What is the most Smiths-like Morrissey song?

> I think "Let me kiss you" is right up there
There is a place in hell..

Re: Seasick, yet still docked

Really.

God knows I love this song, but I can't picture the Smiths doing it -- it's a much softer, quieter song than the Smiths typically did, and Moz's voice is in ultra-croon mode, also atypical for the Smiths. The fuller low-end, and reliance on atmosphere instead of guitar hooks solidifies the deal for me as pure Moz-solo.

Any Smiths tunes in particular that you felt it resembled? The only two that spring to mind for me would be Last Night I Dreamt... and I Know It's Over.

For my money, I'd have to say "Suedehead" is his most Smiths-like tune... which isn't surprising considering it was done in 1988. But it also has his still slightly-shrill voice, and the Smithsian jangly guitars without much low-end.

-- J.T.

Re: Seasick, yet still docked

I was thinking more on "Asleep", if you put a mandoline like guitar on seasick.. voilá!!, or maybe is too much like "this night has opened my eyes".

what do you think?

sister i'm a poet

sister i'm a poet and sheila take a bow are quite similar or am i just being cloth eared?

Re: sister i'm a poet

> sister i'm a poet and sheila take a bow are quite similar or am i just
> being cloth eared?

Two great songs - I don't know though, when I think of Sheila I think of a more glam-rock style.

I agree to some extent with J.T. that Seasick is perhaps not as Smiths like as many would say - I wonder if the reason it was given that tag was because, at the time of its release, it was quite simply the best thing he had done for absolutely ages?

Suedehead is an interesting choice - I never saw it before, but with a bit of imagination, I can see it having been done by the Smiths, although undoubtedly it would have sounded different.

Back
Top Bottom