who'd you need to know??

M

Maf

I have always been struck by the Morrissey lyric "and when you want to live how'd you start, where'd you go, who do you need to know??" from the TBWTTIHS, as sadly i can relate to it rather too well.
Does anyone have any answers to this question?

I think it's unfortunate that you barely want to start "living" this late in the ballgame. Well here's a refresher course for those who want to live.

How do you start?
- Get your lazy ass out of bed. Stop the sulking and toss your doom and gloom albums in the fire. Buy some Beatles, Kula Shaker, Polyphonic Spree.

Where do you go?
- If male, massage parlor.
- If female, IKEA.

Who do you need to know?
- Men and women of affluence. Studies have confirmed that there is a correlation between knowing wealthy people and living.

Hope this helps.

These may very well be my favorite lines from Morrissey as a Smith. And these lines come to me very often. I am now 30. I can't offer much guidance, except to say that finding out what you want to do in life, in all aspects of life, education, career, family, marriage, relationships, spirituality, religion, values, morals, politics, etc., is not easy. You have go looking & do a bit of investigation and research. You have to do some work. Some of these things just come to you and sort themselves out, as time (like a wave that makes a rough rock eventually smooth) carves out the person you become. It is only when you know what you want or have some notion of it, that you can then realize it. And this is not easy either...but at least when you have drive, ambition, zeal, and goals/hopes/dreams to focus those energies on, you are not shooting in the dark.

> I have always been struck by the Morrissey lyric "and when you want
> to live how'd you start, where'd you go, who do you need to know??"
> from the TBWTTIHS, as sadly i can relate to it rather too well.
> Does anyone have any answers to this question?

> How do you start?
> - Get your lazy ass out of bed. Stop the sulking and toss your doom and
> gloom albums in the fire. Buy some Beatles, Kula Shaker, Polyphonic Spree.

> Where do you go?
> - If male, massage parlor.
> - If female, IKEA.

> Who do you need to know?
> - Men and women of affluence. Studies have confirmed that there is a
> correlation between knowing wealthy people and living.

Amusing.. and generally agree.. but f*cking Kula Shaker? Steady on there boy, they were but one season wonders and wouldn't help anyone start living that much..

And you assertion about a correlation between wealth and living? well, it certainly doesn't add up to, or guarantee, happiness.

Ruffian

PS, I like IKEA! Currently a fan of the Billy range. what does that say about me?
PPS, why 'cock & Balls' couldn't you choose something less 'in your face'!

> These may very well be my favorite lines from Morrissey as a Smith. And
> these lines come to me very often. I am now 30. I can't offer much
> guidance, except to say that finding out what you want to do in life, in
> all aspects of life, education, career, family, marriage, relationships,
> spirituality, religion, values, morals, politics, etc., is not easy. You
> have go looking & do a bit of investigation and research. You have to
> do some work. Some of these things just come to you and sort themselves
> out, as time (like a wave that makes a rough rock eventually smooth)
> carves out the person you become. It is only when you know what you want
> or have some notion of it, that you can then realize it. And this is not
> easy either...but at least when you have drive, ambition, zeal, and
> goals/hopes/dreams to focus those energies on, you are not shooting in the
> dark.

Hmmm but what about when you are shooting in the dark, and stuck in the middle of nowhere, practically powerless to do anything about it.

Thank you Belligerent Ghoul and Radar O'Reilly for your thoughtful response to my (or should i say Morrissey's) question- it is very much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom