does morrissey's love for 'romper stomper' reaffirm his racism?

• Thread starter Eazy E - The rap equivalent of morrissey!?!?
  • Start date
E

Eazy E - The rap equivalent of morrissey!?!?

the film is rather impressive, but surely his interest in it merely pushes home the point that he is racist. i also think his excuses for previous songs on the matter of racism were poor. he is obviously not anti-racist whatever he may say. a passion for skinhead culture is hardly prevalent in the majority of those against racism.

> the film is rather impressive, but surely his interest in it¿ merely pushes home the point that he is racist.

I HAVE ALWAYS SEEN THE FILM AS ANTI RACIST ESPECIALLY
AS REGARDS THE FINAL SCENE WHEN THE LEADER OF THE
GANG LOSES HIS GIRL TO THE GUY WHO HAS TURNED HIS
BACK ON RACISM AND DIES FIGHTING HIM.

i also think his excuses for previous songs on the matter of racism were poor. he
is obviously not anti-racist whatever he may say.

LETS SAY ITS NOT A SUBJECT THAT HES TOTALY UP TO SPEED
ON. I SUSPECT HIS COSY VIEW OF 50S ENGLAND DOESNT
HAVE MUCH IN COMMON WITH THE IMMIGRANT EXPERIENCE.

a passion for skinhead culture is hardly prevalent in the majority of those
against racism.

IRONICALLY ALL THE SKINHEAD GEAR WAS WORN BY GAYS LONGBEFORE THE FASCISTS MISAPPROPRIATED IT.

> the film is rather impressive, but surely his interest in it¿ merely pushes home the point that he is racist.

You think so? I always got the impression that the "bizarre love triangle" (d'oh!) between Hando, Davey and Gabe was what intrigued Morrissey the most. In fact (and I'd mentioned this before in another thread) the video for "Sunny" seems to parallel the relationship between the three.¿ i also think his¿ excuses for previous songs on the matter of racism were poor. he¿ is obviously not anti-racist whatever he may say. a passion for¿ skinhead culture is hardly prevalent in the majority of those¿ against racism.

Fascination with the whole skinhead subculture doesn't necessarily make one a racist. When I was a teenager, I had a fascination w/ serial killers (I'm normal, honest!) but I didn't agree w/ their actions or anything like that - I was merely fascinated with them, from a psychological point of view.

He may be a bit of a xenophobe - who knows? But this "Morrissey is a racist" theory simply fails to hold water.

Re: Oh the racist thing again? Bah!!

I think you're trying to romp stomp the board by bringing up the racist issue again. Moz has alluded to his fascination with "ordinary boys", on how he believes they don't have to choose, how they can just be "natural". His fixation on skinheads (in the past or present, we couldn't know) stems from this very interesting "ordinary boy" fascination (as an artist, sometimes I too wish I could lose all my intellectual wonderings, gain twenty pounds, join a gang and romp around the neighborhood).¿ the film is rather impressive, but surely his interest in it¿ merely pushes home the point that he is racist. i also think his¿ excuses for previous songs on the matter of racism were poor. he¿ is obviously not anti-racist whatever he may say. a passion for¿ skinhead culture is hardly prevalent in the majority of those¿ against racism.

Losing In Front Of Your Home Crowd

Racist? Does it matter?

I don't think he's racist. Fascist, perhaps, but not racist. He pines for a simpler time, a time before many contemporary things including immigration. I don't think liking Romper Stomper makes one racist. Even if he was, why does everyone care so much? The politics of my idols doesn't interest me.

Re:The, 'Intoducing Morrissey' says it all!!

> I don't think he's racist. Fascist, perhaps, but not racist. He¿ pines for a simpler time, a time before many contemporary things¿ including immigration. I don't think liking Romper Stomper makes¿ one racist. Even if he was, why does everyone care so much? The¿ politics of my idols doesn't interest me.
The Skinhead at the beginning, Morrissey TOTALLY uninthusiastic about the oriental fan rushing him during, 'WDUFOFY', and that ERRIE ending with all those white kids and thier, 'BECAUSE WE MUST!' signs...come on folks, this vidio CLEARY proves Morrisseys a bigot and a sad old bitch

Re:The, 'Intoducing Morrissey' says it all!!

Yeah, but at the LA show he said that he wished that he was born mexican! hehehehe!!!

> the film is rather impressive, but surely his interest in it¿ merely pushes home the point that he is racist. i also think his¿ excuses for previous songs on the matter of racism were poor. he¿ is obviously not anti-racist whatever he may say. a passion for¿ skinhead culture is hardly prevalent in the majority of those¿ against racism.

I wonder if the whole skinhead fascination wasn't as much with their ideals as it was with Jake himself. After all, he does the whole Boxers shtick and guess what Jake was?

You guessed it.

A window cleaner.

My planet. Now, go home.

This reaffirms that you're paranoid.

> the film is rather impressive, but surely his interest in it¿ merely pushes home the point that he is racist. i also think his¿ excuses for previous songs on the matter of racism were poor. he¿ is obviously not anti-racist whatever he may say. a passion for¿ skinhead culture is hardly prevalent in the majority of those¿ against racism.

Hmmmmm. You watched the movie, you liked it. What does that make you? Who are you, Al Sharpton? Every little thing that Morrissey does, especially if he watches movies about skinheads makes him a racist? Stipulations, stipulations. Also, not all skinheads are racists. But, you've already made it up in your tiny mind that Morrissey is a racist, even though you have no proof, you don't know him personally, and you base your theory on assumptions. Hell! God forbid if Moz hates reggae! That must mean he's in the klan! Who knew? I guess there's no such thing as despising certain types of music or watching a movie about one type of skinhead culture because he's a hatemonger anyway! Well, you've got the attention you wanted, have fun!

re: 'romper stomper', racism, etc.

I don't know whether Morrissey is racist or not, nor do I think it really matters. However, as far as that issue itself is concerned, I think whether or not he liked the film is about as significant as whether he prefers chocolate icecream or vanilla.

I am sincerely not trying to be smug, but I think that your statement raises an interesting point about fans grasping at and elaborating on any little fact about an icon documented by the music media.

Love,

Chased

PS: I admittedly would never have even heard of Elizabeth Smart if it weren't for Morrissey.

Racism Matters

For all my love of Morrisey, if i discovered he was a racist i would renounce him - i could never love a man with such hate filled beliefs.

But where is the evidence of racism?

A love of skinhead culture? But remember the fact that skinheads took their fashion and musuc ideals from Jamaican culture. There are many anti racist skinheads. Jsut because fascist morons have taken skinhead clothes as their uniforms doesnt alter the fact that their very style has black roots.
During the peak of Morrisseys skinhead fascination, around 91/92, Morrissey was friendly with Mensi, singer in the skinhead band " The Angelic Upstarts". Mensi is also a leading light in " Anti Facist Action", who beelive in violent action against racists.
Rather strange company for a racist to think wouldnt you agree?

Asian Rut? That song to me is so blatantly annti racist. I fail to understand how anyone can interpret the song otherwise.

National Front Disco? Read the lyrics, closely. Please.

The comment about Morrisseys lack of enthusiam when the oriental girl kissed him in Introducing Morrissey is laughable. I know a number of Oriental fans who have met Moz, and he's never been anything but charming to them.

Other small pieces of evidence showing Morrisseys lack of fondness for racism. Look at the back sleeve to hold Onto Your Friends - thats a black hand.

Anyway i apologise for this rant being so badly constructed. It is 7 am and I'm a little exasperated that this old tied subject has come up again.

Bollocks to the BNP, Viva Morrissey

Re: re: 'romper stomper', racism, etc.

> I don't know whether Morrissey is racist or not, nor do I think¿ it really matters.

How can you not care if he is racist or not?

The real crime is being committed by YOU

I just want you to know that I find it outrageous that people keep tagging Morrissey as a "racist," and I will not stand for it any longer. It is evil to tag someone with that label. How would you feel if people went around telling others you were a racist? Whether it's true or not, it will follow you around forever. If people don't have sound evidence to back up their charges, they are EVIL for making the accusations about people they don't know. I'm so sick of people labelling others "racist" left and right based on pure speculation. It's fascist, it happens way too often these days, and it it can ruin a person's life. Every time someone prints that Morrissey is a racist, they are potentially doing serious damage to Morrissey's career and reputation. I'm not responding to any of this stuff anymore after this, unless I see real evidence. From now on I'll just note that the accusors are total bastards and ought to go F themselves. It's not a light matter at all to go around accusing people of stuff like that, and posting stuff on the Internet is like publishing in a magazine. If you can't back up your charges with real proof, you are guilty of slander, man. Your "evidence" is that he liked a critically acclaimed movie. That does not hold up in court. Get lost.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN MORRISSEY IS RACIST?!?! RAP IS F@$KING RACIST!!!!

I never heard Moz ever say the 'N word' or 'whitey'. I've heard NWA say it a grip of times.

'Alma Matters video' says it all!!

> Yeah, but at the LA show he said that he wished that he was born¿ mexican! hehehehe!!!

yeah, and he treated very bad the skinhead girl in the alma matters video. and he wore a beck t-shirt, a great lover of black music (and lover of brazilian music too!)

Re: Let's Break This Down . . .

The so-called evidence of Morrissey's racism -

1. "Panic" - Totally absurd. Writing an anti-dance music song does not make one racist because a)dance music is not black music, and b)disliking black MUSIC does not mean that one believes black PEOPLE to be inferior.

2. "Bengali in Platforms" - A stronger case, but still bogus. What raised eyebrows was the "when you belong here" line, but the song is actually about the difficulties of assimilation and the absurdity of pretending to be something your not.

3. "Asian Rut" - After the "Bengali" controversy, Moz feels the need for a "make-up call" and he writes a song with an Asian hero and English villains. Yet he still gets ripped for the song. "Oh, English boys, it must be wrong, three against one . . . Brave Asian boy . . ." How much clearer can it be?

4. Finsbury Park - Moz is a fascist because he uses the Union Jack? If that's the case, then so are a host of left-wing artists, notably Paul Weller and Sonya from Echobelly (yum).

5. Skinhead imagery - For all the retards out there who still don't know, here's a surprise - skinheads come in all political persuasions. My experience tells me the majority are left-wing and anti-racist. Beyond that, the skinhead imagery represented a break from Moz' traditionally contemplative mode and a passage into his new, more physical style. It's not a coincidence that skinheads make their first appearance in the video for "Our Frank."

6. BNP comments - Censorship is wrong and undemocratic. Morrissey did the right thing by defending the rights of the BNP to the same freedoms as any other group. There is a big difference between defending someone's rights and agreeing with that person. Anyone who doubts this would have to declare the ACLU a Nazi organization (Skokie, Illinois) or Noam Chomsky an anti-Semite (the Faurisson affair).

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Keepin' it real!

> I never heard Moz ever say the 'N word' or 'whitey'. I've heard¿ NWA say it a grip of times.

But you see Mani, since NWA are black, they can never be racist! God forbid! But everyone else, you're keeping the black man down and you're all racists anyway, no matter what you say! Mani, it's the contradiction of people that just makes this issue so frustrating. It's like nobody else in this country have ever been in any situation that involves race. This country is purely focused on blacks and whites. Everyone else, you're all immigrants! Greatest country in the world? Far from it.

Absolutely, and his interest in Myra Hindley and Ian Brady makes him a paedophile.

It would matter to me if Morrissey was racist, I don't think he is.

He's in love with early 20th century England, an England before mass immigration. being white and English, he's never experienced racism first-hand - he's never felt it. so removed from the pain of the situation, what he writes might well unintentionally come across as insensitive or flippant. in 'Bengali In Platforms', he probably would have said "Life is hard enough when you're not originally from here" if it had scanned well enough...

When the parents of the Moors Murders victims first heard about 'Suffer Little Children', they were appalled and disgusted, weren't they? Once Morrissey talked to them though they understood that he did not support Hindley's and Brady's actions. There's a big difference between exploring a culture and supporting it. Morrissey explores.

By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept

> PS: I admittedly would never have even heard of Elizabeth Smart¿ if it weren't for Morrissey.

Me neither. "By Grand Central Station..." is wonderful. And by a Canadian.

Back
Top Bottom