Discussion Topic: Mike Joyce's Attitude Toward Morrissey...

K

King Leer

Just putting this out there to incite some discussion...

After reading plenty of interviews and soundbites over the years since the nasty court case, it really seems as if Joyce doesn't harbour any ill feelings toward Morrissey at all. Joyce is obviously not a cerebral guy, or someone given to deep emotions -- really the opposite of Morrissey, but he seems to be optimistic about The Smiths' legacy and doesn't at all come across as harsh when talking about Moz. He's also quick to praise the undeniable talent Morrissey has, and rarely toots his own horn. As the recent Word piece stated, it's easy for Joyce to be this way because he "won". But what has he won? Whether you agree with his fight or not, it's obviously been a hard fought battle for him, too, with probably very few pence to show for it, and maybe financial debt.

Like many (some?) others, I originally thought MJ was after 25% of the songwriting royalties -- and clearly off his nut. But then I found out it was for performing royalties. While I don't think he deserves it (because he wasn't 25% of the reason people came to see their concerts -- 10% was a generous figure), it's not that unreasonable that he would fight for it, much to Morrissey's eternal torture.

Having said all this, who knows what it's like behind the scenes, with Joyce's legal minions turning up at concert venues and God knows what else? The contempt Morrissey feels for the whole situation hasn't at all lessened in the last eight years -- Joyce makes an appearance on the new record, credited as a "northern leech"...

In a related item, did anyone end up buying Rourke's "royalty stream"?

One of the reasons Moz is so hostile towards Joyce is - if rumours in journalistic circles are to be believed - that sometime back in the day these two men were 'very close' and actually did the deed.

A bit hard to swallow (excuse pun) but it might explain Moz's venom which is very much that of a bitchy, wronged ex...

Well, performance royalties should be split evenly. Joyce was a part of that sound, he played live and on the records. Anyway, it doesnt matter what we think, the court ruled in Joyce's favour, which must mean that it is the correct LEGAL decision. I don't like MOZ's bitterness, he allows himself to get dragged down too easily. I dont like Bon Jovi music but I remember Jon Bon Jovi being asked why he didnt take legal action against someone who stole one of his songs and he said 'I will just write another'. I think thats a more impressive and defiant attitude that Moz's. I dont know what Joyce's 'royalty stream' is.

> One of the reasons Moz is so hostile towards Joyce is - if rumours in
> journalistic circles are to be believed - that sometime back in the day
> these two men were 'very close' and actually did the deed.

> A bit hard to swallow (excuse pun) but it might explain Moz's venom which
> is very much that of a bitchy, wronged ex...

I'm sure you're thinking of Culture Club, where the singer 'did' the drummer

'Anyway, it doesnt matter what we think, the court ruled in Joyce's favour'

legality and morality do not always coincide.
The decision of the court might be wrong (morally).

> One of the reasons Moz is so hostile towards Joyce is - if rumours in
> journalistic circles are to be believed - that sometime back in the day
> these two men were 'very close' and actually did the deed.

> A bit hard to swallow (excuse pun) but it might explain Moz's venom which
> is very much that of a bitchy, wronged ex...

i don't believe that in the slightest. i think that if anyone was dealing with a lawsuit for nearly 10 years that they would eventually lose it.

You also have to think that this all boils down to wealth, which really, shouldn't be much of an issue to Moz seeing it isnt that important a thing to him. Unless he is completly skinters (reflected in the unpaid roadies 2002 fiasco)....But he also said in an interview The Smiths was a deeply personal thing to him, so maybe he feels vindicted by Joyce's claim of Morrissey's overall input into it, measured by finance. There are many angles to it, interesting topic, but it all ends bitterly in the end when discussed in public with who it concerns

MBB321

Back
Top Bottom