How The Smiths Almost Ruined My Life--But I Was Stronger

B

Ben Hollis

1984 - I was in love. I had treated her a bit bad, but I realised what a fool I'd been and where my heart lay and mended my ways. The spring of '84 and I kept hearing this voice on the radio. Something interesting, but I was far more concerned with other things in life. Then, in May, we were watching Top Of The Pops when this band came on with their new song. I sat there amazed. There was this guy wailing a gorgeous tune with a tree hanging out of his back pocket. I was intrigued. The next day at work all the guys were talking about that 'idiot' on TOTP. But to me there was something more...

I was down the pub with Andy. Someone had put 'What Difference Does It Make' on the juke box. I turned to Andy and said, "I like this song for some reason".

In The Sun there was a 'Sun Comment' complaining about this terrible song about The Moors Murderers, saying it should be banned and that this band The Smiths should be prohibited from playing in front of 'decent people'.

As soon as I read this, I realised the error of my ways. The Smiths were an evil, nasty and shallow group. Thankfully I had the good sense to abandon my reckless desire to embrace such a vile band and throughout the rest of the decade I esconced myself in the wonderful sounds of Guns'n'Roses, Anthrax and Slayer. Bands who wrote lyrics about me and my life and gave me the guidance to live as a good human being.

Now I am 43 and married with four children. Every so often I dig out my battered vinyl copy of "What Difference Does It Make?" and sit, holding my wife's hand, as we pray together for forgiveness. Our love for each other and a quality life help us fight the evil force that still reeks from that 12" single.

We obviously don't play the record, and I have never brought myself to throw it out, simply because it reminds me of the horrific path I could have gone down. Sometimes I show it to my children and tell them about the time that Daddy almost became a bad person.

I don't expect any of you to pay any heed to what I am saying but it comes from the heart. Life has a lot of good to offer--but in the music of The Smiths and Morrissey, you will not find it. If you persist in such fandom you will always remain "Still Ill".

Best Wishes

Ben

Are you serious, you pray because you think Morrissey is evil?
There are a lot of evil things out there, this is not one of them.
I feel really sorry you can't see the beauty in all that he means to people.

How I Almost Ruined My Life--But The Smiths Were Stronger

I had quite the opposite experience, Bennyboy!

Analysis of Ben Hollis, Read this if you read above

What in world is this!!!!!!!!!!!!. This is some joke, it is very good though, especially the part where he says that he esconded to the wonderful music of Guns N Roses, Slayer and Anthrax in order to lead a good life. To anyone who has looked into studying for the SATs LSATs or the GMAT will spot something wrong in his account of the story. It actually doesn't make sense after your reread and grill the post. But this is really funny funny stuff. It's almost like saturday night live quality satire. I an not a regular on this site but isn't there a group of pranksters running around on this message board-this might be their handy work.

Re: Saddleworth Moor is calling your name!

> 1984 - I was in love. I had treated her a bit bad, but I
> realised what a fool I'd been and where my heart lay and mended
> my ways. The spring of '84 and I kept hearing this voice on the
> radio. Something interesting, but I was far more concerned with
> other things in life. Then, in May, we were watching Top Of The
> Pops when this band came on with their new song. I sat there
> amazed. There was this guy wailing a gorgeous tune with a tree
> hanging out of his back pocket. I was intrigued. The next day at
> work all the guys were talking about that 'idiot' on TOTP. But
> to me there was something more...

> I was down the pub with Andy. Someone had put 'What Difference
> Does It Make' on the juke box. I turned to Andy and said,
> "I like this song for some reason".

> In The Sun there was a 'Sun Comment' complaining about this
> terrible song about The Moors Murderers, saying it should be
> banned and that this band The Smiths should be prohibited from
> playing in front of 'decent people'.

> As soon as I read this, I realised the error of my ways. The
> Smiths were an evil, nasty and shallow group. Thankfully I had
> the good sense to abandon my reckless desire to embrace such a
> vile band and throughout the rest of the decade I esconced
> myself in the wonderful sounds of Guns'n'Roses, Anthrax and
> Slayer. Bands who wrote lyrics about me and my life and gave me
> the guidance to live as a good human being.

> Now I am 43 and married with four children. Every so often I dig
> out my battered vinyl copy of "What Difference Does It
> Make?" and sit, holding my wife's hand, as we pray together
> for forgiveness. Our love for each other and a quality life help
> us fight the evil force that still reeks from that 12"
> single.

> We obviously don't play the record, and I have never brought
> myself to throw it out, simply because it reminds me of the
> horrific path I could have gone down. Sometimes I show it to my
> children and tell them about the time that Daddy almost became a
> bad person.

> I don't expect any of you to pay any heed to what I am saying
> but it comes from the heart. Life has a lot of good to
> offer--but in the music of The Smiths and Morrissey, you will
> not find it. If you persist in such fandom you will always
> remain "Still Ill".

> Best Wishes

> Ben

Ben Hollow!

If you are all right I don't want to be. Whether this be serious or simple it springs from a very poor source. It is just bad. Not even bad enough to be so bad it is good. It is just bad, stuck in the middle of badness bad - it's bad!

I could go off on a little diatribe of my own picking you up on a great many errors but I'll make it, like you - simple.

THE SUN?!??!!!!!!!

Leaping to conclusions after hearing one oppinion (and a factually deficient oppinion at that.)

You shouldn't be allowed to raise children you should be locked up for crimes against intelligence, are you really so hard of understanding?!

I suggest you telephone social services and put your children into their merciful care. Whilst you and wifey go and brain your selves with a spade on Saddleworth Moor.

This may seem a little harsh, still, 'you deserve it, deserve it, deserve it' and 'I will not change and I will not be nice.'

Re: Analysis of Ben Hollis, Read this if you read above

SATs LATS or the GMAT

can you explain?

I agree--it's excellent and obviously satire. And once again, the humourless have fallen for it.

Re: Analysis of Ben Hollis, Read this if you read above

I mean like reading comprehension tests

Back
Top Bottom