17. Khonnor, now 18, lives in Vermont and
recorded most of the album in his bedroom with an old computer, a cheap
microphone, a guitar and an obsession with layers of sound. He's an
introvert and not exactly cheerful; as the album begins, he intones,
"Finally convinced myself that I'm not living/Existing is quite a problem."

The songs are slow, laconic meditations. They emerge out of hisses,
buzzes and rustles to reveal stately melodies and the few words Khonnor
wants to sing: often just a single verse, perhaps repeated, confessing
to dislocation and uncertainty in a tone of calm desolation. In "Megan's
Present," he sings: "Something makes me feel like I'm long gone."

Around Khonnor's voice and guitar, sounds don't so much appear as
accrete: echoes, wavery keyboard tones, a sputtering sampled drumbeat,
perhaps a ghostly counterpoint. Eventually his voice drifts out of
earshot, swallowed in the sonic haze like a figure receding in the
distance. Every so often, he shows his influences: the methodical
constructions of the Cure and New Order and the equally methodical
crackles and sputters of Fennesz.

But Khonnor already has his own kind of pensive determination, and
there's always just enough song in his soundscapes to make them sound
personal, not abstract. He sounds utterly alone on "Handwriting," and he
shows how magnificent solipsism can be.

Here are some of my favorite tracks:
http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3TQJDN79KQOWT0XJU5VP12JFNW
http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2W17HB5HX9KYN21150O0ZB3TS0
http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2R9PO02KS7HKV3V6JCRRTPHSFX

I am not yet sold on The London Apartments' debut, but they have an interesting EP available online.
The most salient aspect of this band is the neurotic timbre of the vocal.
How describe this voice? (I am feeling lyrical.)
The distillation of a queasy self-awareness into a viscous drop of autism.
Those most self-referential of whispers which stage the drama of preservation in the yeasty corners of the rooms in us that we neither entered nor may exit; the rooms from which we still hear the clammy rasps of ciccadas in childhood's dripping dusks...
In the droughty register of this vocal, the scant puddles of its sugared waters, I see the sultry spin of exotic hothouse butterflies, formerly vivid; the margins leeched with a crumble of furry moths, sickly in their brittle albinism...against the cloyed tonality there is heard something of a pinched nostalgia, a nostalgia for something not in the past though soaked with it. In the way that ciccadas, butterflies, moths, and other flitting insects are not so much of our childhood, but rather we continue to see then through the eyes of ourselves as children.
I suppose that i am making little sense with these entomological figures and insular connotations of ghastly retention in the scud of backwards hope.
Damn. I should get a job with Pitchfork.

Anyway, The EP can be found here:
http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-details-db.php?collectionid=sis05&collection=sundaysinspring

These are my favorites:
http://www.archive.org/download/sis05/02-the_london_apartments-next_year-SiS-2004.mp3?PHPSESSID=892499751518eb5296b944f1beb119b0
http://www.archive.org/download/sis05/05-the_london_apartments-it_is_never_goodbye-SiS-2004.mp3?PHPSESSID=892499751518eb5296b944f1beb119b0

> To make this a legitimate thread topic, I'll ask the question: Whom do you
> like who is amongst the new crop of musical outsiders, unspoiled by the
> cynical, money-grubbing industry in which they work?

I've only heard Antony's guest appearance on Rufus Wainwright's Want Two, but he does have a remarkable voice, and I will have to check out his stuff!

Patrick Wolf is utterly amazing, and having heard both his debut album "Lycanthropy" and his most recent release "Wind In The Wires", I would highly reccommend both. It's enough to make one forgive him his harsh words regarding the Smiths and Morrissey (he is quite young!).

Regina Spektor, besides being quirky and adorable, is also very, very talented.

Arcade Fire are fantastic (just download the track "Lies").

And Devendra Banhart is an impressive songwriter, has a great voice, and he even manages to make (alternative)folk music sound good.

Just my opinion, though!

Back
Top Bottom