Seated Venue v. GA Venue

N

Nick Seriously

I noticed that a lot of Chicago concert-goers were somehow disappointed by the crowd. I find that the seated venues don't have the same energy . . . unless you are way up front in the orchestra. If your first Moz show is a seated venue . . . you might be disappointed if you are away from the stage. He'll deliver . . . but the crowd probably won't. But I find this true of all seated performances . . . the larger the venue, the more impersonal it gets.

> I noticed that a lot of Chicago concert-goers were somehow
> disappointed by the crowd. I find that the seated venues don't
> have the same energy . . . unless you are way up front in the
> orchestra. If your first Moz show is a seated venue . . . you
> might be disappointed if you are away from the stage. He'll
> deliver . . . but the crowd probably won't. But I find this true
> of all seated performances . . . the larger the venue, the more
> impersonal it gets.

You're absolutely correct, Nick...GA shows are thick in sweat and spirit, espicially the closer you get to the stage. The pit turns into sauna in the oasis. Only the most fit survive the entire show. The most fit doesn't necessarily mean how your physical health is, rather how fit your mental health is. Mozzer fans are so focused at getting to the front that they would go through trenches of warfare and obliterate whoever is in way. The luckly ones at front exceed their endurance and will power just to stay at the front. Everyone loses gallons of water and salt by the end, but its usually replenished by your surrondings as you bump with one another and accidently (or not) taste them. This is what makes the GA shows beautiful and special.

Oh, yes. Great description. The sweat, the salt and the spray!! The bump and the new friend . . . Sara's Elbow.

At a GA show, if you can survive the first couple of songs . . . you still can move forward . . . as long as you are in sync with the four/six people around you. I'm fortunate because of my size . . . and I travel with a single friend . . . less friends to worry about, the better. I'm usually up front . . . unless I choose to stand further back for a different perspective (I'll do that once a tour . . . after 2 or 3 shows in the pit . . . it actually makes you even more appreciative of what you went through and the fact that you saw Moz live).

Although the shows . . . as you have adeptly described . . . live with you . . . I also have fond memories of the hour-long showers afterwards as Morrissey and the band continues to hum in my ears.

Back
Top Bottom