Moon River

The "original" Moon River.

> It's credited to Henry Mancini. So it's an orginal. Yeah, it's
> more orchestral. You said that the soundtrack has a jazzy
> instrumental version though so how did this one come about? How
> many "original" versions were there before the 1,000+
> covers? A jazzy instrumental, orchestral with multiple
> vocalists, and Audrey's from the movie?

I'm sorry. I wasn't being very clear before. From what I understand--and this comes from the words of Henry Mancini himself--the "original" version of "Moon River" is the one that Audrey sang on her fire escape in Breakfast at Tiffany's. In the film though, there is another orchestral version of the song (the one you have) which is used as the theme song to the film. I actually don't recall hearing "Moon River Cha Cha" during the film, but if it's on the sountrack, I'm sure it's there somewhere. So yes, there are three versions of "Moon River" associated with Breakfast at Tiffany's: the "original" (which is not found on the soundtrack), the movie theme song (the one you have), and that other one called "Moon River Cha Cha".

> Actually I just checked the samples at CDnow and although the
> first song on the BaT OST didn't reach the vocals in the sample
> they give, that's the song I'm hearing. But then song 12 is
> "Moon River Cha Cha" so maybe that is the jazzy
> instrumental (there's no sample)?

The track you heard, the orchestral one, is track one, the theme song. That "Moon River Cha Cha" is some other track which I can't remember. I just recall listening to it, then not recognizing it from the film. Which is strange, because I usually remember these things. I haven't heard the soundtrack in so long, I forgot how it goes, but I do recall thinking that it was no better or worse than that orchestral version. But neither of those versions are as good as Audrey's original, which for some reason is surprisingly difficult to find on cd.

> Also, I see on that compilation you mentioned, Films of Audrey
> Hepburn, two version of Moon River are included. The first one
> had a sample and it's again the one I'm hearing but the last
> song has no sample...must be the Audrey version.

Yeah, that's Audrey's--the "original" version of the song.

151.jpg

Back
Top Bottom