MOZ and Pet Shop Boys! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

M

mike

Does anybody know anything about the validity to the snippet of Moz possibly working with the Petshop Boys on his next album. Oh please say it isnt so. Could this be the end of Moz. The press will have a field day, and it will prove once again, him going back on his statements!
I surely hope that the aging Morrissey would not make such a terrible blunder, his career needs an uplift not a final stamp of HAS BEEN! What could come next House versions and dance mixes of Moz titles....YUCK! I should hope i never live to see the day. Say its not so Morrissey.(remember the New York mix). I hope just because everyone else in music has gone electronic, Moz wont follow. He never has before.

Despite I cherish PSB's work and talent, particularly on the "Behaviour" album (of course Johnny Marr's contribution to a couple of the songs have a lot to do with it) it would be a disappointment to have an electronic moz album. It wouldn't hurt and it might turn out to be an interesting outcome if a couple of the songs of the album were to have Lowe's mellow electronic influence

I think if this is true, then Morrissey wil have finally nailed his own coffin. But i doubt it is true. Im hoping, because we will be truely dissaopinted.

> I think if this is true, then Morrissey wil have finally nailed¿ his own coffin. But i doubt it is true. Im hoping, because we¿ will be truely dissaopinted.
Personally, I really like PSB and I think a collaboration between them and Moz would be interesting! Far from being a nail in his coffin, I think it could be really brilliant. Besides, I don't imagine Moz would really release any remixes or anything!

Re: MOZ and Pet Shop Boys! YYYEEESSSS!!!

I think a collaboration with the Pet Shop Boys would be a blessing for Morrissey. And I don't think he would be ridiculed by the press either, for Pet Shop Boys always receive critical acclaim with everything they do. Neil and Chris definately have the Midas touch when it comes to working with others, whether it be David Bowie and Blur, or Liza Minnelli and Robbie Robertson.

Pet Shop Boys write lyrics as brilliant as Morrissey; Johnny Marr has stated that Neil Tennant was the only real literate lyricist besides Moz in the 80's, and he said that Pet Shop Boys and New Order were the only electronic outfits that ever appealed to him. Neil Tennant said that "The Pet Shop Boys are The Smiths you can dance to", which isn't too far from being true.

Pet Shop Boys continue to put out unbelievable music 10 years into their career, which is alot more than you can say about nearly any other artist that has been around as long. Their last album was spectacular, and Pet Shop Boys don't just make electronic music. If you've ever heard the song "Decadence", which is just Johnny playing guitar and Neil singing, it would give you faith that Mr. Marr isn't washed up and still has alot of talent. he just needs a competent lyricist: something Mr. Tennant definately is.

Pet Shop Boys are ones that march to a different drummer, and everyone from Guns N Roses' Axl Rose to Divine Comedys' Neil Hannon claim to be Pets fans. Pet Shop Boys have never been shy about making "dicso" music, something that is very in vogue today. "Behaviour" came out in '91, at the peak of grunge and hair rock. If you've ever heard that album, its very melancholy and beautiful: nothing like the rest of the music which was being made at the time. Maybe if Morrissey were to associate with a comperable songwriter like Neil Tennant, it might give him the kick in the pants he needs.

It might not be an electronic album, a lot of their work is quite orchestral, and Neil DOES play guitar you know! Anyway Byork is a bit like moz crossed with the pets and it hasn't done her much harm. Lets wait and see.

> Does anybody know anything about the validity to the snippet of¿ Moz possibly working with the Petshop Boys on his next album. Oh¿ please say it isnt so. Could this be the end of Moz. The press¿ will have a field day, and it will prove once again, him going¿ back on his statements!¿ I surely hope that the aging Morrissey would not make such a¿ terrible blunder, his career needs an uplift not a final stamp¿ of HAS BEEN! What could come next House versions and dance mixes¿ of Moz titles....YUCK! I should hope i never live to see the¿ day. Say its not so Morrissey.(remember the New York mix). I¿ hope just because everyone else in music has gone electronic,¿ Moz wont follow. He never has before.

Just because they may contribute to his album doesn't mean it'll be a disco album. Maybe they'll just sing back-up or something. We already know Boz and Alain have written songs, so it appears it'll be the same band. But lets face it, Morrissey needs to do something very different next time out, and I'm sure he knows this. The moment you stop changing, evolving, surprising people, is the moment you ought to retire. He surprised us with Your Arsenal, and then Southpaw, and now he must again. I _love_ Maladjusted, but that kind of album is too easy for him. It's time to take a risk.

Just as Long as it's Not The Crying Game...

> Just because they may contribute to his album doesn't mean it'll¿ be a disco album. Maybe they'll just sing back-up or something.¿ We already know Boz and Alain have written songs, so it appears¿ it'll be the same band. But lets face it, Morrissey needs to do¿ something very different next time out, and I'm sure he knows¿ this. The moment you stop changing, evolving, surprising people,¿ is the moment you ought to retire. He surprised us with Your¿ Arsenal, and then Southpaw, and now he must again. I _love_¿ Maladjusted, but that kind of album is too easy for him. It's¿ time to take a risk.

I couldn't have summed it up much better. The Pet Shop Boys could have worked wonders with Interlude; it's quite in the same vein as The Crying Game--though I'm loathe to fuel Boy George comparisons!

I think a middle ground between his hammer-headed recent pop and electronic would be good--meeting somewhere in the Pulp's This is Hardcore region. And I agree with the Uncut article of last August that stated Maladjusted proved Morrissey will have to change. The Smiths were extremely adaptable in their short tenure. You play the debut album back to back with Strangeways and, though the essentials are the same, it hardly seems like the same band. Play Your Arsenal back to back with Maladjusted and not much seems to have changed. Play Vauxhall and I and Southpaw Grammar back to back and the difference is scintillating. A great artist isn't afraid to change or try something new. I figure as long as Morrissey's pen keeps bleeding remarkable lyrics, the "window dressing" can change with the times.

It is important to remember that Morrissey once said something to the effect of it being more exciting to give an audience what they DON'T want more than what they expect to get. Southpaw may be reviled by some, misunderstood, or not well-received--but I'm sure it pricked up a lot of fans' ears!

Cheers,

Jamie

Re: MOZ and Pet Shop Boys! YYYEEESSSS!!!

> I think a collaboration with the Pet Shop Boys would be a¿ blessing for Morrissey. And I don't think he would be ridiculed¿ by the press either, for Pet Shop Boys always receive critical¿ acclaim with everything they do. Neil and Chris definately have¿ the Midas touch when it comes to working with others, whether it¿ be David Bowie and Blur, or Liza Minnelli and Robbie Robertson.

So, it does prove that at least they do something besides electronica.

I am PSB illiterate, so I really don't know what they do besides wear funny robes in their videos.¿ Maybe if Morrissey were¿ to associate with a comperable songwriter like Neil Tennant, it¿ might give him the kick in the pants he needs.

Sounds good to me.

blah

Thank You, But No

> I think a collaboration with the Pet Shop Boys would be a¿ blessing for Morrissey. And I don't think he would be ridiculed¿ by the press either, for Pet Shop Boys always receive critical¿ acclaim with everything they do. Neil and Chris definately have¿ the Midas touch when it comes to working with others, whether it¿ be David Bowie and Blur, or Liza Minnelli and Robbie Robertson.

Why is everyone so interested in this collaboration? His last two albums may not have been up to par when compared to his earlier ones, but I haven't exactly left him for dead. Morrissey has always been in the driver's seat when it comes to making his records; to have someone like Neil Tennant come in and spearhead some sort of new sound for him would...I don't know...wouldn't seem right.¿Maybe if Morrissey were¿ to associate with a comperable songwriter like Neil Tennant, it¿ might give him the kick in the pants he needs.

But does he really need a kick in the pants? I say no (don't worry - the dog's fine!) : )

Re: Just as Long as it's Not The Crying Game...

¿ It is important to remember that Morrissey once said something¿ to the effect of it being more exciting to give an audience what¿ they DON'T want more than what they expect to get. Southpaw may¿ be reviled by some, misunderstood, or not well-received--but I'm¿ sure it pricked up a lot of fans' ears!

Yeah, he also has criticized others for being dull, by which he meant never doing anything off the mark. I'd rather have a flawed but gutsy and somewhat experimental album (which i think Southpaw was) than a perfect but same old same old album. And you never know, he may just end up with gutsy,experimental and flawless. But you can't expect masterpieces; you can only hope for them.

What do people want: Your Arsenal 2, Vauxhal and I ...Again???!!!??!?!?!

I personally loved Malajusted. In my opinion in was clearly a step up from Southpaw Grammer, which I also like. Yet, Morrissey seems to be stomped on due to the fact that that he hasn't delivered "Your Arsenal 2" or "Vauxhaul and I...Again". This has been what has always attracted me to his work. It isn't the same. There are always subtle differences with each progrression. I am confidant that this new collaberation with the Pet Shop Boys (who I like as well) will be apart of the continuing musical progress of Morrissey.

Artists have to change. My favorite artists have been those who do not stay the same(Morrissey being on top of course). Sometimes it is successful (eg: The Beatles), sometimes it hasn't been (eg: Tears For Fears). I love these artists for surprising me each time. Whether or not Morrissey has another commercial blockbuster or not I intend to pick up the new album. I just hope to hear something soon.

"I am rubbing my eyes at a dream come true"

I was only recently "introduced" to PSB. I always assumed that they were "West End Girls" and little more. I was terribly wrong.

Their lyrics, focus on presentation and quality music are incredible. They are not just some retro disco act...and not just some 80's flashback act.

Take the time to listen to them and don't judge them as I once did.

Start with "Discography" (a singles compilation), or if you're a bit daring try "Behaviour" or "Very".

Before you know it even YOU might be searching for the "Voxigen Mix"...but only if I get it first :)

Take care all,
Ken

The boy who couldn't keep his clothes on
arldpr.jpg

Re: What do people want: Your Arsenal 2, Vauxhal and I ...Again???!!!??!?!?!

A collaboration with the pet shop boys with be a good thing... A clash of of ideas... But also a collaboration with Mr. Marr, or Bjork, or Beck (remember the beck t-shirt), or REM... But all that, in great Moz style... Moz 2000!

And also a show! In 2 parts: The Smiths 83-87; and Moz 88-00. 3 hours with a break in the middle.

Now that will be something

> A collaboration with the pet shop boys with be a good thing... A¿ clash of of ideas... But also a collaboration with Mr. Marr, or¿ Bjork, or Beck (remember the beck t-shirt), or REM... But all¿ that, in great Moz style... Moz 2000!

the only thing that could make me hate moz would be a colaboration with björk...

He'll ALWAYS just be MORRISSEY - and that's FINE with me!

> the only thing that could make me hate moz would be a¿ colaboration with björk...

ANY collaboration with wierd,trendy, "alternative" types (i.e. Bjork or Beck, the latter whom I enjoy very much)would irk me. The people with whom he's collaborated with in the past have always been just out of the mainstream (and for reasons of art and respect, not for the sake of saving his career), and I STILL don't believe he needs the likes of the PSB or other "svengalis" to resurrect his career, because he can only be who is: MORRISSEY. Anyway, what does he need to achieve, at this point? The only thing I'd ask of him is to keep being true to himself and create some beautiful music (and hurry, already!!) :)

Reminds me of that saying, about how you can like someone so much, and yet, once you start dating them, the first thing you want to do is to change them.

> the only thing that could make me hate moz would be a¿ colaboration with björk...

Don't worry. Bjork is known to not like Morrissey.

now i have a motif to go to island and KILL BJORK!!!!

i didn't know it, thanks.

of course the subject of this post is a (bad) joke...

Sounds good to me.

It's unfortunate that Bjork left behind her legitimacy in the music industry when she broke from the Sugarcubes. At least, Bjork had some sense of direction when the Sugarcubes were around. Now, BLLLAAAAAHHHHH! She has no direction, she goes around in circles and circles. Did somebody say that she has a dislike for Morrissey? What in the world did Moz do to upset that Icelandic wench? I guess, Morrissey actually has a mind and Bjork is envious of that because she's been looking for some intelligence for years. Did anyone see that animal, Bjork, attack that reporter at that airport a couple of years back? Goddamn! What a fiesty little ingrate! Talk about taking a chill pill.¿ i didn't know it, thanks.¿ of course the subject of this post is a (bad) joke...

Re: Sounds good to me.

yeah, i liked the first sugarcubes too...

another motif to hate her so much...¿ It's unfortunate that Bjork left behind her legitimacy in the¿ music industry when she broke from the Sugarcubes. At least,¿ Bjork had some sense of direction when the Sugarcubes were¿ around. Now, BLLLAAAAAHHHHH! She has no direction, she goes¿ around in circles and circles. Did somebody say that she has a¿ dislike for Morrissey? What in the world did Moz do to upset¿ that Icelandic wench? I guess, Morrissey actually has a mind and¿ Bjork is envious of that because she's been looking for some¿ intelligence for years. Did anyone see that animal, Bjork,¿ attack that reporter at that airport a couple of years back?¿ Goddamn! What a fiesty little ingrate! Talk about taking a chill¿ pill.

Back
Top Bottom