The Smiths, overated bands, record collector mag

• Thread starter 'Radar' O'Reilly
  • Start date
R

'Radar' O'Reilly

In the latest edition of the ever essential Record collector mag, they have a section on the most overated artists/bands. Naturally in order to cause some fuss and get the poison pen letters mailed they have gone for the likes of The Smiths, The Clash, Beach Boys, and Van Morrison, rather than the obvious Oasis, Stone Roses, Manics, and U2, which wouldn't cause nearly as much fuss.

The comment on The Smiths, is the tired old, 'music to commit suicide to'.

Anyone biting ?

Still at least they have got The Fall and The Byrds in there so it ain't all bad.

Wtf does record collector kmnow about good music anyways???? does anyone even read their rubbish anyways??? they know about as much about good music as the people in the industry today. Thats why we're stuck with the garbage thats out now. And they call the smiths overrated???? how about all this shitty rap they're playing on mtv and cramming down our throats????

> In the latest edition of the ever essential Record collector mag, they
> have a section on the most overated artists/bands. Naturally in order to
> cause some fuss and get the poison pen letters mailed they have gone for
> the likes of The Smiths, The Clash, Beach Boys, and Van Morrison, rather
> than the obvious Oasis, Stone Roses, Manics, and U2, which wouldn't cause
> nearly as much fuss.

> The comment on The Smiths, is the tired old, 'music to commit suicide to'.

> Anyone biting ?

> Still at least they have got The Fall and The Byrds in there so it ain't
> all bad.

I like a lot of the articles in Record Collector but to a man practically everyone that works there is in their early 50's and only ever listen to Bob Dylan and Jethro Tull.

I kid you not.

> I like a lot of the articles in Record Collector but to a man practically
> everyone that works there is in their early 50's and only ever listen to
> Bob Dylan and Jethro Tull.

> I kid you not.

I've never heard of this Record Collector thing. Looks like I'm not missing much.

> I've never heard of this Record Collector thing. Looks like I'm not
> missing much.

They have done a couple of really good Morrissey and Smiths articles over the years.

I'm surprised it's survived to be honest especially with the arrival of the internet.

A lot of the magazine is taken up with people writing in with lists of records they are selling and inviting "bids" and "offers".

A paper version of Ebay if you like.I did buy a vinyl copy of a "Paperdolls" album once which I gave to Boz Boorer as a gift at a Record Fair. I knew that Morrissey was a fan of the band(who were terrible for what it is worth).

Boz loved the gift and told me that he once had the original album himself but that Morrissey had "borrowed" it and never returned it.

This was around the time of the Moz/Marr/Joyce courtcase which was being covered in the British press at the time.

I asked Boz if was he in touch with Morrissey and he said that in the proceeding 12 months all he had from Morrissey was 1 postcard sent from Mexico and a present sent to one of the Boorer girls for a birthday.

Back
Top Bottom