Re: BELLE & SEBASTIAN

M

MPC

> They are a great band, their ep's are much better than their¿ albums. But they're not British, they're Scottish. They cover¿ "Reel Around The Fountain" live sometimes.

They used to, but they told Melody Maker last month that aren't going to again. They said they are tired of Smiths comparisons. I agree that the E.P.s are better. The newest one is brilliant.

Hey Mike, I think that the Smiths comparison is turning into the kiss of death. Whatever happened to all the New Smiths bands anyway? The only thing Gene does to me these days is put me to sleep. Actually, the last Belle & Sebastian ep was my least favorite. Maybe I need to give it a few more listenings. There's always 1 track on each ep that is amazing. "Dog On Wheels": The State That I'm In (Although the "Tigermilk" version is superlative), "Lazy Line Painter Jane": Photo Jenny, "3...6...9 Seconds Of Light": Put The Book Back On The Shelf. By the way, where's Iain when you need him? This is his local band, afterall.

BMAH

> Hey Mike, I think that the Smiths comparison is turning into the¿ kiss of death.

B&S have a general Smiths vibe I guess, and a definite lyrical similarity (their lyrics are much more vague and meaningless than Morrissey's, but they have a similar spirit). Their music, however, isn't much like the Smiths'.¿Whatever happened to all the New Smiths bands¿ anyway? The only thing Gene does to me these days is put me to¿ sleep.

I still listen to Gene a lot! They remain my favorite of the bands tagged as Smiths wannabes. What are they up to these days? Haven't heard anything in ages, but maybe I'm just out of it. I'm holding onto my faith that they're gonna make a breakthrough and hit a new level soon. The pieces are all there.

¿ I still listen to Gene a lot! They remain my favorite of the¿ bands tagged as Smiths wannabes. What are they up to these days?¿ Haven't heard anything in ages, but maybe I'm just out of it.¿ I'm holding onto my faith that they're gonna make a breakthrough¿ and hit a new level soon. The pieces are all there.

They have a new single coming out 8 Feb. I think that it is really quite good. Although, I have to agree with beau that their last album was pretty naff. I heard their one off show last month was great. They are touring in March, so I expect a new full length record will come out before then.

I'd have to agree with you beau. I think that 'Rock Song' and 'Slow Graffiti' are great, but the other two 'not terrific but competent'. B&S have never been my favourites, but there has not been a whole lot of really good indie rock coming out in the UK for a while now.

> B&S have a general Smiths vibe I guess, and a definite lyrical¿ similarity (their lyrics are much more vague and meaningless¿ than Morrissey's, but they have a similar spirit). Their music,¿ however, isn't much like the Smiths'.

yes, i agree with you. the songs are a little bit "not well played" as the velvet underground ones. and some songs are pure velvet ones.

and what a such wonderful band! (i only know the lps)

> I'd have to agree with you beau. I think that 'Rock Song' and¿ 'Slow Graffiti' are great, but the other two 'not terrific but¿ competent'. B&S have never been my favourites, but there has not¿ been a whole lot of really good indie rock coming out in the UK¿ for a while now.
Unfortunately the face of music in Britain has changed completely. 'Pop' music is now back in.(By that they mean throwaway songs appealing to pre teens.)
The only decent stuff around at the moment is seems to be B&S, Rialto (Any Scott Walker fans would do well to listen to them. They're like a cross between Him and Mcalmont/Butler) and Blackbox Recorder.
I've seen a few bands this year, and I'm sorry to say that the supposed saviors of british music,such as Idlewild are all @#!!!. The only band that I've seen this year who actually excited me when I witnessed their performance were James, and Travis(although this was more to do with the fact that they're local heroes than their musical ability.)
Incidentally, my university was about 500 yards from where Belle and Sebastian formed!

> I still listen to Gene a lot! They remain my favorite of the¿ bands tagged as Smiths wannabes. What are they up to these days?¿ Haven't heard anything in ages, but maybe I'm just out of it.¿ I'm holding onto my faith that they're gonna make a breakthrough¿ and hit a new level soon. The pieces are all there.

They're releasing a new album soon, and will be playing London sometime in March (25th?)

Back
Top Bottom