for the American Idol fans...and non-fans

S

suzanne

i was looking on the show's website in the discussion room and found a transcript from a radio interview with Matt Rogers, the football guy who was voted off a couple of weeks ago.

basically, he admitted that the show's producers helped nudge certain people along and the show was rigged.

he said that they assigned numbers to the contestants based on look, etc and what they perceived as that contestant's ability to draw ratings, and based upon that, they help some people leave the show earlier than others.

now, it's not enough that people phone in and vote because they still seem to believe that the public doesn't know what it wants. not like they'd exactly get rid of the highest vote getter either because what would they do without that greasey John Peter Lewis guy? they just kinda weigh the votes a little bit more heavily for some people than others...

however, now you know how some people who are always in the "bottom 3" but keep being spared for several weeks at a time are surviving.

Not That I Watch It Or Anything...

> he said that they assigned numbers to the contestants based on look, etc
> and what they perceived as that contestant's ability to draw ratings, and
> based upon that, they help some people leave the show earlier than others.

> they just kinda weigh the
> votes a little bit more heavily for some people than others...

But wait, I don't get it...

If this alleged rating system is in effect, how was this contestant privvy to it? You would think it'd be completely under wraps.

Also, is this guy implying that, if you get a "decent" amount of votes, but fall short of making it to the next round, the producers can just snap a finger and put you in?

I don't consider myself naive about this kind of stuff, but you'd think that a huge show like that would not need to resort to rigging...but then, it IS a ratings-driven show.

Re: Not That I Watch It Or Anything...

> But wait, I don't get it...

> If this alleged rating system is in effect, how was this contestant privvy
> to it? You would think it'd be completely under wraps.

it's just like how lyrics to morrissey's newest stuff got leaked. people talk and i'm sure there are many production assistants that would know.

> Also, is this guy implying that, if you get a "decent" amount of
> votes, but fall short of making it to the next round, the producers can
> just snap a finger and put you in?

yeah, and it makes sense if you think about it. some people were obviously allowed to go on because they had a personal story that the show thought would increase drama. some were obviously really good looking but were otherwise a complete embarassment. obviously, that is the work of an invisible hand that doesn't make itself directly known to the cameras.

> I don't consider myself naive about this kind of stuff, but you'd think
> that a huge show like that would not need to resort to rigging...but then,
> it IS a ratings-driven show.

and think of who produces it. the same people that brought you the spice girls. literally.