How much do we really want to know about Morrissey?

F

freeyourself

Does anyone agree that it's absolutely astonishing that so little is known about Morrissey's Private Life.

The fact that none of the former band members, ex-partners/spurned lovers, ex-managers, producers, road crew etc. etc. have blabbed, spilled the beans, kissed & told or even really stuck the boot in is remarkable.

It's immature & ridiculous to believe that there is "nothing to tell", or that people remain loyal & refuse to blab, no matter how badly they believe they were treated.

It happens in our own lives, where our former colleagues, lovers, friends etc., who have no financial incentives for airing our dirty laundry or discussing our indiscretions/foibles/inclinations/proclivities with all & sundry, but Human Nature being what it is, they still do so with alarming enthusiasm.

This being the case, how on earth have Morrissey's secrets remained hidden for all this time.

I believe that, were Johnny Rogan to publish another book about Morrissey, leaving no stone unturned, having been given exclusive interviews with the aforementioned individuals, including salacious & deeply personal anecdotes, supported by photographs, that there would be a huge potential readership, including newspaper serialisation & chat show appearances & so forth.

This would undoubtedly spell the end of Morrissey's musical career, as I think it would seriously undermine any future songwriting if the 'truth' were finally known, & I believe that he would be so devastated, he would no longer wish to make records/CD's.

Even so, I suspect that virtually every one of us would buy the book & not put it down until every last detail had been greedily devoured.

So, all those who want to know everything about Morrissey, be careful what you wish for.

> Does anyone agree that it's absolutely astonishing that so little is known
> about Morrissey's Private Life.

> The fact that none of the former band members, ex-partners/spurned lovers,
> ex-managers, producers, road crew etc. etc. have blabbed, spilled the
> beans, kissed & told or even really stuck the boot in is remarkable.

> It's immature & ridiculous to believe that there is "nothing to
> tell", or that people remain loyal & refuse to blab, no matter
> how badly they believe they were treated.

> It happens in our own lives, where our former colleagues, lovers, friends
> etc., who have no financial incentives for airing our dirty laundry or
> discussing our indiscretions/foibles/inclinations/proclivities with all
> & sundry, but Human Nature being what it is, they still do so with
> alarming enthusiasm.

> This being the case, how on earth have Morrissey's secrets remained hidden
> for all this time.

> I believe that, were Johnny Rogan to publish another book about Morrissey,
> leaving no stone unturned, having been given exclusive interviews with the
> aforementioned individuals, including salacious & deeply personal
> anecdotes, supported by photographs, that there would be a huge potential
> readership, including newspaper serialisation & chat show appearances
> & so forth.

> This would undoubtedly spell the end of Morrissey's musical career, as I
> think it would seriously undermine any future songwriting if the 'truth'
> were finally known, & I believe that he would be so devastated, he
> would no longer wish to make records/CD's.

> Even so, I suspect that virtually every one of us would buy the book &
> not put it down until every last detail had been greedily devoured.

> So, all those who want to know everything about Morrissey, be careful what
> you wish for.

What I want to know about Morrissey:
1. When's the next release?

2. When's the next gig that I can go to?

3. What hair products does he use? (sad I know)

4. What would it be like to go down the pub for a few pints with him and have a good old laugh?

BTW I couldn't care less where he plays hide the sausage. Thats none of my business

Is mise le meas

mozrebel.

> What I want to know about Morrissey:
> 1. When's the next release?

> 2. When's the next gig that I can go to?

> 3. What hair products does he use? (sad I know)

> 4. What would it be like to go down the pub for a few pints with him and
> have a good old laugh?

> BTW I couldn't care less where he plays hide the sausage. Thats none of my
> business

> Is mise le meas

> mozrebel.

Ahhh, you say that now.....

If the sordid details were on page 32, I'm sure you'd at least have a quick peek in Waterstones....

> Ahhh, you say that now.....

> If the sordid details were on page 32, I'm sure you'd at least have a
> quick peek in Waterstones....
Probably, but if I got him down the pub and got a few whiskies into him...loosen the auld tongue don't ya know

I wouldn't read it and I'd unplug my modem so there'd be no chance of accidentally reading it either. Maybe I'd check my e-mail so I'd know about upcoming releases and gigs but that would be it.

Say wha?

thus quoth freeyourself: This would undoubtedly spell the end of Morrissey's musical career, as I think it would seriously undermine any future songwriting if the 'truth' were finally known, & I believe that he would be so devastated, he would no longer wish to make records/CD's.

Why for heaven's sake would "the truth about Morrissey" end his career? Almost every major artist -- not just in music -- has had a sordid/highly unflattering book written about him or her, and it never seems to scare the devoted fans away. Hell, Elvis' image and fanbase survived the Goldman book, right? Same with all the nasty Lennon books, etc. (I know I'm citing examples of dead people, but this also applies to bios of living luminaries)

Besides, why are you so convinced that the "truth" about Morrissey is sordid and objectionable? What exactly are you implying -- that if his fans knew he's gay, not bisexual or asexual but full-on unambiguously gay, they would desert him? I'm not attacking you or asking you in an aggressive way, I'm just curious about some of your assumptions.

FAO Brennan

> thus quoth freeyourself: This would undoubtedly spell the end of
> Morrissey's musical career, as I think it would seriously undermine any
> future songwriting if the 'truth' were finally known, & I believe that
> he would be so devastated, he would no longer wish to make records/CD's.

> Why for heaven's sake would "the truth about Morrissey" end his
> career? Almost every major artist -- not just in music -- has had a
> sordid/highly unflattering book written about him or her, and it never
> seems to scare the devoted fans away. Hell, Elvis' image and fanbase
> survived the Goldman book, right? Same with all the nasty Lennon books,
> etc. (I know I'm citing examples of dead people, but this also applies to
> bios of living luminaries)

> Besides, why are you so convinced that the "truth" about
> Morrissey is sordid and objectionable? What exactly are you implying --
> that if his fans knew he's gay, not bisexual or asexual but full-on
> unambiguously gay, they would desert him? I'm not attacking you or asking
> you in an aggressive way, I'm just curious about some of your assumptions.

Maybe I was speculating as to how Morrissey would react were any revelations SO heinous/embarrassing (insert your own adjective), & assuming that, if this were the case, he would'nt want to carry on making records.

I was being slightly provocative by using the word 'undoubtedly', in order to make for a lively debate, but still, IF someone knew something so bad that his position would be untenable, such as doing something illegal which would carry a severe penalty, even jail....you need only use your imagination, & think the unthinkable.

In fact, the whole thing was speculative & hypothetical, & I'm not suggesting for a second that the 'so-called' truth would necessarily cause Morrissey's career any damage at all.

On the contrary, it may bring him support from people who have hitherto been uninterested in his work, depending on the nature of the revelations of course.

I wasn't just talking about his sexuality, although, I'm sure a lot of nosy people would be fascinated by any 'first-hand' accounts, as it were.

The fact that I'm gay myself is neither here nor there.

The thing is, no-one really knows anyone, so all I'm saying is, maybe there are things we would sooner not know about Morrissey, or, maybe there are things that Morrissey would be horrified were they to become public knowledge.

Is that a little clearer now?