An ignorant American wants to know

J

Jessesamuel

Why does Moz want people to spit on the name of Oliver Cromwell? Wasn't he anti-royalist? Isn't Moz anti-monarchy too? Please enlighten me.

> Why does Moz want people to spit on the name of Oliver Cromwell? Wasn't he
> anti-royalist? Isn't Moz anti-monarchy too? Please enlighten me.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do know that he was responsble for murdering a lot of Irish.

It's easy to find information on him online, if you're not as lazy as I am right now.

Oliver Cromwell was a "king-killer," however, he was practically a king himself. The thing was, the English by and large were not against the idea of kings. They just didn't approve, for the most part, of Charles's tolerance of Catholics and some of his other policies. It was one of those, "We don't hate the king. We just hate his evil advisors" things" as well. Cromwell, however, was very anti-Catholic and was responsible for the slaughter of Catholics in Ireland. His reign resembled a dictatorship as well as a hereditary monarchy (his son succeeded him). In other words, he didn't really stand for the ideals for which he is often credited with representing.

> Oliver Cromwell was a "king-killer," however, he was practically
> a king himself.

Yeah, didn't he like reject being king but then, as "Lord Protector", gave himself even more power than a king? Or something like that!

>The thing was, the English by and large were not against
> the idea of kings. They just didn't approve, for the most part, of
> Charles's tolerance of Catholics and some of his other policies. It was
> one of those, "We don't hate the king. We just hate his evil
> advisors" things" as well. Cromwell, however, was very
> anti-Catholic and was responsible for the slaughter of Catholics in
> Ireland. His reign resembled a dictatorship as well as a hereditary
> monarchy (his son succeeded him). In other words, he didn't really stand
> for the ideals for which he is often credited with representing.

He's like one of the most hated people in Ireland. Like Hitler is to Jews.
He was like the Taliban. He even tried to ban Christmas!

> Yeah, didn't he like reject being king but then, as "Lord
> Protector", gave himself even more power than a king? Or something
> like that!

Yep.

> He's like one of the most hated people in Ireland. Like Hitler is to Jews.
> He was like the Taliban. He even tried to ban Christmas!

You have to be a sick, joyless mothereffer if you try to ban the only good thing Christianity ever gave the world.

You may be hard on the eyes, but you do have a beautiful mind.

You're right.. I perceive this as an anti authority stance. Anti Monarchist to the extreme. Cromwell was part of a revolutionary movement.. ahh, but we've debated this long and hard before (see many posts on this about a month ago).. So, I can't be bothered to go on about it all again. However, I would encourage you to look at the BIGGER picture of the political, racial, and religious demographic 1600 England Scotland and Ireland, and not just the persecution of catholics by which many people here seem to judge him (that's far to simplistic).. Whatever your belief's, content yourself that he was a massively influential figure (voted #10 in influential Britain poll), flawed indeed, but brought democarcy to this country (and the USA ultimately) by the scruff of the neck..

And was he indeed guilty of regicide?? hmm, now that's a good one (which would support the 'Queen is Dead') I would dearly love Morrissey to explain his position. Absolutely brilliant to incorporate him in a lyric though. Marvellous stuff.

Well worth reading up on him to appreciate his role in the English civil war as well if you like your UK history from 400 years ago!

Ruffian

PS, We discussed the Taliban comment here in the debating circle, and that is interesting in that there is some substance in that interpretation in that the puritan's of that time rejected the oppulence, and arguably immoral wealth of the churches and 'showiness' of religion when they considered it to be a modest retreat of simple existence. (re-imagine the pilgrim fathers in their simple black and white garb)

Back
Top Bottom