Quarry better than the Queen is Dead

Re: Quarry better than Sliced Bread

It takes balls to say something like "quarry is better than the queen is dead" but someone has to be honest.

I suppose anyone back in '86 saying, "the queen is dead is better than sgt pepper" would have been laughed out of the room, but these days, people would take that comment seriously.

Critical acclaim takes time to achieve for great albums.

One thing I know for certain

BB5 is going to be shite.

And that'll only take a few months to prove instead of eighteen years.

We haven't met before have we, broken? Virtually, I mean, not actually.

What are you even talking about with all this "these things take time" b.s.? This album is getting so much critical praise right now. Why are people acting like this album is receiving shoddy treatment from the press? If anything, most critics are bending over backwards to give it good reviews.

Oh, and there's no way in hell this album is better than TQID. But you're right. It does take balls to say something that absurd. Congrats.

Dunno about that. But does he have to? Why are people always expected to 'beat their career masterpieces' like beating your own Olympic record that you got for running when you were 30 when youre now 45 - the expectation is stupid. Sorry to be blunt.

Hmmm... probably because it's less about "expecting" someone to, and more about "hoping" and "wishful thinking." For instance, I always hope that each new released Moz album will somehow beat Vauxhall&I. Three times in a row now that has not happened (tho YATQ is still in the nascent stages of analysis). Do I expect him to? Not really, because it isn't clear to me that it's possible. Yet I will continually discuss the subject and refer to that concept many many times on morrissey-solo because I desperately want it to happen. And there's no real reason why he couldn't, if he wanted to. Unlike sports, where you physically decline to the point where you can't compete professionally anymore, musicians are different.

Witness Neil Young, who waited until the ripe old age of nearly 50 (49) to release his masterpiece, Sleeps With Angels, in 1994, after 25 years of solo albums.

Plus, I think the ol' Mozzer has it in him. He knows what made Vauxhall tick, and he could do it again. I think he just opts not to, for whatever reason. Probably something to do with "not stagnating", "artistic evolvement", "doing new things", "not boring people" etc. Which I suppose is fine, even if it ultimately makes me sad.

> Dunno about that. But does he have to? Why are people always expected to
> 'beat their career masterpieces' like beating your own Olympic record that
> you got for running when you were 30 when youre now 45 - the expectation
> is stupid. Sorry to be blunt.

> Finally Morrissey has beaten his career masterpiece.
you can't really compare the two, in my opinion.
yes it's still MOZ, but you're over looking the missing link --- Marr.
the two had something magical..after the split it's in the history books
it's not a complete parallel comparison

> It takes balls to say something like "quarry is better than the queen
> is dead" but someone has to be honest.

> I suppose anyone back in '86 saying, "the queen is dead is better
> than sgt pepper" would have been laughed out of the room, but these
> days, people would take that comment seriously.

> Critical acclaim takes time to achieve for great albums.

I've been playing all of the Smiths and Morrissey albums and I find I can easily decide which are the top albums, but from there I'm unable to make a judgment on which of the top albums is better than the others.

I sincerely feel that "You Are the Quarry" is amongst his top albums and can stand on equal ground with them. Some days I'm sure I'll like "The Queen is Dead" more, but other days it'll be "Quarry" for me. ("The Queen is Dead," btw, is not my favorite Smiths album, but it is a great one.)

In contrast, I will never feel "Kill Uncle" is anything but an enjoyable record that is by far his worst effort. Every time I listen to "Kill Uncle," I can enjoy the individual songs, but I can't escape the feeling that he settled for less just to get a record in the stores, that it has a frustratingly limp second-half, and how sad it is that he had to rely on session musicians to back his beautiful words.

I like both "Kill Uncle" and "Maladjusted," but they are for the most committed fans who follow the entire body of work. Some people only read The Great Gatsy by F. Scott Fitzgerald because it is an important book in the history of American literature. Others like to read, and find value and pleasure in, everything by Fitzgerald because he is the author for them.

quit the drugs

the best song in quarry isnt worth the worst song in queen is dead, and i love moz solo work btw

Back
Top Bottom