Morrissey Is Dead

R

Roy's Not Too Keen

Why do we play this eternal waiting game with Morrissey. We wait and wait and NOTHING. The last time he bothered to put any new material forward it was tired and threadbare and not worth the waiting we had done.
Can you really look yourselves in the eye and say you're happy with what he does now-a-days? Was Papa Jack, Ammunition, Roy's Keen or He Cried worth your time and money? Or those bloody awful B-sides like Heir Apparent, Now I Am A Was or I Can Have Both worth the bother?
I think NOT!
There was a time whem Moz had something to say but it seems those days have passed and we haven't woken up to the fact. I'm not enjoying coming to this conclusion, Morrissey has been one of the most important factors in my life, but perhaps it's time to let go.
He seems to have less and less to say each time he ventures into public. His rare interviews are just word play and one liners hiding the fact there isn't really much else going on there and his idea of a lyric now seems to be to repeat one verse over and over. Did Alma really matter? I think NOT!
And in the meantime we're tempted with endless compilations of past glories. And we buy them hoping for something, to be a part of HIM and to show we still have faith and because we really do love him and we just KNOW the new album will be the one.
And there is nothing we can do but wait and see. But you see, we already know.
Morrissey R.I.P.

> There was a time whem Moz had something to say but it seems¿ those days have passed and we haven't woken up to the fact. I'm¿ not enjoying coming to this conclusion, Morrissey has been one¿ of the most important factors in my life, but perhaps it's time¿ to let go.

Yes, yes, yes. Yesterday I was talking to someone who lives in LA and
he told me that he has seen Morrissey a number of times laughing and having a good time with a young man, who, by the looks of things, is most likely Morrissey's boyfriend/lover. Supposedly, they hang out at the Skybar. My point is that Morrissey has nothing to sing about now. Every thing is going so well in his life, that it's totally boring and uninspiring.

> Yes, yes, yes. Yesterday I was talking to someone who lives in¿ LA and¿ he told me that he has seen Morrissey a number of times laughing¿ and having a good time with a young man, who, by the looks of¿ things, is most likely Morrissey's boyfriend/lover. Supposedly,¿ they hang out at the Skybar. My point is that Morrissey has¿ nothing to sing about now. Every thing is going so well in his¿ life, that it's totally boring and uninspiring.

Maybe it's not MOrrissey's music but us thats changing.. I started listening to MOrrissey when I was 14 and now I am 23 adn thoses things that seem relevant at the time just don't or maybe I have just become jaded to being lonely, Uncharming adn unlovable.. and why yes I still hold those songs dear and the memories they invoke I have nothing for these new songs. They don't make me feel nor reflect like the songs of old.. maybe it would help if I went out.. I still like the songs and identify with the feelings behind them but they just don't seem to make me feel the same as the older ones from my youth wich can at the right times still make me cry.. or I could just be talking nonsense and out of my ass and not making anysense whatso every

all well I am at work i am tired and I am sure my spelling is crap

Cheers~!
MLL
*reminding all that i am not paying alot for this muffler!!!

Don't forget the songs that made you cry...

It's just a matter of time to my view - our views change, his views change.

See the discography of e.g. The Beatles, Genesis, George Michael, Blur, R.E.M., Madonna or any artist with a long recording career: The first recordings compared to the last (or recent) recordings show a big development in music, lyrics, used instruments etc. etc. and have nothing in common. So if you still cling to early Smiths and/or early Morrissey recordings because you love them, you have to be disappointed if you don't want the artist to develop.

Look at those artists: Rolling Stones, Kiss, Ramones - they are only a caricature of themselves. They do record new albums, they do tour - but then they play only the old hits, because their fans just want to have the so called good old times back.

When you're young you cling Songs to special events and that makes them special for you. But you don't want to be 14 again, do you, so why do you expect Moz to be 29 forever?

Stefan

great post, stephan! (no message)

> It's just a matter of time to my view - our views change, his¿ views change.¿ See the discography of e.g. The Beatles, Genesis, George¿ Michael, Blur, R.E.M., Madonna or any artist with a long¿ recording career: The first recordings compared to the last (or¿ recent) recordings show a big development in music, lyrics, used¿ instruments etc. etc. and have nothing in common. So if you¿ still cling to early Smiths and/or early Morrissey recordings¿ because you love them, you have to be disappointed if you don't¿ want the artist to develop.¿ Look at those artists: Rolling Stones, Kiss, Ramones - they are¿ only a caricature of themselves. They do record new albums, they¿ do tour - but then they play only the old hits, because their¿ fans just want to have the so called good old times back.¿ When you're young you cling Songs to special events and that¿ makes them special for you. But you don't want to be 14 again,¿ do you, so why do you expect Moz to be 29 forever?¿ Stefan

Yesterday I was talking to someone who lives in LA and¿ he told me that he has seen Morrissey a number of times laughing¿ and having a good time with a young man, who, by the looks of¿ things, is most likely Morrissey's boyfriend/lover.
------------
If so, good. Moz has given us 10 proper albums. That's enough.

don't forget

But don't forget the songs

That made you cry

And the songs that saved your life

Yes, you're older now

And you're a clever swine

But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

The passing of time leaves empty lives

Waiting to be filled (the passing ...)

The passing of time

Leaves empty lives

Waiting to be filled

I'm here with the cause

I'm holding the torch

In the corner of your room

Can you hear me ?

And when you're dancing and laughing

And finally living

Hear my voice in your head

And think of me kindly

howard stern king of all media

Is Morrissey dead or just ready for retirement?

For me, I quite enjoyed the Morrissey album Maladjusted, though I cannot accurately relate to some of the things you older fans are discussing, because I am only 20 years old. It is very accurate, however, to say, that now that Morrissey is content with his position in life the deep introspective quality of his lyrical prowess isn't really going to be present. You're right, happiness doesn't always make for interesting listening, though that is very unfortunate. I agree that Morrissey should not attempt a new album. I think it's important for artists to realize their potential and have a sort of self-actualized view of themselves. With Morrissey, perhaps he has diluted his soul of all that emotionally bleak baggage that has penned him has a "miserablist" all these years. Maybe now, he is ready to begin his life.

As for buying his older material, I think that's only natural. Most of the bands that I admire are either defunct or dormant. Buying their old material is just a way of tuning in on your personal attatchments and prefrences of the particular artist. It is in this way, that Morrissey will be kept alive.

Morrissey Is Dead?

I hate the waiting game as much as anyone else, but everytime the waiting ends with Morrissey giving me something that I can't find anywhere else.

Am I the only one who balled their eyes out while listining to the song Southpaw for the first time? Am I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed Trouble Loves Me, Amunition, Wide to Receive, and He Cried? Am I the only one who was able to play Sorrow Will Come in the End in my car while traveling to see a lawyer who was trying to sue me in order to get out of paying me money that he owed me (probably, yes)? Am I the only one who has watched the Sunny video on MEBY a hundred times?

I just turned 32. I often feel old and long for a time when I wasn't so jaded and tired of this world, but Morrissey can still make me cry. He certainly has high points and low points in his career and we might all agree that he is in a low point right now, but if you think he is dead then something is wrong with you, not Morrissey.

Arisen?

There is a famous literary quote, Dickens? Hardy probably not'someone will know I'll misquote it for these purposes "He will arise before dawn and surprise us all!".

Re: Arisen?

> There is a famous literary quote, Dickens? Hardy probably¿ not'someone will know I'll misquote it for these purposes¿ "He will arise before dawn and surprise us all!".

Re: Arisen?

> There is a famous literary quote, Dickens? Hardy probably¿ not'someone will know I'll misquote it for these purposes¿ "He will arise before dawn and surprise us all!".

Thomas Hardy's character Bathsheba Everdene in Far from the Madding Crowd said:

"I shall be up before you are awake; I shall be afield before you are up; and I shall have breakfasted before you are afield. In short, I shall astonish you all."

Morrissey once mentioned this quote in an interview a long time ago and a friend of his recently used this quote in an article about Moz last year. Of course, I like this quote and character by Hardy (hence, the screen name, my business name, etc.).

He DESERVES to be finally living!

> Yesterday I was talking to someone who lives in LA and¿ ------------¿ If so, good. Moz has given us 10 proper albums. That's enough.

I agree. I think we can be very selfish in our demands on Morrissey. He gets reduced to this cardboard cutout, rather than a real human being with real desires and goals. He has obviously gotten tired of the media bull@#!!! game more and more in the '90s and never said he wanted to rule the world.

I think you can boil it down to two important points, one which should cheer all the doomsayers and critics. First, Morrissey has long said that he doesn't want to overstay his welcome, a la Grandpas Jagger and Richards. But, on the same hand, I'll paraphrase another of his wily quotes:

"My place in the dustbin of history seems assured by now."

Cheers,

Jamie

> Yes, yes, yes. Yesterday I was talking to someone who lives in¿ LA and¿ he told me that he has seen Morrissey a number of times laughing¿ and having a good time with a young man, who, by the looks of¿ things, is most likely Morrissey's boyfriend/lover. Supposedly,¿ they hang out at the Skybar. My point is that Morrissey has¿ nothing to sing about now. Every thing is going so well in his¿ life, that it's totally boring and uninspiring.

what the f***?

please!

Re: don't forget

> But don't forget the songs¿ That made you cry¿ And the songs that saved your life¿ Yes, you're older now¿ And you're a clever swine¿ But they were the only ones who ever stood by you¿ The passing of time leaves empty lives¿ Waiting to be filled (the passing ...)¿ The passing of time¿ Leaves empty lives¿ Waiting to be filled¿ I'm here with the cause¿ I'm holding the torch¿ In the corner of your room¿ Can you hear me ?¿ And when you're dancing and laughing¿ And finally living¿ Hear my voice in your head¿ And think of me kindly

thank you, thank you, thank you...
i thank you profusely...

love aaron

Morrissey Is God

>¿ Can you really look yourselves in the eye and say you're happy¿ with what he does now-a-days? Was Papa Jack, Ammunition, Roy's¿ Keen or He Cried worth your time and money? Or those bloody¿ awful B-sides like Heir Apparent, Now I Am A Was or I Can Have¿ Both worth the bother?¿ I think ABSOLUTELY!

Because: Morrissey is God - at least in a way.
And? Is God dead just because he hasn´t said anything new? No way. (But Friedrich Nietzsche is, he he...)

And Now I Am A Was is an anthem! Like -nearly- every of Moz´ songs.
But you know that!

Acolyte without a horse

Re: Morrissey Is God

> Because: Morrissey is God - at least in a way.¿ And? Is God dead just because he hasn´t said anything new? No¿ way. (But Friedrich Nietzsche is, he he...)¿ And Now I Am A Was is an anthem! Like -nearly- every of Moz´¿ songs.¿ But you know that!¿ Acolyte without a horse

Firstly Rowanowski, I have no problem with you holding a different opinion to mine or even taking a 'section' of what I posted here and responding to it with your own ideas, BUT I do have a huge problem with you changing my words and therefore misrepresnting me here. Try this unintelligent way of creating an angle for yourself again and I'll find you and create a new angle for the features of your face.

Re: Morrissey Is God

> And Now I Am A Was is an anthem! Like -nearly- every of Moz´¿ songs.
--------
Yes, but it's an anthem of defeat. In the good ol' days, the songs represented some kind of victory, even a Phyrric one.

Re: Moz Is God and Roy not so keen

> Firstly Rowanowski, I have no problem with you holding a¿ different opinion to mine or even taking a 'section' of what I¿ posted here and responding to it with your own ideas, BUT I do¿ have a huge problem with you changing my words and therefore¿ misrepresnting me here. Try this unintelligent way of creating¿ an angle for yourself again and I'll find you and create a new¿ angle for the features of your face.

Gosh! Roy! You are so ... violent. And you seem to underestimate this site´s visitors. I´m sure they can understand what you tried to say anyway. But I´m not so sure if I like you. Anyway, nice to hear that you don´t have a problem with me not sharing your opinion.

By the way: "Taking a ´section´ of what" you "posted here" (quoting Roy, roman.) is not so unusual. It makes it easier to show which content of your message I´m responding.

You may visit me anyway; we have a cup of coffee, talk about Nietzsche... No, no, I´m sure you prefer talking about streetfighting and football. And then I gonna rip your face off and eat it.

Acolyte sharping up the knives.

Re: That May Be A Reason...

> --------¿ Yes, but it's an anthem of defeat. In the good ol' days, the¿ songs represented some kind of victory, even a Phyrric one.
This essence of "defeat" that swamps "Maladjusted" and its magnaminous b-sides may be a reason why fans are not too fond of the said record. They fear he is consciously on his way out. That he is, by forces of his own will, plowing into the fields of retirement.
I am afraid. But I still sing along to "For now I am a was, was, was..."

Theres these tears I can't hide

Back
Top Bottom