If you had to play 1 Moz or 1 Smiths song to your parents, what song would you select & why?

> Don't leave us in the dark!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Sorry but this is the worst question you've asked!

When my dad drove with me to Vegas for the Sept. 6, 2002 show, I played Jack the Ripper...

for almost the entire time. Surprisingly, he doesn't hate the song.

> Don't leave us in the dark!

My mom likes Morrissey's music, so I can play just about any for her. Except she hates the weird ones, such as "Miserable Lie" ("Who is this freak? Is he about to yodel?") The first song she got into was "Moon River," although she wished Morrissey hadn't altered the lyrics, and she has some weird thing against covers. Then she heard "I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" blasting from behind my closed door and demanded to know who was singing that nice song. I said "Morrissey." She said, "Jim Morrisson?" Psh!! Then I played her "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" and "I Won't Share You," which she loved. It's just the harder ones and the weirder ones she doesn't go for. I've made her discs of the gentler, prettier, and most romantic songs and she's become a somewhat big fan.

My dad is absolutely not a potential Morrissey fan. If I had to play him a song it would be "Oscillate Wildly." = )

And I know she listens to those discs because recently we were watching Ferris Bueller on cable together and she spotted the intrumental cover of "Please Please Please."

"break up the family".

-d

> And I know she listens to those discs because recently we were watching
> Ferris Bueller on cable together and she spotted the intrumental cover of
> "Please Please Please."

I have played 'Sing Your Life' to my mammy as I thought the 50s ambience of the song would remind her of the days when she used to jive at the Locarno. She didn't mind the music, but uttered the same old patter...
"It's his voice, I don't like"

As for The Smiths, something that doesn't mention death/depression/loneliness as this would fuel her arguement of "Ooooh, he's soooo depressing!". Maybe I'd opt for 'Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before', (because it's "jolly" and one of my favourites) and hope she doesn't notice the "mass murder line". All together now..."oooh, he's soooo depressing".

I remember first playing the song "Reel Around The Fountain" for my mom, and she was actually rather impressed! That is, until she saw a Morrissey video, after which she described him "a complete lunatic". I guess watching him flail and thrash about was just too much for her! Though she still enjoys listening to some of his songs (as long as she doesn't see the videos)!

NOBODY LOVES US

"Make us our favourite jam
nobody loves us..."

Re: When my dad drove with me to Vegas for the Sept. 6, 2002 show, I played Jack the Ripper...

> for almost the entire time. Surprisingly, he doesn't hate the song.

You played 'Jack..' for ALMOST the entire time?? That song's only about 3 and a half minutes long, M.
How long was the trip? Two minutes? Three?
Couldn't you have walked?

Ha! Patrick, you silly man. I had the song set to repeat for almost the entire thee and a half hours

I can be obsessive about certain songs.

Re: Ha! Patrick, you silly man. I had the song set to repeat for almost the entire thee and a half h

Do you think you might need some therapy?

Re: Ha! Patrick, you silly man. I had the song set to repeat for almost the entire thee and a half h

> Do you think you might need some therapy?

No, it's been over a year and I haven't listened to that song or any other song quite so obsessively since. Thanks for asking though.

Back
Top Bottom