Friday Mourning

A

Alienated

Would someone please help me understand the following lines:
"..There comes a time/A flaw that breaks/This very smug mug of mine/This dawn raid/Soon put paid to all the things/I whispered to you at night time.."

> Would someone please help me understand the following lines:
> "..There comes a time/A flaw that breaks/This very smug mug of
> mine/This dawn raid/Soon put paid to all the things/I whispered to you at
> night time.."

I've received no answers what so ever...some of you native speakers must be able to help out, surely? It's just the literal meaning I want...if there is any...or is it just as obscure to you as it is to me?

Based on my own view that the song is about the break up of a once happy relationship, the end of the relationship drawing near is signalled by the line "there comes a time..." and in my humble estimation the lines mean the following:

"a flaw that breaks" I would understand that to mean a flaw inherent in the person Moz or whoever is having the relationship with, and the fact that the flaw has become apparent ", and it subsequently "..breaks/This very smug mug of mine.." meaning Moz was once so smug about the relationship that the cracks apprearing wipe the smug smile of his face, and the relationship is breaking. "This dawn raid..." could be taken to mean that a fight has occurred in the morning, (hence "Friday Mourning, dressed in black I wont be coming back") or a raid on the senses in the form of an unexpected and hurtful revelation or confession, and this revelation or confession destroys what is special about the relationship and it "soon put paid to all the things/ I whispered to you at night time", ie the relationship is drawing to a painful close. Hope it helps Im open to correction obviously. Cheers.

Hey, even though I'm not a native (British English) speaker -- I'm American -- but I do know the literal meaning. I think.

"..There comes a time/A flaw that breaks/This very smug mug of mine..." I think this describes the moment when a (serious) flaw in the other person causes the narrator's (in this case, Morrissey's, if he's singing autobiographically, which he apparently does) face to 'fall', as in not be so satisfied or secure as he once was, presumably because of how horrible the flaw is...

"...This dawn raid/Soon put paid to all the things/I whispered to you at
night time.."
I take this to mean that the dawn raid (something traumatic/eventful/important that happened early in the morning) -- which in this case, was something very bad -- caused all of the 'nighttime whisperings' (tender things, most likely) to come to an end. ("Put paid to" is a chiefly British saying which means to come to an end, or finish.)

It's the most beautiful song Morrissey has ever written in my opinion. Ah. A true masterpiece.

I hope this helps! Do you want my interpretation, also?

Thank you very much for making sense of the words, both of you!