Live at Earls Court cd #16 in Friday's midweeks

Probably all buying the dvd. Any news on how that's doing?

> Anyone else a little surprised at this??

There's not been much promotion has there?

I've sensed a general backlash against Morrissey due to Sanctuary overdoing the promotion for Quarry (Jonathon Ross show was a big mistake).

It's better that he keeps a low profile and I think this release was only ever meant for hardcore fans.

I know a lot of people who found their way back to Morrissey after Jonathan Ross.

Perhaps a LITTLE surprised it hasn't reached the top 10, but then no-one who hasn't bought YATQ is at all likely to buy it, and even of those, as I think Jones said, some will have bought WPTMIM? rather than both. HMV has the DVD at £18 I think and Earls Court at £13. £31 is a lot of cash to shell out on one artist - especially when you probably have all the songs (if not the versions) anyway in one form or another and possibly recorded the MEN gig off of Channel 4. I think 'live' tracks have a bit of a bad reputation too. How often have I picked up a 'free' CD attached to a magazine or newspaper expecting great things only to find that what is being given away is a live version.

> I know a lot of people who found their way back to Morrissey after
> Jonathan Ross.

Yes, but it put a lot of potential new fans off.

If it put them off then they're not really potential new fans, are they? He was only being himself and accepting that is a large part of the deal with Moz.

I bought mine from cdwow as they were a lot cheaper. Their sales don't count towards chart returns but I wasn't too bothered as it doesn't feel like a proper album to me.

> If it put them off then they're not really potential new fans, are they?
> He was only being himself and accepting that is a large part of the deal
> with Moz.

I don't think he was being himself. He was too nervous to be himself. If you didn't know he was shy (which only a fan would know) you'd think he was being rude and completely up himself.

not really. i think that having both an album and a DVD is overkill for one thing...but i realized when i watched the DVD and saw the extra Trafford footage at the end that i was thinking "wait...i just heard these songs about 20 minutes ago" and so it seemed to lose any punch it could have had as a stand alone. doesn't matter that it's a completely different concert.

i mean, let's face it. there are many songs in those collections that he's been playing for years on tour not to mention that they already exist in multiple forms on other albums (Everyday is like Sunday is on Bona Drag, Viva Hate, Oye Esteban and so forth) and so i think that anyone who buys Earl's Court and the DVD are either completists, people who want a souvenir of that night, or people that are recent but enthusiastic fans.

> not really. i think that having both an album and a DVD is overkill for
> one thing...but i realized when i watched the DVD and saw the extra
> Trafford footage at the end that i was thinking "wait...i just heard
> these songs about 20 minutes ago" and so it seemed to lose any punch
> it could have had as a stand alone. doesn't matter that it's a completely
> different concert.

But you didn't have to watch them all at once!

I think the MOVE footage is well worth it because of the crowd participation.

He does sometimes over-release certain songs, I agree with you there. And he should have more diversity in concert set lists. But then, I don't go see him all that much so it's no biggie. That is, however, a reason I don't acquire too many bootlegs. Just a few.

> i mean, let's face it. there are many songs in those collections that he's
> been playing for years on tour not to mention that they already exist in
> multiple forms on other albums (Everyday is like Sunday is on Bona Drag,
> Viva Hate, Oye Esteban and so forth) and so i think that anyone who buys
> Earl's Court and the DVD are either completists, people who want a
> souvenir of that night, or people that are recent but enthusiastic fans.

You buy Earls Court to play on your stereo and you buy the DVD to watch on your TV.

Getting those two isn't being too much of a completist. A real completist hunts down every rarity and all the bootlegs for the entire tour.

Well, I say that just so I don't feel like I'm as obsessive as certain people.

Personally, I wish there was a DVD released after every tour.

> Perhaps a LITTLE surprised it hasn't reached the top 10,

#10...#16...does it really make any difference?

Anyhow, live albums are not really trying to light up the charts the way one wants a proper album to.

>but then no-one
> who hasn't bought YATQ is at all likely to buy it, and even of those, as I
> think Jones said, some will have bought WPTMIM? rather than both.

I bought Quarry several times but only bought Earls once. I bet there are others like me, so that makes a difference.

>HMV has
> the DVD at £18 I think and Earls Court at £13. £31 is a lot of cash to
> shell out on one artist - especially when you probably have all the songs
> (if not the versions) anyway in one form or another and possibly recorded
> the MEN gig off of Channel 4. I think 'live' tracks have a bit of a bad
> reputation too. How often have I picked up a 'free' CD attached to a
> magazine or newspaper expecting great things only to find that what is
> being given away is a live version.

IMHO, "Subway Train/Munich Air Disastor" beats the studio b-side and "You Know I Couldn't Last" beats the "Quarry" version. Put that with "Redondo Beach" and I think it rises to an essential for anyone claiming to like Morrissey.

> But you didn't have to watch them all at once!

why not? it was all on one DVD, that's why!

> I think the MOVE footage is well worth it because of the crowd
> participation.

> He does sometimes over-release certain songs, I agree with you there. And
> he should have more diversity in concert set lists. But then, I don't go
> see him all that much so it's no biggie. That is, however, a reason I
> don't acquire too many bootlegs. Just a few.

some people say there are too many versions of HSIN out there. i say there are too many versions of "Everyday is Like Sunday"

don't know why, never been a huge fan of the song....

...and as i say that i can envision a gang of bequiffeds chasing me down with their bicycle chains.

> You buy Earls Court to play on your stereo and you buy the DVD to watch on
> your TV.

yes, which is why i bought the DVD.

there isn't much point to the CD when you consider it in context that there is a DVD out there with similar songs and gives you the added bonus of being a visual document of an entire concert on morrissey's birthday in manchester complete with blurbs and costume changes. you can hold it up and say, "this is a legitimate event". matter of fact, i think they could have even added more footage before and after the show. not that i particularly need more people gushing on about why Moz is a living God, but the stuff with salford lad's club was nice. i guess there isn't too much that is photogenic about Manchester on the whole.

> Getting those two isn't being too much of a completist. A real completist
> hunts down every rarity and all the bootlegs for the entire tour.

you don't think?

> Well, I say that just so I don't feel like I'm as obsessive as certain
> people.

> Personally, I wish there was a DVD released after every tour.

yes, a DVD i can understand.

> There's not been much promotion has there?

> I've sensed a general backlash against Morrissey due to Sanctuary
> overdoing the promotion for Quarry (Jonathon Ross show was a big mistake).

> It's better that he keeps a low profile and I think this release was only
> ever meant for hardcore fans.

Nope.I think 16 is a fair reflection.Live albums are a real turn off.It might have been different 30 years ago but now you can get a bootleg copy of pretty good quality from virtually any gig you care to mention.

Earl's Court was nothing new.Moz was off the planet for 7 years and i think the only thing that will genuinely excite people is a new studio album.

Back
Top Bottom