New York Doll premieres at Sundance FIlm Festival feat. Morrissey

B

boingo79

Just got back to Los Angeles, from opening weekend of the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. I was lucky enough to catch the premiere of "New York Doll." I don't know where to start except with the words BRILLIANT! The documentary follows the history of the Dolls from start to break up. The film then catches the viewer up to speed with the interesting and emotional life of Arthur "Killer" Kane, through his finding of the Mormon lifestyle to the reuniting of the New York Dolls at Morrissey's Meltdown, and beyond. The film is tragic, and joyful all at once. I never lost interest in any of the story, and left the theater feeling that the festival was a completely worth the trip, thanks to "NY Doll."

Morrissey plays a huge role in the documentary giving interviews, and clearance to use the footage of the Banquet before the Meltdown gig at the Prince Royal Albert Hall in London. Several appropriate musicians are featured in this documentary, and all share very interesting facts and stories about Arthur, Morrissey and the New York Dolls.

I don't want to give to many details about the documentary without the permission of the filmmaker, so I will leave it as is. When I first heard of this film, expectations where high. Believe me when I say that EVERY music fan, especially NY Dolls and MOZ fans should see this documentary. I asked the filmmaker (who happens to be a very nice individual out of Los Angeles) if we should expect to see a theatrical release, all is unsure. To judge by the audience response, we will see it in theaters or on DVD in the near future.

One last note, a very appropriate Smiths song appears on the soundtrack, along with other very good music. Please email your interest in seeing the documentary so I can forward the emails to the filmmaker directly. I want to let him know how much "Moz" fan support he has. It will be good incentive for a distributor to release the film, so that we all get to see it. Email to [email protected]

Thank You,
Frankie

Back
Top Bottom