Morrissey live performance question

• Thread starter The Seeker of Good Songs
  • Start date
T

The Seeker of Good Songs

After watching a few "live" videos of Morrissey in concert, and seeing him live, though I never thought about it until just now, I observed that he doesn't us any "ear-piece monitors" whereas many other performers do.

This kind of came to mind after reading an item in the discussions here (http://www.morrissey-solo.com/discuss/index.cgi?read=249206).

Not being a musician or performer I don't understand a lot of how it all works.

Is there a reason why some use them and others don't?

Isn't it just the manufactured pop idol types who wear them. The ones for whom one wrong note means the end of their career?

I can't remember seeing singers in rock bands wearing them. It's just not rock and roll is it?

Are you saying, in not so many words, that they are singing along with themselves, so they know what to sing?

generally speaking, people who sing with an earpiece are wankers / wankeresses. but there are quite a few wanker(ess)s who sing without one too.
nice to see you taking such an interest in the topic.

Morrissey doesn't need one because he's almost God.

> After watching a few "live" videos of Morrissey in concert, and
> seeing him live, though I never thought about it until just now, I
> observed that he doesn't us any "ear-piece monitors" whereas
> many other performers do.

> This kind of came to mind after reading an item in the discussions here
> (http://www.morrissey-solo.com/discuss/index.cgi?read=249206).

> Not being a musician or performer I don't understand a lot of how it all
> works.

> Is there a reason why some use them and others don't?

yeah. thats what it does. feed them a track with vocals and sometimes includes the music as well. Moz doesn't do it beucase he doesn't need to. He likely relies on the front feed to keep him in tune. but! often the acoustics in a venue wont allow the artist to properly hear the full range of the music and its very difficult to remain in key and tempo etc. Its really about skill. As you can see from videos etc. 1995 era Moz was the best in show because her really was careful about sound and delivery etc. One he started moving all over the place again it f***ed things up. Movement on stange can change the whole thing really. how he hears the band and how his voice is heard by us.

who's got earpieces? LOADS of twats...

> Michael Stipe uses them.

as do radiohead, echo and the bunnymen, and shitloads of other people who play enormous places, especially open air venues. most bands just play dead loud and get around it, . our man moz takes his own stage sound around with him, so he gets what he needs and wants every show without in-ear sound. plus, his band isnae very loud anyway.
ray

Re: who's got earpieces? LOADS of twats...

I love the idea of performing without the aid of an earpiece. It makes the show a bit more wild what with the off chance of absolutely BUTCHERING a note. Besides, I think if the audiance is comprised of mostly real music fans I think they can forgive a few screwups here and there. I think it's the energy of the performance that matters most.

Back
Top Bottom