El Vez... where is the Mexican Morrissey?

A

Angelina

I went to see El Vez last night in NYC and was impressed by the great Mexican Elvis. Although the show was entertaining, at the same time I felt depressed because there isn't a Mexican Morrissey. Surely every great star deserves a Mexican couterpart and Morrissey is no exception.

I am of Mexican origin and am greatly disappointed in my people's lack of ambition to bring forth a Mexican Morrissey! Morrissey was calling out to us when he sang "To be Mexican would be a relief" at the Coachella show. Clearly Morrissey's soul is crying out for a Mexican counterpart.

> I went to see El Vez last night in NYC and was impressed by the
> great Mexican Elvis. Although the show was entertaining, at the
> same time I felt depressed because there isn't a Mexican
> Morrissey. Surely every great star deserves a Mexican couterpart
> and Morrissey is no exception.

> I am of Mexican origin and am greatly disappointed in my
> people's lack of ambition to bring forth a Mexican Morrissey.
> Morrissey was calling out to us when he sang "To be Mexican
> would be a relief" at the Coachella show! Clearly
> Morrissey's soul is crying out for a Mexican counterpart!

That would be hard to find. Maybe that's why there's not one.

Re: El Vez... where is the Mexican Morrissey?--I know!!!

> That would be hard to find. Maybe that's why there's not one.

I know who the Mexican Morrissey is. And he's an absolutely lovely person and so wonderfully kind. Very, very rare these days...

> I went to see El Vez last night in NYC and was impressed by the
> great Mexican Elvis. Although the show was entertaining, at the
> same time I felt depressed because there isn't a Mexican
> Morrissey. Surely every great star deserves a Mexican couterpart
> and Morrissey is no exception.

> people's lack of ambition to bring forth a Mexican Morrissey!
> Morrissey was calling out to us when he sang "To be Mexican
> would be a relief" at the Coachella show. Clearly
> Morrissey's soul is crying out for a Mexican counterpart.

I always think of Jose as the mexican Morrissey. Have you ever seen The Sweet & Tender Hooligans?

> people's lack of ambition to bring forth a Mexican Morrissey!

Why would you even WANT that? Isn't "our" Morrissey enough?

Angelina,

It's funny you should mention that. There is a new band called "Strangeways" that is coming out soon. The singers main influence is Morrissey and his singing clearly reflects that. Morrissey is his biggest influence. He is mexican and he's often referred to as "the mexican Morrissey. Their music is incredible! The lead singer only goes by "Soto". Their website is up for anybody to look at, but it's still under construction. The link is below.

If you all like Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Radiohead, U2, etc. you will definitely like them. Their music will be available soon. Thanks!

strangeways

It's a cultural fad

No offense, but this fascination Morrissey has with Mexico is a temporary kind of thing. He had the same kind of fascination with petty criminals of Northern England and it influenced his music and style as well. He'll tire of it and move on...and so will you.

Re: It's a cultural fad

> No offense, but this fascination Morrissey has with Mexico is a
> temporary kind of thing. He had the same kind of fascination
> with petty criminals of Northern England and it influenced his
> music and style as well. He'll tire of it and move on...and so
> will you.

here we go again with the ignorant bull...it was a simple question!! how can you compare a country to "petty criminals of northern england"? oh puleeze.

> here we go again with the ignorant bull...it was a simple
> question!! how can you compare a country to "petty
> criminals of northern england"? oh puleeze.
Yes, How Soon Is Now, it's only a fad, don't worry we wouldn't want to take away any attention towards everyone else. Thanks for the ignorant comment!

> Yes, How Soon Is Now, it's only a fad, don't worry we wouldn't
> want to take away any attention towards everyone else. Thanks
> for the ignorant comment!

Whenever someone makes a comment that has to do with ANY ethnic group or its country, it's immediately labeled "ignorant." I happen to agree with How Soon Is Now, and I'm very confident with the opinion that I'm not a racist person.

Morrissey has always been through phases of fascination with people, places, things and concepts. Mexico would fall into the "places" category, and "Mexican culture" would probably fall into "things" or "concepts" (whatever). What is wrong with that??? How Soon Is Now said nothing racist in any way, shape or form (unless you figure that even mentioning a country's name is racist, in which case, I guess I'm next on the cross).

I anxiously await your holier-than-though castigating of my post.

> Whenever someone makes a comment that has to do with ANY ethnic
> group or its country, it's immediately labeled
> "ignorant." I happen to agree with How Soon Is Now,
> and I'm very confident with the opinion that I'm not a racist
> person.

> Morrissey has always been through phases of fascination with
> people, places, things and concepts. Mexico would fall into the
> "places" category, and "Mexican culture"
> would probably fall into "things" or

> "concepts" (whatever). What is wrong with that???
> Soon Is Now said nothing racist in any way, shape or form
> (unless you figure that even mentioning a country's name is
> racist, in which case, I guess I'm next on the cross).

> I anxiously await your holier-than-though castigating of my
> post.
Well i never actually mentioned the word racist. I think it is rather hypocritical for people in general to say they are not racist. We all discriminate, stereotype, etc. It's a natural thing. I only made a comment that how soon is now was ignorant to make the comment, "He'll tire of it and move on...and so will you." Just exactly where are we going? Is it wrong for our "culture" to enjoy comments made by Morrissey, for whom we admire dearly.

I never intended to start anything, i'd rather waste my time doing other productive things, perhaps i should just "move on".

Sure you could say everybody's racist on the basis of the fact that nearly everyone makes cultural/racial discriminations, but then you would be destroying the meaning of the word. The logical conclusion of this is that everyone's black, everyone's white, everyone's Mexican, everyone's a woman, etc..

ra·cism (rszm)
n.

The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Enough idle chatter! Morrissey is crying out for his Mexican twin. We must bring forth a Mexican Morrissey at once or we are doing Moz a great injustice. Morrissey is not just experiencing a brief fascination with Mexican culture, rather he is suffering and demanding that we bring forth his Mexican couterpart.

I feel strongly that if we do not do this right away, this tour will be his last.

> Well i never actually mentioned the word racist.

You're very right, and I may have jumped to conclusions, there (usually, any time ethnicity is discussed around here, there's always someone who shouts racism, and by your response, I assumed you were calling HSiN "ignorant," based on his/her comments on Mexico. I apologize for this.

> I think it is
> rather hypocritical for people in general to say they are not
> racist. We all discriminate, stereotype, etc. It's a natural
> thing.

Read ecce's post for the definition of racism. I still contend that I do NOT discriminate on the basis or race.

Re: Mexican Morrissey==Vicente Fernandez Yeah!!

They have the same sideburns, and soon Morrissey will be as old as Vicente and EVEN MAYBE he will retire in Guadalajara, since everyone claims that he has some "fascination" with Mexico. Don't kid yourself, the "fascination" will be short-lived.
>
Estoy tan enamorada con mi negra tomasa

El Peligrosisimo--JA!

Enough idle chatter! Morrissey is crying out for his Mexican
> twin. We must bring forth a Mexican Morrissey at once or we are
> doing Moz a great injustice. Morrissey is not just experiencing
> a brief fascination with Mexican culture, rather he is suffering
> and demanding that we bring forth his Mexican couterpart.

> I feel strongly that if we do not do this right away, this tour
> will be his last.

> You're very right, and I may have jumped to conclusions, there
> (usually, any time ethnicity is discussed around here, there's
> always someone who shouts racism, and by your response, I
> assumed you were calling HSiN "ignorant," based on
> his/her comments on Mexico. I apologize for this.

> Read ecce's post for the definition of racism. I still contend
> that I do NOT discriminate on the basis or race.
I read ecce's post and it certainly helps. I understand I may have jumped the gun and sounded ignorant myself, I apologize. As for How Soon is Now, I apologize as well. It bother's me resorting to name calling, it seems low of me but sometimes I can't help it.

Re: Mexican Morrissey==Vicente Fernandez Yeah!!

Please don't say Morrissey is like Vicente Fernandez. I grew up hearing my dad play his music and I don't see the similarities.

> They have the same sideburns, and soon Morrissey will be as old
> as Vicente and EVEN MAYBE he will retire in Guadalajara, since
> everyone claims that he has some "fascination" with
> Mexico. Don't kid yourself, the "fascination" will be
> short-lived.
> Estoy tan enamorada con mi negra tomasa

> El Peligrosisimo--JA!

> Enough idle chatter! Morrissey is crying out for his Mexican

Back
Top Bottom