Please come back my love

M

moz

I just read this short interview with A. Whyte. He talks about being in a new band Johnny Panic. And how he wants " a working band that can always play". So does this mean moz isn't working on new material or maybe with someone else but i doudt that. Anyways it makes me sad that maybe moz isn't planning on doing anything any more or at least not anytime soon. Surely he doesn't think his music isn't needed anymore, he must now of all his devoted fans.
Please come back my love. My heart longs to see and hear you.
I only wish I could say those words to him in person.
Hopelessly devoted MORRISSEY

1picsframe.html

Yeah, I read that too. I think it sucks. I don't think Morrissey is working on anything right now although I think he should be. It's about time for another album and then a tour. Personally I think he should get back together with Johnny Marr. It would really boost his popularity.
It's too bad, I liked Alain, he wrote great songs, like Nobody Loves Us.:-(

> I just read this short interview with A. Whyte. He talks about¿ being in a new band Johnny Panic. And how he wants " a¿ working band that can always play". So does this mean moz¿ isn't working on new material or maybe with someone else but i¿ doudt that. Anyways it makes me sad that maybe moz isn't¿ planning on doing anything any more or at least not anytime¿ soon. Surely he doesn't think his music isn't needed anymore, he¿ must now of all his devoted fans.¿ Please come back my love. My heart longs to see and hear you.¿ I only wish I could say those words to him in person.¿ Hopelessly devoted MORRISSEY

He'll be back, he needs the money to pay off the lawsuit ($1.6 million!) And besides, Boz Boorer has had another band for over a year! So, the fact that Whyte has a new band does not mean the end of Moz Music! Just do your best and don't worry!

Here's why Morrissey will always come back!!

Everyone who wants to know why Morrissey CAN'T possibly stop making music, read Donald Kuspit's 'Fame As A Cure-All' about Andy Warhol. It will make your day.

Moz Isn't A Machine

gwyn, it hasn't been two years since maladjusted, i can understand where you're coming from but the man isn't a machine. as per touring, that can oft be an unbelievably exhaustive and draining experience as well...i'd be happy if he swung by toronto at all again if even as an old, greyed creature. of course i would be pleased to hear new things being released all the time, but not if it's second rate. i think it's important to remember that he's as human as the next person and one can't expect him to release masterpiece after masterpiece, endlessly.

as for speculation here, was maladjusted the last breath?

we shall see.

Allison

Dare You Click?
maladjus.gif

Re: Moz Isn't A Love Machine.

> gwyn, it hasn't been two years since maladjusted, i can¿ understand where you're coming from but the man isn't a machine.

Speaking of Belle and Sebastian....they toured and released an EP and an album last year, and are going to release more stuff this year. Not only that, since they are still a poor band earning their measely 15% off each record sale, some of the members are washing dishes to earn money....after all, the bucks have to be split 8 ways. One guy writes most of that stuff (we like to forget that the bass player writes things) while Moz writes only the lyrics and shows up to the studio to lay down the vocals and goes home...no wait, someone drives him home. He could even be in the back seat writing lyrics....yes, that's how much free time he has. His hands aren't busy. His mom does his laundry while he flies to LA and shops. Now, that is not a hard life. It just kills me that people around here think that he's working himself to death by showing up to a radio interview. He's not even pushing the buttons on the board and making it go out over the air. He just sits there and talks at a microphone aimed at his face. He doesn't even have to come up with the subject. The dj and the callers do it for him. Yeah, he has to be interesting while doing it, but if he's already an interesting guy like we know he is, there is no brain strain involved.

It sounds like I'm being hard, but really, that's just talent wasted....and after someone here had been lecturing me about not having enough time to focus on anything.......

Yes, he worked to get to that position, but you have to work to keep it.

As for whatever he decides to release....he should quit making it messages to his friends. It's lovely for the friends, but the audience just doesn't get it.

sincerely,

Suzi of the Q's, Dos Equis artist of the month

"working class" musicians

i think it's unfair to compare b&s to moz, don't you? a two year old band may have a particularly industrious nature when it's first blossoming, but consider them in sixteen-odd years. morrissey has had the ability to re-invent himself after the smiths, which i think was a remarkable task within itself. the vast majority of artists who emerge from bands like the smiths and make a stab at a solo career often eddy into a desperate pattern of clinging to what was in their glory days. morrissey has matured into a fully developed artist, most apparent through vauxhall and i. as cantona would say, "he ages like fine wine" :p maladjusted was a good album, and considering he was in his fourteenth year (or so) in this business, this makes it more remarkable to me at least. of course i realize that this has been his choice to stay in the industry--

i won't dispute that his lifestyle isn't what i would call a "struggling working class" situation, but i'd like to think that he hasn't entirely lost sight of his origins or audience. i don't know the man, i have no idea who does his laundry, but i don't think i'm ready to dismiss him as a lazy gluttonous bastard.

"Don't rake up my mistakes...I know exactly what they are"

Dare You Click?
vauxhall.gif

Re: Moz Isn't A Love Machine.

> Moz writes only the lyrics and shows up to the studio to lay down¿ the vocals and goes home...no wait, someone drives him home. He¿ could even be in the back seat writing lyrics....yes, that's how¿ much free time he has. His hands aren't busy. His mom does his¿ laundry while he flies to LA and shops. Now, that is not a hard¿ life.¿ but if he's already an interesting guy like we know he is, there is no >brain strain involved.

To add my two cents, Morrissey doesn't just show up, sing and go home. Since he's gone solo, he's had a lot more imput regarding the music (arrangements, etc) and - as always - has final say in what goes on the record. He chooses who plays on the albums, after all. From his album covers to his videos, he puts more thought into every aspect of "Morrissey" then you may care to give him credit for.

And, as far as any evidence of brain strain, his expertly crafted lyrics are so rich with meaning, I'd find it hard to believe he merely puts pen to paper and scribbles these lyrics (and arrangements) with no effort. And, if he does, well then, he's a genius who isn't getting enough credit! = )

C'mon. He's A Genius And Work Is A Four-Letter Word

As to comparisons with b&s,let's not forget work is a four-letter word. Morrissey has stated consistently in interviews that music is his life, that everything he does and experiences reflects directly onto his music. This is why he didn't stop with Vauxhall and I, as he contemplated doing in 1994. Subsequently, he came back with Boxers. Then Southpaw, maladjusted. As an experienced musician myself I know where the Moz is coming from on the "life to music" issue.
I read the Whyte interview as well, I didn't read anything into it. In the albuquerque interview of September 13, Morrissey stated that he planned to record in the winter and hopefully release an album in Spring 1999. With all evidences in hand, I wager he's recording at this very moment!!?!

ian¿ Everyone who wants to know why Morrissey CAN'T possibly stop¿ making music, read Donald Kuspit's 'Fame As A Cure-All' about¿ Andy Warhol. It will make your day.

> Yeah, I read that too. I think it sucks. I don't think Morrissey¿ is working on anything right now although I think he should be.¿ It's about time for another album and then a tour. Personally I¿ think he should get back together with Johnny Marr.

I would think Morrissey would wanna end the century with a bang. We can only hope he's in his room drawing up a plan.

Re: "working class" musicians

If I was a pop star, the day that my fans started their opinions of my albums with 'Considering he's been in the business for such and such amount of time, it's a good album.......' would be the day that I gave up. When fans have to start making excuses for the quality of an album there is something seriuosly wrong. Why not just produce better albums? Maladjusted was ok, but it is still seriously lacking in many areas.....Johnny Marr for instance.....

Moz isn't worried about pleasing you

Sitting still is exhausting too you know. Besides you can't say anything about "talent wasted" when you look at his back catalogue. He has contributed more than most artists.¿ Speaking of Belle and Sebastian....they toured and released an¿ EP and an album last year, and are going to release more stuff¿ this year. Not only that, since they are still a poor band¿ earning their measely 15% off each record sale, some of the¿ members are washing dishes to earn money....after all, the bucks¿ have to be split 8 ways. One guy writes most of that stuff (we¿ like to forget that the bass player writes things) while Moz¿ writes only the lyrics and shows up to the studio to lay down¿ the vocals and goes home...no wait, someone drives him home. He¿ could even be in the back seat writing lyrics....yes, that's how¿ much free time he has. His hands aren't busy. His mom does his¿ laundry while he flies to LA and shops. Now, that is not a hard¿ life. It just kills me that people around here think that he's¿ working himself to death by showing up to a radio interview.¿ He's not even pushing the buttons on the board and making it go¿ out over the air. He just sits there and talks at a microphone¿ aimed at his face. He doesn't even have to come up with the¿ subject. The dj and the callers do it for him. Yeah, he has to¿ be interesting while doing it, but if he's already an¿ interesting guy like we know he is, there is no brain strain¿ involved.¿ It sounds like I'm being hard, but really, that's just talent¿ wasted....and after someone here had been lecturing me about not¿ having enough time to focus on anything.......¿ Yes, he worked to get to that position, but you have to work to¿ keep it.¿ As for whatever he decides to release....he should quit making¿ it messages to his friends. It's lovely for the friends, but the¿ audience just doesn't get it.¿ sincerely,¿ Suzi of the Q's, Dos Equis artist of the month

Where's the Alain interview then?

I'd like to read this, is it on the net?¿ I just read this short interview with A. Whyte. He talks about¿ being in a new band Johnny Panic. And how he wants " a¿ working band that can always play". So does this mean moz¿ isn't working on new material or maybe with someone else but i¿ doudt that. Anyways it makes me sad that maybe moz isn't¿ planning on doing anything any more or at least not anytime¿ soon. Surely he doesn't think his music isn't needed anymore, he¿ must now of all his devoted fans.¿ Please come back my love. My heart longs to see and hear you.¿ I only wish I could say those words to him in person.¿ Hopelessly devoted MORRISSEY

If what you're going on about is true,then Heaven knows I'm miserable now;But I don't think it could be,remember he's got his life to sing,so hopefully we've got ages yet.RIGHT???

Yes, that seems to be the problem.

If Morrissey spent more time considering his fans, instead of
fighting imaginary enemies like Mike Joyce, we might actually
receive a brand new, wonderful album or EP.

Yet, he instead seems to be more interested in pursuing the ever
elusive "martyr" role, and establishing himself as a modern day Oscar Wilde.

He probably hopes that in ten years, some might look back on his career and think how shabbilly he was treated by so many; when in actuality he has gotten everything he could possibly want out of his career.

The old excuse of "the radio won't play my songs," is
becoming trite.

The radio was never overly affectionate to the Smiths, but they
still managed to tour extensively and promote themselves through
substance and vigor. Something the Mozzer has fell short in
accomplishing.

The Moz has not been done wrong, anymore than any other artist
has been done wrong. He chose to play this game. He seems to
have escaped better off than others who have chosen to spin the wheel.

You have to be willing to give to get, and that's another area
the Mozzer has had trouble with.

I find it sickening to see people treat this man like a bullied
five-year old, who is so sorrowfully misunderstood. Mozzer wants to
be misunderstood, so he won't be directly responsible for his
actions. He will smugly chalk it up to a persons lack of insight.

If there is an artist, who owes anything to his fans, then it is
Morrissey. Never before has such loyalty been given to a music
artist with so little given in return.

When you release an album like "Maladjusted," an album
that obviously displayed a high-degree of apathy, you should
expect for no one to care or go on about it.

Does anyone truly blame his band members, if they decide to go
elsewhere? There comes a point when you have to ask yourself, if sticking around is really worth it. He obviously doesn't show a great degree of appreciation for what they have given him.

As for "sitting around" being an exhausting task, well, maybe if he didn't sit around so much he would have more energy, and finally give us something to write home about.

Morrissey deserves all the credit in the world for what he has
accomplished, but there is one thing he has not earned, and that
is any reason for people to feel sorry for him.

There is no case for sympathy.

Truly,
Johnny Marr

Re: "working class" musicians

> i think it's unfair to compare b&s to moz, don't you? a two year¿ old band may have a particularly industrious nature when it's¿ first blossoming, but consider them in sixteen-odd years.

In 16 years.....truthfully, they will either be together or Stu will be in another band. He could do a complete 180, but his personality seems to be group oriented, and I generally think he likes songwriting that much that his output will be just as much as now.

But what you are suggesting is monotony and lack of spice in what Moz is doing. Obviously, if he still found it that exciting, he would be doing much more.

People like Billy Bragg still have the same pace that they did when they were starting....and he got his start years before Moz did, but you can tell that when he's performing on stage he's happy to be there. He doesn't necessarily operate under the assumption that these people are going to show up out of loyalty or cut him any slack for being established. I grant that it's nice that people are willing to do that for him. He's had it luckier than 98% of artists from the beginning. True, some people piss on him, but all you have to do is open up the pages of Melody Maker and NME and see that most bands get pissed on in some way.¿ morrissey has had the ability to re-invent himself after the¿ smiths, which i think was a remarkable task within itself. the¿ vast majority of artists who emerge from bands like the smiths¿ and make a stab at a solo career often eddy into a desperate¿ pattern of clinging to what was in their glory days.

Yet, you are referring to 1989...and most of that stuff was Smith's like. I think Suedehead could have easily been anything that Johnny Marr would have written.¿ audience. i don't know the man, i have no idea who does his¿ laundry, but i don't think i'm ready to dismiss him as a lazy¿ gluttonous bastard.

OK, then. Tell me what he did last year.

He emerged to promote an album of re-releases by doing a couple of radio interviews before feeling pooped out and cancelling the last one. He briefly mentioned a tour before scrapping that idea. Then, he moaned about Mike Joyce a bit, and had Howie post a note on the reprise web site asking people not to buy "exit smiling" because he wouldn't get any money from it. Truly, that last bit was his only literary output from last year.

Also, as for him "working hard" on the sound of his records, tell me, which of these two statements sounds time consuming:

1. "I quite like this song, but could you move the middle 8 after the chorus here, and by the way, could you write something that sounds like The Who?"

2. "I don't like the opening to this song I've been writing this weekend. I've been playing with the guitar part for hours and couldn't get the feel I wanted until it dawned on me...."

I grant that since he can't play a guitar he's a bit hindered, but that just leaves him with that much more time to be writing lyrics for songs that come from 3 songwriters.

Re: Yes, that seems to be the problem.

> Yet, he instead seems to be more interested in pursuing the ever¿ elusive "martyr" role, and establishing himself as a¿ modern day Oscar Wilde.

Personally, I quite enjoy the "tortured artist" persona of Morrissey; why else do you think he has such passionate, loyal fans? Oh, cynical one, have you given up on the artistic side of life for a day job and good dental plan?¿ The old excuse of "the radio won't play my songs," is¿ becoming trite.

Well, it's true, isn't it? Even his "best" singles never got much airplay in the US, while frightully awful songs like "Tubthumper " are granted free range of our airwaves.¿ The radio was never overly affectionate to the Smiths, but they¿ still managed to tour extensively and promote themselves through¿ substance and vigor. Something the Mozzer has fell short in¿ accomplishing.

He was a drama queen long before he went solo, what with last-minute cancellations and halted performances (granted, the latter was usually when he'd get pelted in the head by some flying object, but still...) He still puts on a damn good show.¿ I find it sickening to see people treat this man like a bullied¿ five-year old, who is so sorrowfully misunderstood. Mozzer wants¿ to be misunderstood, so he won't be directly responsible for his¿ actions. He will smugly chalk it up to a persons lack of¿ insight.

Is this what his analyst tells him? And how are you privvy to this?¿ If there is an artist, who owes anything to his fans, then it is¿ Morrissey. Never before has such loyalty been given to a music¿ artist with so little given in return.

Friends, he has given us his music.¿ When you release an album like "Maladjusted," an album¿ that obviously displayed a high-degree of apathy, you should¿ expect for no one to care or go on about it.

Others will disagree with your charge that "Malajusted" was an "apathetic" achievement. To display a "high degree" of apathy would mean that you'd purposely not take any care in something . You can't tell me that an artist who respects music as much as Morrissey does would turn out any old crap - on purpose, no less.¿ Does anyone truly blame his band members, if they decide to go¿ elsewhere? There comes a point when you have to ask yourself, if¿ sticking around is really worth it. He obviously doesn't show a¿ great degree of appreciation for what they have given him.

The money's good; the co-writing royalties are better, and musicians like to play, so yeah, I'd think that sticking around would be worth it to them.¿ Morrissey deserves all the credit in the world for what he has¿ accomplished, but there is one thing he has not earned, and that¿ is any reason for people to feel sorry for him.¿ There is no case for sympathy.

I don't recall him singing, "don't cry for me, Argentina (or America, or England...);" he isn't seeking anyone's sympathy. He just lives his life.¿ Truly,¿ Johnny Marr

My, my, Johnny - has stagnation made a sage out of you? And what have YOU done lately, hmm?

"They can never taint you in my eyes."

Tortured Farcist

> Personally, I quite enjoy the "tortured artist"¿ persona of Morrissey; why else do you think he has such¿ passionate, loyal fans? Oh, cynical one, have you given up on¿ the artistic side of life for a day job and good dental plan?

No, but I would for a bullet and a burial plot.

P.S. There is no tortured artist persona. That died with The Smiths.¿ Well, it's true, isn't it? Even his "best" singles¿ never got much airplay in the US, while frightully awful songs¿ like "Tubthumper " are granted free range of our¿ airwaves.

Yes, but the point was The Smiths suffered the same treatment, but somehow managed to stay afloat without depending on the re-issue of a back catalog. They were prolific and passionate as opposed to prolific and apathetic. The latter, a dangerous combination.¿ He was a drama queen long before he went solo, what with¿ last-minute cancellations and halted performances (granted, the¿ latter was usually when he'd get pelted in the head by some¿ flying object, but still...) He still puts on a damn good show.

As long as someone doesn't hold up a sign he childishly objects to.¿ Is this what his analyst tells him? And how are you privvy to¿ this?

It's called insight and observation, and I've given you too much information already. Read my book.

"HOW TO ANALYZE THE MOTIVES OF POP STARS"

BY NO ONE¿ Friends, he has given us his music.

Not lately.¿ Others will disagree with your charge that¿ "Malajusted" was an "apathetic" achievement.¿ To display a "high degree" of apathy would mean that¿ you'd purposely not take any care in something .

Yes... I'm listening.¿You can't tell¿ me that an artist who respects music as much as Morrissey does¿ would turn out any old crap - on purpose, no less.

I don't know, I think anyone who would sit and listen to himself recite "Sorrow Will Come In The End" isn't paying very close attention.¿ The money's good; the co-writing royalties are better, and¿ musicians like to play, so yeah, I'd think that sticking around¿ would be worth it to them.

When otherwise there are other bands and music they could be playing in, on a consistent level? And they would probably get much more appreciation and comradery from the people they play with?

They will receive royalties from what they have produced so far. They don't need to stick around for that.¿ I don't recall him singing, "don't cry for me, Argentina¿ (or America, or England...);" he isn't seeking anyone's¿ sympathy. He just lives his life.

I didn't say he was seeking anyones attention. I said that all of this sympathetic twaddle that is thrown way is completely pathetic and unrelative. Is more of a snipe at particular people than it was to Morrissey himself. At this point, I am quite aware that he could care less how his fans feel about him as long as we buy his albums.

The romance ended long ago.¿ My, my, Johnny - has stagnation made a sage out of you? And what¿ have YOU done lately, hmm?

Absolutely, positvely, unbelievably, quintessentially, practically, virtually, almost, very little of anything.

What does that have to do with this discusion?

Oh, I see!

Well, then, I will become a pop star and upstage Morrissey so as to prove you wrong and make my opinions valid.¿ "They can never taint you in my eyes."

What about your ears?

Nose?

The bend of your knee?

Re: Yes, that seems to be the problem.

> Personally, I quite enjoy the "tortured artist"¿ persona of Morrissey; why else do you think he has such¿ passionate, loyal fans? Oh, cynical one, have you given up on¿ the artistic side of life for a day job and good dental plan?

Yes, indeed. The morning you announce your artistic career, you're supposed to stand on the front door of your house and say "here I am, world! show me the money!" and a big money train pulls up and the conductors get their shovels and start shoveling it out of the boxcar onto your feet while the passengers all get out and begin to clap and cheer you on and shout "Thank you! You have saved our lives!" Your band mates (people who always show up for rehearsal sober and know their parts) get out of the caboose and say "gee! You've got the greatest ideas in the world. When do we cut an album?"¿ Well, it's true, isn't it? Even his "best" singles¿ never got much airplay in the US, while frightully awful songs¿ like "Tubthumper " are granted free range of our¿ airwaves.

Tubthumping was geared towards the masses, and made a good song to play in Superbowl commercials. If he was that popular, you'd be complaining that he'd sold out.¿ He was a drama queen long before he went solo, what with¿ last-minute cancellations and halted performances (granted, the¿ latter was usually when he'd get pelted in the head by some¿ flying object, but still...) He still puts on a damn good show.

True he does. But you can't deny that the Smiths were always releasing something.¿ The money's good; the co-writing royalties are better, and¿ musicians like to play, so yeah, I'd think that sticking around¿ would be worth it to them.

I'm tired of money being the justification for everything in life. I'm tired of people complaining they have no money, they should be happy because they have money, people are bad because they have too much money and won't share, people are bad because they have too little money and have to steal, people should stay with miserable jobs because it pays good money. Too much money makes you cold and callous. Too little money, you are poor but happy. Then there's Pretty In Pink. I'm tired of poor people turning down dates with rich people because they are embarassed they have too little money and their China ware consists of Wal-mart plastic plates. I'm tired of people telling me how I should feel because of money.

Love leads the way

> I'd like to read this, is it on the net?
Ya its on the net on a website called Frank Magazine.

I love moz and its wrong to put him down or analyze him. No one really knows what the heck his doing. I just hope he does put something out, something great. (maladadjusted was good)He's no that old so he can't be to tired. Please come back my love.
Where ever you are I hope your singing now.
Hopelessly devoted to MOZ

1picsframe.html

Back
Top Bottom