Autobiography News

B

Benton

From the Sunday Times Books Diary.

"There’s a tale behind Morrissey’s memoir deal with Penguin. It seems the former Smiths frontman, when offered £1m by Faber, argued that he was worth far more — rumour suggests the astonishing figure of £10m — than John Peel, who’d trousered £2m for his memoirs. This was both ungrateful, as guitarist Johnny Marr said the Smiths’ early success was “largely due to the John Peel Show” , and misinformed; the Peel deal was about £1.5m. So he went to Penguin, settled for a paltry £2m, and heaven knows he’s miserable now."

Sunday Times Books

> From the Sunday Times Books Diary.

> "There’s a tale behind Morrissey’s memoir deal with Penguin. It seems
> the former Smiths frontman, when offered £1m by Faber, argued that he was
> worth far more — rumour suggests the astonishing figure of £10m — than
> John Peel, who’d trousered £2m for his memoirs. This was both ungrateful,
> as guitarist Johnny Marr said the Smiths’ early success was “largely due
> to the John Peel Show” , and misinformed; the Peel deal was about £1.5m.
> So he went to Penguin, settled for a paltry £2m, and heaven knows he’s
> miserable now."

Sounds to me like he was just putting them off by suggesting a ridiculous figure, thinking 'well, if they say yes, they're stupid and I'm quids in!'. That's what I'd do, if I wasn't ready to discuss it! More importantly, does anyone have any real news as to how far ahead it is to being finished?

money money money money money

"You Shall Burn In Hell. And He Shall Burn All Your Hard-Won Banknotes to Ashes. (Think I'm Kidding? Just You Wait.)"

Prophet Peel (in "the Gospel according to S. Gainsbourg" verse 23164, roughly.)

"Hi, it's Kirsty. He's right you know. he's not f***in' kiddin'.Cut it out or you'll be in trouble." (verse 23165)

*"And Nancy Sinatra Shall Use a Disaster As A Publicity Stunt And Shall Fill Stadiums in Europe" ( the Apocalypse, verse 1.)*

"And Other Singles Shall be Postponed till Judgement Day" (verse 2)
...................................................................................................................................
(There really is scary stuff, in the Bible. Too bad you only pay attention when you're dead.)

Back
Top Bottom