Poor review by Nick Kent in Liberation

D

Don Corleone

There is a poor review of you are the quarry in the french newspaper Liberation by nick kent.
He says that nothing changed in morrissey's life and that the most depressing is that Moz is petty, agreessive, paranoiac and bears grudges. He also says that the lyrics are clumsy.

He says that the fans will listen to you are the quarry one or two times, before going back to the smiths albums...

Dear Nick Kent, how do you know that the fans are going to hate this album?
Are you one of those critics who always say it is not like the old days anymore? I think you have not aged well, like John Harris... and that Moz is on top form.

And it's too late : I've always listened to YATQ a hundred times!

> There is a poor review of you are the quarry in the french newspaper
> Liberation by nick kent.
> He says that nothing changed in morrissey's life and that the most
> depressing is that Moz is petty, agreessive, paranoiac and bears grudges.
> He also says that the lyrics are clumsy.

> He says that the fans will listen to you are the quarry one or two times,
> before going back to the smiths albums...

> Dear Nick Kent, how do you know that the fans are going to hate this
> album?
> Are you one of those critics who always say it is not like the old days
> anymore? I think you have not aged well, like John Harris... and that Moz
> is on top form.

Nick Kent was a BIG Smiths fan and possibly one of the best music journalists there ever was.

We have to accept that not everyone is going to love the album/That's the way things go.

The reviews I have read have been 95% positive
> And it's too late : I've always listened to YATQ a hundred times!

> Nick Kent was a BIG Smiths fan and possibly one of the best music
> journalists there ever was.

> We have to accept that not everyone is going to love the album/That's the
> way things go.

> The reviews I have read have been 95% positive

I don't mind people/reviewers not liking the album but some of them seem to be taking it as a personal betrayal.

Cette chronique est claiement simpliste et reductrice, et you are the quarry est un album plus subtil que ca dans ses melodies. cependant les phrases citees par nick kent pour etayer sa these du morrissey "agressif et paranoiaque" sont quand meme sacrement violentes, et d'une vulgarite etonnante de la part de morrissey, qui avait l'habitude d'etre plus elegant (et d'autant plus cassant) dans ses attaques...

> I don't mind people/reviewers not liking the album but some of them seem
> to be taking it as a personal betrayal.

I think The Smiths just meant so much to some people and everything that Morrissey has done since,some of which has been brilliant,will never relate to them in the same way.

In a way it's a back handed compliment.No other artist has their work scrutinized in such a way.People expect so much from Morrissey and often unrealistic burdens of expectation are placed on him.

Morrissey and Marr really did write songs that changed peoples lives for ever.

It's a hard act to follow.

I will always love Morrissey but first and foremost I will always be a Smith fan.

> Cette chronique est claiement simpliste et reductrice, et you are the
> quarry est un album plus subtil que ca dans ses melodies. cependant les
> phrases citees par nick kent pour etayer sa these du morrissey
> "agressif et paranoiaque" sont quand meme sacrement violentes,
> et d'une vulgarite etonnante de la part de morrissey, qui avait l'habitude
> d'etre plus elegant (et d'autant plus cassant) dans ses attaques...

Je suis d'accord, cette chronique est vraiment simpliste et réductrice.
En ce qui concerne les phrases que citent nick kent, elles ne représentent pas la majorité de l'album, et elles sont sorties de leur contexte. Je pense en effet que seul morrissey est capable de chanter de telles phrases avec une telle élégance. Une autre personne, ou un autre groupe serait tombé dans la vulgarité très facilement. Et puis, il ne faut pas tout prendre au premier degré. Les paroles de morrissey demeurent subtiles et ironiques.
En tout cas, les chroniques de libé sont toujours moyennes, elles ne sont pas assez longues, et toujours réductrices.

I do know what you mean about The Smiths. Up to eighteen months ago I classed myself as a Smiths fan but strange and wonderful things have been happening in my head since then. It's as though suddenly, after all these years, I've finally realised why I haven't outgrown these songs. There should be something slightly tragic about not outgrowing them and for a while I even thought it was rather tragic.

Then I tried to explain why The Smiths were so good to people I met on a different fansite, feeling tragic and defensive, and the need to articulate my responses made me think about the songs in ways I never had before. I wouldn't have thought it was possible but I actually love, and respect, the songs even more as a result. And, even stranger, I find I'm a born again Morrissey fan. I can't help but feel that if Nick Kent sat down and thought a little more about why he loved The Smiths in the first place he might actually be able to let himself love Morrissey's work as well.

I've read this one too and even some of his critics are undeniably true, it's quiete strange that he focused on these peculiar points without even mentionning the rest ...

Tout à fait, en plus Nick Kent se réfère à la phrase "Fat pigs" dans "America", mais cette phrase est en effet sortie de son contexte, allez relire les paroles, il dit en fait que les US doivent se poser la question de savoir pourquoi on les insulte de "gros porcs" dans certaines parties du monde (en l'occurrence, il parle de l'Estonie), et termine par ailluers la chanson en disant 20 fois "I love you". Nick Kent s'est arrêté à une lecture premier degré (et encore), et n'a rien compris au morceau. Par ailleurs, se limiter à une chronique de 10 lignes ne permet en effet pas d'aller bien loin dans l'analyse. Dommage, mais ça confirme malheureusement que Libé s'intéresse plus à Johnny Hallyday qu'à notre Momo préféré.

> Tout à fait, en plus Nick Kent se réfère à la phrase "Fat pigs"
> dans "America", mais cette phrase est en effet sortie de son
> contexte, allez relire les paroles, il dit en fait que les US doivent se
> poser la question de savoir pourquoi on les insulte de "gros
> porcs" dans certaines parties du monde (en l'occurrence, il parle de
> l'Estonie), et termine par ailluers la chanson en disant 20 fois "I
> love you". Nick Kent s'est arrêté à une lecture premier degré (et
> encore), et n'a rien compris au morceau. Par ailleurs, se limiter à une
> chronique de 10 lignes ne permet en effet pas d'aller bien loin dans
> l'analyse. Dommage, mais ça confirme malheureusement que Libé s'intéresse
> plus à Johnny Hallyday qu'à notre Momo préféré.

Je suis d'accord.

> I think The Smiths just meant so much to some people and everything that
> Morrissey has done since,some of which has been brilliant,will never
> relate to them in the same way.

> In a way it's a back handed compliment.No other artist has their work
> scrutinized in such a way.People expect so much from Morrissey and often
> unrealistic burdens of expectation are placed on him.

> Morrissey and Marr really did write songs that changed peoples lives for
> ever.

> It's a hard act to follow.

> I will always love Morrissey but first and foremost I will always be a
> Smith fan.

Quite true, everything dating from "teenage" years sounds better

Back
Top Bottom