RIP john peel

S

smerk

Damon Albarn:
"John Peel's patronage was for me, like countless other musicians, one of the most significant things that happened to us in our careers.
The world is going to be a poorer place with his sudden departure. I will miss him deeply. I want to send my heartfelt sympathy to his lovely family. John's memory will never be forgotten because he had the spirit of music in him."

Thom Yorke:
"Who am I going to listen to now? He's been my inspiration since I was 14. I'm thinking about you. Thanks John Peel."

Pulp's Jarvis Cocker:
"Because of that thing of searching out new stuff, he helped so many bands get started."

"We were just these stupid kids from Sheffield, but without that (session) we'd probably never have got any further and I'm sure that's happened a lot of times."

Mark E Smith:
The Fall recorded many Peel Sessions over the years, but Smith says the current line-up's recent session was one of the best:
"He was really happy - he said as we were doing it it was the best Peel Session ever by The Fall.

I only met him about two times in my life. Nobody believes it but that's true. He was always great like that. I told him and he told me - we kept a distance."

James Dean Bradfield:
"It was because of him I got to hear some of the most obscure but influential music I ever heard. He was a lifeline to hearing music I would never have heard otherwise. He was a portal to a whole new world."

Undertones' bassist Michael Bradley:
"He was a very funny, very warm man and we will always be grateful for what he did for The Undertones.

Personally, I find it incredible what he did for the band and we always got huge pride out of the fact that he said Teenage Kicks was his favourite single."

David Bowie:
"John was great with helping new acts. We did some of our very first performances with John before we were actually on the road."

Johnny Marr:
explains how The Smiths' early Peel Sessions were crucial to the band's success:
"We would try out new songs on the sessions and these often were the definitive version. John Peel was always the best around."

Janice Long:
"John was incredibly passionate about everything he did - not just music, but his family too.

He enjoyed an incredible career, touching many people's lives - everyone has heard of John Peel. A maverick in the radio industry, he will be a great loss."

Back
Top Bottom