"I'm Not Sorry" reminds me of David Sylvian solo... Nice song.

Oh I quite like David Sylvian, do you have a particular song in mind that it reminds you of. I'm Not Sorry reminds me of Angel by Kirsty MacColl, one of my least favourite Kirsty songs actually, although I like I'm Not Sorry - very strange.

Hmm, not any song in particular, but from the Brilliant Trees era, Sylvian's first album after Japan broke up.

Morrissey has never mentioned Sylvian or Japan as far as I know. Not that he has to, but Sylvian is kind of like a Morrissey for a smaller fanbase. I very, very into Japan and early Sylvian solo.

> Hmm, not any song in particular, but from the Brilliant Trees era,
> Sylvian's first album after Japan broke up.

> Morrissey has never mentioned Sylvian or Japan as far as I know. Not that
> he has to, but Sylvian is kind of like a Morrissey for a smaller fanbase.
> I very, very into Japan and early Sylvian solo.

I love the albums, 'Quiet Life', 'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' and 'Tin Drum', I'm not into their early albums at all - Adolescent Sex, European Son and all that, but some of their tracks such as Nightporter, My New Career, and The Other Side Of Life are breathtaking. Haven't played any of his solo stuff for ages although Brilliant Trees is superb, you may just have influenced me enough to give it a spin this evening.

You won't get Japan being discussed much on here eh haha

Japan...

Yes, that's why I never bring them up on here, but good to see another fan!

I like the first two albums, but it's like they were made by a different band altogether. Although the track "The Tenant" on the album "Obscure Alternatives" is kind of like the bridge into the "Quiet Life" sound (there's a TOTP "Quiet Life" clip on the BBC TOTP website). "Tin Drum" recently came out in an aniversary box set. It's an amazing album that hasn't dated at all really.

The look and style of the band on the first album borrowed heavily from The New York Dolls (Sylvain Sylvain into the name Sylvian etc.). I wonder what Morrissey thought of that. Surprised he never wrote into the NME and slagged them off!
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom