Am I the only Morrissey fan

D

Donny Smith

who thinks releasing Let Me Kiss You as a single is absolutely ridiculous? Personally I think the song is a bit shit, one of the worst on YATQ but even if I take into account that lots of Morrissey fans like it, I still refuse to believe that it is "single material." There is no way it will appeal to anyone but the most hardened Moz fan. In my opinion it will be Moz' second worst single after the deeply shit Dagenham Dave.

It's the type of song you could see them playing on radio 1, and I personally think it's a great song.

I wouldn't compare it to dagenham dave!

> who thinks releasing Let Me Kiss You as a single is absolutely ridiculous?
> Personally I think the song is a bit shit, one of the worst on YATQ but
> even if I take into account that lots of Morrissey fans like it, I still
> refuse to believe that it is "single material." There is no way
> it will appeal to anyone but the most hardened Moz fan. In my opinion it
> will be Moz' second worst single after the deeply shit Dagenham Dave.

Roys Keen is head and shoulders the worst ever Morrissey single.> It's the type of song you could see them playing on radio 1, and I
> personally think it's a great song.

> I wouldn't compare it to dagenham dave!

You can see them playing it on Radio 1? Then you are a bigger fool than I ever thought broken. So where do you reckon it will chart then? It won't touch the top 10.

> who thinks releasing Let Me Kiss You as a single is absolutely ridiculous?
> Personally I think the song is a bit shit, one of the worst on YATQ but
> even if I take into account that lots of Morrissey fans like it, I still
> refuse to believe that it is "single material." There is no way
> it will appeal to anyone but the most hardened Moz fan. In my opinion it
> will be Moz' second worst single after the deeply shit Dagenham Dave.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice is single material. As Broken says, maybe later...it would be worth it.

Sk.

By the way broken, are you julia, Morrissey, Morrissey's nephew?

I totally agree ?. I Like You might might not be his best work lycically but as a catchy tune to appeal to the masses surely it would work better than LMKY.

I must admit Daddy's Voice seems to get better the more i hear it. Upon first hearing it i was'nt too keen but now i think it will make a great single.

Yep, Daddy's Voice or I Like You would both sell much better as a single than LMKY. Releasing it on the same day as Nancy too? Is Moz deliberately trying to get a low chart placing?

Maybe he's not too concerned with chart placings. Maybe he just wants more people to hear his best songs. Personally I think Let me Kiss You is vastly superior to I Like You in terms of quality. Whether it's commercial or not I wouldn't know, or care.

I know which I'd rather listen to and it wouldn't be LMKY, but obviously that's just my opinion. He's generally in the past tried to release the most commercially viable songs, even as recently as IBEH and TFOTGTD. Seems strange to change tactics now.

I didn't say it would go top 10, or that radio 1 would play it. I said it's the type of song they'd play. They're more likely to play it than the last two because it has an inoffensive rhythm (in other words, it wouldn't shake up the listener quite as much as IBEH or FOTGTD would, sandwiched between Jay-Z and Jamelia)

Having said that, I would guess it will make the top 10 if released on 2 formats with a few b-sides - there are 4 or 5 thousands Morrissey fans who'd buy both copies at the moment. At a guess, I'd say 8 or 9.

> By the way broken, are you julia, Morrissey, Morrissey's nephew?

> I totally agree ?. I Like You might might not be his best work lycically
> but as a catchy tune to appeal to the masses surely it would work better
> than LMKY.

I Like You will probebly turn out to be the most obvious single that he never put out. It's great, but it's almost like a throw away song, that usually gets released between albums and is very successful. Like say The Stranglers - Go Buddy Go or The Jam - Absolute Beginners.

> I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's
> Voice is single material. As Broken says, maybe later...it would be worth
> it.

> Sk.
Skinny, I completely agree with you on this, Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice is absolutely brilliant! Should have been on Quarry, but I guess the rawness of it wouldn't have fit into the album somehow. Terrific song!

> Roys Keen is head and shoulders the worst ever Morrissey single

ouija board and Sing your life are horrible. Roys keen and Dagenham Dave are much better. Then again, i dont like YATQ that much either.

You are not the only Moz fan, actually I totally agree about not releasing "Let me kiss you" as a single. I'd rate it in his top 5 worst singles, along with "Ouija Board", "Satan rejected my soul", "The Boy Racer" and "Sunny". They should let this crappy song to Nancy
Sinatra and release "I have forgiven Jesus" as third single. No chance even
for a top ten single in October, usually a very busy month for new releases and especially for a third single weak as this.

> You are not the only Moz fan, actually I totally agree about not releasing
> "Let me kiss you" as a single. I'd rate it in his top 5 worst
> singles, along with "Ouija Board", "Satan rejected my
> soul", "The Boy Racer" and "Sunny". They should
> let this crappy song to Nancy
> Sinatra and release "I have forgiven Jesus" as third single. No
> chance even
> for a top ten single in October, usually a very busy month for new
> releases and especially for a third single weak as this.

Well, opinions are opinions of course, but I think Sunny is beautiful.

Sk.

> You are not the only Moz fan, actually I totally agree about not releasing
> "Let me kiss you" as a single. I'd rate it in his top 5 worst
> singles, along with "Ouija Board", "Satan rejected my
> soul", "The Boy Racer" and "Sunny". They should
> let this crappy song to Nancy
> Sinatra and release "I have forgiven Jesus" as third single. No
> chance even
> for a top ten single in October, usually a very busy month for new
> releases and especially for a third single weak as this.

By and large I think Moz/Sanctuary have got it right with the singles lifted from the album.
That's a statement I have not been able to say about Moz's choices for singles in the past.
I think the 2 already released and "Let Me Kiss You" are the most commercial sounding on the album and all great tracks.

The only difference I would have made would have been to release "First Of The Gang" as the lead single.

It goes without saying(but I'll say it anyway) he should also have released the singles on 12".Spoilsport

Back
Top Bottom