Facts about Morrissey (today's NME)

U

Uncleskinny

The NME today has a 1001 rock facts edition; facts 196 to 215 are regarding Morrissey:

196 - Morrissey claims his favourite building is the Middlesex Hospital on London's Mortimer Street.

197 - The first gig he ever went to was T-Rex at the Belle Vue in Manchester in July, 1972.

198 - In 1987, a Moz fan held up a Denver radio station at gunpoint and demanded that they play The Smiths - which they did for five hours before the police arrived.

199 - You can download a typeface based on Morrissey's notoriously eccentric handwriting at http://www.oz.net/~moz/misc.htm

200 - On Morrissey's last tour, you could buy a pillowcase embroidered with 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me', a title of one of The Smith's final songs.

201 - An ardent vegetarian, Morrissey claimed in 2001 that the highlight of the year had been 'foot and mouth'.

202 - Morrissey once wrote a poet called 'Poppycocteau' in which he gets held up by two merchant seamen outside a Liverpool nightclub and gives them his trousers.

203 - The video for 1989's 'Ouija Board, Ouija Board' starred Joan Sims (of Carry On films fame) and actress Kathy Burke.

204 - Morrissey once took Ecstasy and stared at himslf in the mirror while 'on one'.

205 - In 1991 Morrissey claimed his greatest fear was 'being invited to sing at the Prince's Trust Rock Gala'

206 - Morrissey once appeared in South, a spin-off of now-defunct Channel 4 soap Brookside.

207 - Morrissey currently favours the Dorchester Hotel wen he's staying in London.

208 - In 1992, the Anglo-Asian pop duo Cornershop once picketed EMI's office in protest at Morrissey's flirtation with right-wing imagery. However, nine years later Morrissey claimed that their 'When I Was Born For The 7th Time' album was one of his two favourites of the 90's (the other was Born To Quit by The Smoking Popes)

209 - He sent an 'R'-shaped wreath to East End gangster Reggie Kray's funeral.

210 - Morrissey once sent his near neighbour Noel Gallagher a postcard saying, 'Let's go shoplifting'. However, when Noel went round, Morrissey refused to answer the door.

211 - On The Smiths' rider, Moz used to specify that promoters supplied him with a 'live tree with a maximum height of five foot, and a minimum height of three foot' in every venue.

212 - In 1993, Brett Anderson of Suede claimed that he'd met Morrissey and 'he's so ridiculously shy it's boring, not charming. He's like some kind of useless teenager'. Morrissey responded with: 'Despite his claims to the contrary, I have never met Brett and wouldn't wish to; he seems like a deeply boring young man with Mr Kipling crumbs under his bed. He'll never forgive God for not making him Angie Bowie'

213 When asked 'If you'd written the song "Reason's To Be Cheerful part III", what would have been in it?', Morrissey responded 'I think it would have been an instrumental'

214 - Morrissey once describe Kirsty MacColl as having 'a cracking bust'

215 - Sir John Betjeman's recital of his poem A Child Ill, which NME gave away on a Moz-compiled CD in June, is the Music Morrissey wants played at his funeral.

Ha! The Prince one just made my spit up my Diet Coke all over my screen here at work....

Back
Top Bottom