The gun on the cover of You are the Quarry

• Thread starter Morrissey the 23rd
  • Start date
M

Morrissey the 23rd

Around the time of Meltdown, I saw promotions for a book on Tony Blair on the walls of the underground. Blair was in the same pose as Morrissey is on the cover of You are the quarry. Now I can't remember from where but at the time. I was told or read that the picture of Blair on that cover, was a mock of a picture from Churchill. The same pose and gun as Morrissey. I thought that I'd wait and hear the significance of this picture in time. I felt and I still feel that there is more to this cover than was being said back then or has been said since.

Can anybody enlighten me if there is any link or what the relevance is? Does such a picture of Churchill even exist? All I can find is this one:

2WWbren.jpg

Well, that's definitely a tommy-gun! But I've heard the same story as you have about the picture of Churchill. Good question...

Re: NOT the case at all.

I have come to the conclusion that Morrissey's use of the 'Tommy' gun is a reference only to the New York Dolls 'Lipstick Killers'. I didn't see the Bob Gruen film about them but I believe that the gun features in it. There was a display of NY Dolls photos at their RFH gigs and one still showed them posing with guns.

The Mojo explanation just goes to show how little they know.

At another level the use of the gun as a prop I suppose perhaps helps to illustrate how angry Mozzer feels towards some people. I conclude it has nothing to do with Churchill any more than it has to do with Frank Pike from 'Dad's Army'. The only Blair link is that Mozzer might want to use it on him.

R.348%20NYD%20LipstickKillr%20Card%20Ga.gif

Re: NOT the case at all.

> I have come to the conclusion that Morrissey's use of the 'Tommy' gun is a
> reference only to the New York Dolls 'Lipstick Killers'. I didn't see the
> Bob Gruen film about them but I believe that the gun features in it. There
> was a display of NY Dolls photos at their RFH gigs and one still showed
> them posing with guns.

> The Mojo explanation just goes to show how little they know.

> At another level the use of the gun as a prop I suppose perhaps helps to
> illustrate how angry Mozzer feels towards some people. I conclude it has
> nothing to do with Churchill any more than it has to do with Frank Pike
> from 'Dad's Army'. The only Blair link is that Mozzer might want to use it
> on him.

That sounds much more accuarate to me, but I've got to say the cover for Quarry is diabolical, it looks so tacky. It strikes me as something George Michael or Robbie Williams would go for. The Maladjusted cover was crap, but at least the picture sleeves for the singles of that album made up for it.

it's just the opposite, in fact

I don't think it's tacky at all! It's actually kind of cool, an album cover with the singer holding a gun. So deliciously non-PC!

> I looks like the same suit too

It is, in fact! The exact same! Moz paid a mint for it. He had to get it altered, too.

Back
Top Bottom