Moon River

B

Brian

The original song "Moon River" by Henry Mancini is so good. Morrissey didn't improve it or anything. You must hear the original. An incredible classic.

Moon River and Golden Lights

Dr. Moz, you are an idiotic monkey you twit! Brian was merely giving a valid opinion and you shoot him down? Why don't you just take a rifle to your forehead and pull that wonderful candy corny corn like trigger you stupid arrogant Edgarbeater.

Let's kick this shiznit style and a beatdown on Dr. Moz on the side!

I should hear the original. Morrissey probably personalized it to his own style and it sounds good, but I'll have to compare it to the original. What year was it originally done?

> The original song "Moon River" by Henry Mancini is so
> good. Morrissey didn't improve it or anything. You must hear the
> original. An incredible classic.

> I should hear the original. Morrissey probably personalized it
> to his own style and it sounds good, but I'll have to compare it
> to the original. What year was it originally done?

Yes, you must hear it. I believe it's the most covered song ever. It was originally released in 1961 or 62 for the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's (where's that person with all the Audrey Hepburn pics???). I'm sure it's on some compilations too. Just be sure you get the original version by Henry Mancini (it's written by Mancini and Johnny Mercer) since it's been covered so many times. I'm sure you could find a CD with it at your local library.

mentally retarded?

> Dr. Moz, you are an idiotic monkey you twit! Brian was merely
> giving a valid opinion and you shoot him down? Why don't you
> just take a rifle to your forehead and pull that wonderful candy
> corny corn like trigger you stupid arrogant Edgarbeater.

> Let's kick this shiznit style and a beatdown on Dr. Moz on the
> side!
greasetea, please go away, you mentally retarded limp bizkit fan

Moon River, the complete story.

> Yes, you must hear it. I believe it's the most covered song
> ever. It was originally released in 1961 or 62 for the movie
> Breakfast at Tiffany's (where's that person with all the Audrey
> Hepburn pics???). I'm sure it's on some compilations too. Just
> be sure you get the original version by Henry Mancini (it's
> written by Mancini and Johnny Mercer) since it's been covered so
> many times. I'm sure you could find a CD with it at your local
> library.

Henri Mancini has said that, although there have been over a thousand cover versions of his "Moon River," always the one that remained his favourite was the original--the one that Audrey sang in the film. Mancini felt that no one had ever sung it with the honesty that Audrey did.

If you buy the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" soundtrack, you'll only get the instrumental version of "Moon River" which is still good (and jazzy), but it's not the "original." For the version Audrey sang, you'll have to buy "Music From the Films of Audrey Hepburn" (the only LP I know of with it), or you'll just have to watch the film. I suggest the latter, because it's wonderful and has its merits aside from the fact that Audrey is in it. Also, if you've read the book, you'll be able to appreciate the amazing job George Axelrod did translating it into script form.

One little interesting bit of info for anyone who might be interested: once the film was completed, Audrey and Blake Edwards (the director) met with the head of Paramount studios in a San Francisco hotel after the initial screening. Once in their room to discuss the picture, the first thing that the studio head said, was (this may not be an EXACT quote), "I'll tell you one thing... we can get rid of that song." He was referring to "Moon River" of course. Well, Audrey stood right up and replied, "over my dead body" (that was an accurate quote).

And the rest is, as they say, history. "Moon River" went on to become the most famous theme song in movie history. Amazing how senseless some of these executives are isn't it? It's not extraneous at all. It even helps Holly Golightly's character development.

Oh yeah, by the way, Audrey actually played the song in the film (below is a picture from that scene). My boyfriend told me that her fingering is spot on--and those are jazz chords or something she's using which are apparently much more difficult.

One last thing regarding this thread. I've heard just a couple of covers of "Moon River" aside from Morrissey's, and I have to admit that I think Morrissey's is the most moving--even more so than Audrey's version. Although Audrey delivered with honesty, Morrissey has an aching sense of loss and sorrow in his voice which I'm not sure anyone could ever express to the same degree. I think Morrissey gave as much, probably more, to "Moon River" than anybody else. But that's said with the understanding that I haven't heard every version out there. All I know is that Morrissey's version, literally, nearly always makes my eyes water... To hear him sing those words, and to know that it's him... it's so, so touching. I love his version.

tiff_26.jpg

...speaking about Audrey

Just wondering why pics of Audrey Hepburn are posted now and then on this site.
-Don't have anything against her, just wanted to know if there is a certain connection... ???

> The original song "Moon River" by Henry Mancini is so
> good. Morrissey didn't improve it or anything. You must hear the
> original. An incredible classic.
yes, the moz version is so affecting. the first time i ever heard it was live in 94, and i was reduced to tears as soon as he opened his mouth

Re: Moon Swagger

Of course you were reduced to tears, you cry about everything including when your mom said "No Max, we can't have sex."

Here's something else to cry about you pansy-o-rama, open that medicine cabinet of yours and take out a nice shiny shinny shiney-o-shine razor you monkeylips and slice your rotted looking arm you freak of nature!
You are a pathetic imbecile and who gives a rats ass on your opinions. You are a worthless pile of mokeySHlT and you need to be treated like so you nigglebump!

Moz is tooo kewl and he's gonna shiznit yo' ass you idiot.

Re: Moon River, the complete story.

I have a version with a bunch of people singing. Some women and at least one man. Like in a musical or something. What version is this?

faint whiff???

Oh, i get it, greasetea, you spend your days being childish and negative about everyones genuine comments because no one in the real world likes the faint whiff of loser about you. i doubt youve ever had emotions about any music, you shallow prick(ps...youre language and syntax skills are alarmingly underdeveloped. I can offer free tuition if you want)

Of course you were reduced to tears, you cry about everything
> including when your mom said "No Max, we can't have
> sex."

> Here's something else to cry about you pansy-o-rama, open that
> medicine cabinet of yours and take out a nice shiny shinny
> shiney-o-shine razor you monkeylips and slice your rotted
> looking arm you freak of nature!
> You are a pathetic imbecile and who gives a rats ass on your
> opinions. You are a worthless pile of mokeySHlT and you need to
> be treated like so you nigglebump!

> Moz is tooo kewl and he's gonna shiznit yo' ass you idiot.

Re: faint whiff???

Hey monkeyass, you're more of a moron than i thought. I am but a harmless loudmouth, but you decided to be ballsy and get my attention. As far as your free lessons, You also offer free head, but I'll decline. Instead I'll offer you this, a wonderful suggestion you mealy mouth mofo. After you pick all the scabs off your ass, pop all the zits from your face and realize that you'll die alone..then you can try to insult me at my level, otherwise, stick yer tail between your legs, take that fat arm and shove it straight up your ass, stick your damn head in the oven and set it for stuffed idiot. I'll be there to kick your pathetic carcass out the window while I'm pissing on your mom.
Eat SHlT, cawz' Morrisey kicks ass you monkeylips!

Awww yeah..can i gets a hootie hoo for my main dawg M.C.Morrisey

Huckleberry friend.

> Just wondering why pics of Audrey Hepburn are posted now and
> then on this site.
> -Don't have anything against her, just wanted to know if there
> is a certain connection... ???

There's no connection really. I mean nothing beyond the very tenuous one that Morrissey covered a theme song from one of her movies. I've just come to admire her very much and I think it's nice to see pictures of her.

By the way, Morrissey edited the lyrics to "Moon River" in his rendition. I think it might have been cute to hear Morrissey sing "huckleberry friend," but it's better that he left it out.

ah_101.jpg

> I have a version with a bunch of people singing. Some women and
> at least one man. Like in a musical or something. What version
> is this?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you might be talking about the Tiffany's theme song version of "Moon River." It's not quite as jazzy as the other tracks, it's more orchestral, but it's still homogeneous. There are so many covers of "Moon River," you could have anyone's version.

brkfst12.jpg

> I'm not sure, but it sounds like you might be talking about the
> Tiffany's theme song version of "Moon River." It's not
> quite as jazzy as the other tracks, it's more orchestral, but
> it's still homogeneous. There are so many covers of "Moon
> River," you could have anyone's version.

It's credited to Henry Mancini. So it's an orginal. Yeah, it's more orchestral. You said that the soundtrack has a jazzy instrumental version though so how did this one come about? How many "original" versions were there before the 1,000+ covers? A jazzy instrumental, orchestral with multiple vocalists, and Audrey's from the movie?

Actually I just checked the samples at CDnow and although the first song on the BaT OST didn't reach the vocals in the sample they give, that's the song I'm hearing. But then song 12 is "Moon River Cha Cha" so maybe that is the jazzy instrumental (there's no sample)?

Also, I see on that compilation you mentioned, Films of Audrey Hepburn, two version of Moon River are included. The first one had a sample and it's again the one I'm hearing but the last song has no sample...must be the Audrey version.

Yo Cili...triple Yay!

I am in love with Audrey Hepburn..my ex used to dress like her albeit her scarves were not as cool as Ms. hepburn's. Keep posting with those pictures of her..they sooth my bile filled heart and tame the bitterness that runs through my system.

Awwwwwww yeah..wussup. Audrey Hepburn is the phatest dudette in dah world. But Moz be my homie with the hair ya'll.

The rest of you carcasses can suck my liver ya fallopian tube nuggets!

Ello where can I hear Morrissey singing Moon River? what disc?

Back
Top Bottom