Allow Norway its right to Whaling

J

jonasb

I read some anti-Norweigian comments on here recently (I am from Norway) on whaling and I would just like to say, you are completely wrong if you think whaling is harmful. Actually, by killing the whales we can protect the smaller fish that the whales eat and even use those fish to feed the poor. Whaling is NATURAL and part of our culture and we are not a member of the pathetic IWC, so we will continue to practise our right to whale.

Jonas

Re: Im all for whaling...Infact,where's GU????

Save the whales!!

pic191071.jpg

While I don't like to see animals killed willy-nilly (no pun intended)
I find anti whaling advocates appauling when they don't seem to care about anyhting smaller thana dolphin, Why should whale sand dolphins be given special priviledges, seems little else in the ocean is sacred..

Cheers

Case

Re: Whaling is unnatural

> I read some anti-Norweigian comments on here recently (I am from Norway)
> on whaling and I would just like to say, you are completely wrong if you
> think whaling is harmful. Actually, by killing the whales we can protect
> the smaller fish that the whales eat and even use those fish to feed the
> poor. Whaling is NATURAL and part of our culture and we are not a member
> of the pathetic IWC, so we will continue to practise our right to whale.
> Jonas

Whales should be revered and protected. Whaling is so primative. The human diet does not exist on blubber any more.

You tosser

> I read some anti-Norweigian comments on here recently (I am from Norway)
> on whaling and I would just like to say, you are completely wrong if you
> think whaling is harmful. Actually, by killing the whales we can protect
> the smaller fish that the whales eat and even use those fish to feed the
> poor. Whaling is NATURAL and part of our culture and we are not a member
> of the pathetic IWC, so we will continue to practise our right to whale.

> Jonas

That really is the most pathetic argument for whaling I think I've ever heard. Your argument is as follows;
We stop the whales from eating the little fish so we can kill the little fish ourselves and feed them to the poor?
Whaling is natural is it? Because humans do it? Fine. Then rape, incest and genocide are all natural as well. I eagerly await your stridently intellectual defences of those pursuits also.

Re: You tosser

> That really is the most pathetic argument for whaling I think I've ever
> heard. Your argument is as follows;
> We stop the whales from eating the little fish so we can kill the little
> fish ourselves and feed them to the poor?
> Whaling is natural is it? Because humans do it? Fine. Then rape, incest
> and genocide are all natural as well. I eagerly await your stridently
> intellectual defences of those pursuits also.

Not buying it, Crushing. Via your logic, we should kill no animals at all, because one could take the slaughter of chickens or cows for human food and "extend" it to rape, incest, and genocide too. Which is ludicrous. For that matter, hey, we can't chop down any trees either because they're living beings too -- so, that means no expressways to drive on and essentially no modern society.

On the other hand, if you rationally agree that it makes sense for humans to cut down some trees in order to have a society, to kill some chickens to feed the citizens, to kill some cows to provide beef for its citizens, etc.... then why the magically drawn line on NOT killing whales?

I'm not slamming you, I'm just suggesting that your indignation against whale killing sounds suspiciously arbitrary and subjective.

J.T.

Trees are not "living beings" you complete and utter American ignoramous.

> Trees are not "living beings" you complete and utter American
> ignoramous.

I think you're right about that. I've been hugging them for years and not one of them has ever hugged me back.
Then again, maybe they're fussy.

> Trees are not "living beings" you complete and utter American
> ignoramous.

Yes they are!

Amen.

Sorry, Bore, but it just seems absurd to me to eat meat but have a problem with killing whales. I don't see why a whale's life should be more precious than that of a cow, a pig, a chicken, or a tuna fish.

Re: I know you are but what am I????

Hey jtr,
No offence taken, but I think you slightly misunderstand what I'm saying.

To argue that killing whales is good because it leaves more animals for human beings to kill is ridiculous. It's a species-based relativism that says humans eating little fish is morally more justified than whales eating little fish. He dresses it up as an ecological argument, but it doesn't work on that level because the little fish still wind up being plundered one way or the other.

This is totally separate to his other argument about cultural factors, and I'm saying simply that just because something's happened culturally or historically is no reason for doing it given what we no today.

The fact is that there is no humane way of killing a whale without the creature suffering immensely, and to me that is the primary concern.

> Amen.

> Sorry, Bore, but it just seems absurd to me to eat meat but have a problem
> with killing whales. I don't see why a whale's life should be more
> precious than that of a cow, a pig, a chicken, or a tuna fish.

Well, see my response to jtr below. I'm not saying a whale's life is more valuable - I'm saying the original argument is dumb, and I don't approve of the inhumane slaughter of any of the above. But you know I suffer a degree of turmoil over the eating of meat, and now you've done gone exacerbate it all over again.

Besides, is it not difficult to justify being a vegetarian and not a vegan, given the suffering of milk and dairy animals? (Don't answer that - I'm not trying to start a fight )

It may be difficult to justify, but it's certainly less hypocritical than preaching about the evils of killing certain animals while causing the deaths of others.

Back
Top Bottom