Poor YATQ review in Q Magazine.

S

Small Paul

2 stars only, didn't buy it, nothing particularly interesting. Much less space than The Streets (5 stars)

This is disasterous news.

For a lot of sad people, Q reviews are gospel.

Frankly, from the Quarry clips I've heard, I cannot comprehend how they give YATQ less than Southpaw Grammar (which got 4 stars).

> 2 stars only, didn't buy it, nothing particularly interesting. Much less
> space than The Streets (5 stars)

I wonder who did the review ?

Q have been strong supporters of Morrissey over the years.

> ive got the new streets album - its complete garbage!!!

err that guy out of the streets is supposed to be from Birmingham, so why is he being a pretend cockney. I heard their new single on the radio the other day - it's nothing more than childish nonesense.

Still a bad review in Q mag is bad news however you look at it. I wonder what they had such a big problem with ?

Re: Could it be because they don't have an "Exclusive"?

Seems like it could be a case of sour grapes because he's courting the NME and the newspapers. What does teh review say actually?

> I wonder who did the review ?

> Q have been strong supporters of Morrissey over the years.

It could be. I wonder who penned the review. I'm trying to ignore this, but it has already almost ruined the rest of my day.

> It could be. I wonder who penned the review. I'm trying to ignore this,
> but it has already almost ruined the rest of my day.

If we put it in context though it's one bad review against about a dozen good ones.

There are good reviews and bad reviews but two stars is nonsense.

Even utter drivel gets two stars and we all know from what we've heard so far that it's not utter drivel.

I know but it looks like a very bad review, and Q is the main music monthly in UK at the moment. I mean, two stars mean "don't waste your money on this crap" doesn't it?
If I were home I would hug my kitten but I'm at work and I can't hug the telephone.

I'm feeling your pain. Three stars in The Observer was enough to make me go back to bed on Sunday morning, but as it turned out the reviewer was mostly complaining that Morrissey was being too much like Morrissey, and doing it too noisily. Hardly damning criticism. Or useful criticism.

I just want to know if the melodies are up to scratch and if he's giving the lyrics full value. I imagine two stars could only be the result of Moz's personality and musical style grating on the reviewer.

Re: So Much for a "Cash For Questions" Session!

And I was hoping Morrissey would have a chance to show his rapier wit skewering the dunder-headed questions the artists are asked!

I would assume, then, that this wasn't the "feature" review at the front of the section? How strange. Perhaps the honor went to Mojo, since they are both published by the same company.

Cheers,

Jamie

I can't believe it.
Q is not what is once was and I'd noticed that these days you can usually pretty much predict what rating Q will give an album from pre-release hype/negativity (much more so than other music mags).
So I was predicting FOUR stars from Q...

This is hugely disappointing.

I prefer Uncut these days anyway (much more intelligent) so hopefully Simon Goddard will give it a good review when it is out on May 6th.

It will also be very interesting to read NME's review next week...

Re: So Much for a "Cash For Questions" Session!

Also strange (/silly) considering there will be a Q/Mojo special edition on The Smiths + Morrissey out next month apparently.

You would have thought they would've wanted to drum up positive feelings re:Moz.

> I can't believe it.
> Q is not what is once was and I'd noticed that these days you can usually
> pretty much predict what rating Q will give an album from pre-release
> hype/negativity (much more so than other music mags).
> So I was predicting FOUR stars from Q...

> This is hugely disappointing.

> I prefer Uncut these days anyway (much more intelligent) so hopefully
> Simon Goddard will give it a good review when it is out on May 6th.

> It will also be very interesting to read NME's review next week...

I think it's important he gets a good NME reeview next week to get some monentum behind the album release.

I also think the T.V slots on Jonathan Ross and Jools Holland will be inportant.

...or maybe they genuinely didn't like it

> Also strange (/silly) considering there will be a Q/Mojo special edition
> on The Smiths + Morrissey out next month apparently.

> You would have thought they would've wanted to drum up positive feelings
> re:Moz.

Strange that people are basically assuming every other possibility than this. Sometimes, writers don't mark things down due to any kind of agenda, you know.

Re: ...or maybe they genuinely didn't like it

But, I knew someone who worked for Empire film magazine (same company as Q) and they said that although the rating of a record/film/whatever is attributed to the reviewer, it is first passed round the rest of the office for their opinion and any review which differs wildly from the general consensus would not be passed without slight alteration.

In other words, if the reviewer thought a particular album was 'crap' but the rest of the gang thought it was 'brilliant', then the 'crap' review would not get printed.
What probably would get printed would be a review which plays safe.

This is a bit worrying for YATQ getting 2 stars.

Not really. I just feel like I always feel when my fave footy team loses.

So, they don't like the lyrics.

Thank God for that.

Back
Top Bottom