Open suggestion to David T and anyone who wants to chime in/tell me to eff off

K

King Leer

Having been on the site since almost the beginning, and without even one Morrissey album release since that time ('97!), how about a separate, *modified* forum only for the discussion of the new album/singles/videos. People could still discuss things here in the main forum, but at least with a modified area, interesting topics wouldn't get buried beneath mountains of non-Moz-related talk. I know the front end news items have their own message areas, but something more permanent would be good.

Just an idea, since you're just not working hard enough, David

One slight problem....

How would you stop those who want to post non Morrissey stuff in this new forum? And if you have the answer to that, then it can be applied to the current messageboard surely!
The Goat MBE

Re: One slight problem....

That's what I meant by "moderated". A person/people would actually have to remove off-topic posts on a daily basis. David's never done that on this board because...David, why haven't you? Actually I've asked him before -- I think he likes this area to be a free-for-all.

Posts by Mr. Improper and stuff like the "photo of the day" are funny, but I sometimes I *would* like to go to a separate board with only Morrissey content and nothing else. The other Morrissey sites don't have nearly the user base...

This is actually a good idea. I go to another messageboard with a pretty specific topic and to deal with all of the off-topic posts, they created a separate board where people can talk about whatever they want. The mods remove any off-topic posts from the main page and put them there. It works pretty well. The problem is finding a full-time moderator. This other board seems to have two or three nearly full-time moderators (who also own it), but they shut the boards down if they're going to be away so the boards don't get clogged up. Additionally, if something comes up -- a moderator gets tied up in their real life -- they may have to clear the board out all at once and that's a pain -- slogging through a billion posts at the end of the day is not my idea of a good time.

But if the details could be worked out, this would be a fine idea.

> That's what I meant by "moderated". A person/people would
> actually have to remove off-topic posts on a daily basis. David's never
> done that on this board because...David, why haven't you? Actually I've
> asked him before -- I think he likes this area to be a free-for-all.

> Posts by Mr. Improper and stuff like the "photo of the day" are
> funny, but I sometimes I *would* like to go to a separate board with only
> Morrissey content and nothing else. The other Morrissey sites don't have
> nearly the user base...

back in the days of bronze, i used to believe in the same idea that things shouldn't be cluttered...

but you know what? i realized how impossible it is. you can't seperate the personalities from the material or both will die. and frankly, i don't mind! we have the news items to post comments about morrissey's career, and then we have this place where the conversation can easily turn towards other things.

besides, the number of messages to wade through is not astounding by a longshot. if its a particularly busy day, maybe you'll get 130 at the most and most of the time, the subject header gives me an indication of if its something i'm interested in....and usually if its that many messages, nearly 50% of them are obvious space fillers posted by people who are bored. nothing requires me to open them unless i'm dying of boredom.

Perhaps there's a case for having a section devoted to pictures of baboons and related discussion?

pic138434.jpg

Good idea

Definitely!
Mr.Improper would be a big fan of that one!

> besides, the number of messages to wade through is not astounding by a
> longshot. if its a particularly busy day, maybe you'll get 130 at the most
> and most of the time, the subject header gives me an indication of if its
> something i'm interested in....and usually if its that many messages,
> nearly 50% of them are obvious space fillers posted by people who are
> bored. nothing requires me to open them unless i'm dying of boredom.

Yeah but one of the big flaws of this message board is that if you miss one day of checking messages, everything is pushed way to the bottom or already scrolled off. It really is an annoying aspect of this place. But I'm not calling for it to be changed. Someone can create another web site with a different format of message board if they wanna. The ezboard format is pretty good. Hey, anyone with time on their hands who is jealous of David's web site glory, now would be the perfect time to start making your site! I kinda miss the Ambitious Outsiders as a second major site, ya know.

> That's what I meant by "moderated". A person/people would
> actually have to remove off-topic posts on a daily basis. David's never
> done that on this board because...David, why haven't you? Actually I've
> asked him before -- I think he likes this area to be a free-for-all.

Yeah but moderated message boards almost always suck. It's hard to find moderators who won't be too interventionist about it. Also it's not always easy to decide what is on topic. Morrissey's new album appears - glancing at the song titles - to have songs that might get people talking about all sorts of topics, not just whether they like tapping their toe to the songs or thought Morrissey's shirt was sexy in the video. I've never liked a message board where you feel someone is gonna intervene if you go "off topic." What you might end up having is a dead message board where every few weeks someone posts "Morrissey's album rules!" or "Morrissey's album sucks!"

Also it's likely that the moderators would be personal about how they enforce whatever rules there are. It's a rare message board where moderators are fair and consistant and not on a power trip. People get really mad at each other online to a silly and personal degree over stupid shit. I can't think of many people I see here who I'd like having the power to delete, move around and edit peoples' messages.

> Posts by Mr. Improper and stuff like the "photo of the day" are
> funny, but I sometimes I *would* like to go to a separate board with only
> Morrissey content and nothing else. The other Morrissey sites don't have
> nearly the user base...

Do you think many people really want a message board where you can only talk about Morrissey's career, concerts, and videos? That could get boring quick. If people want it then go for it, but as you point out, the other Morrissey message boards are all huge failures. If there were a second board where moderators force you to stay stricly on the topoic of Morrissey's products and career moves, and if anyone, like, posts some good recipes (thanks GendarNector!) then moderators would swoop down upon him or her, well...I think people would stay on this board.

I don't read a lot of posts here, but I always make it a point to read Mr. Improper's. Love that guy. = )

It's fine the way it is, really...

- actually David has removed several posts from here on this Message Board over the years...

There are routinely some pretty disgusting ones posted here every day I'm sure- but I am very picky on what I open here and avoid most of the crap- and for David I am sure it would be impossible to sift through all the mud all the time- but he has indeed taken down stuff pertaining to Morrissey's address/ugly personal attacks/etc. and so on...

cheers

> Yeah but one of the big flaws of this message board is that if you miss
> one day of checking messages, everything is pushed way to the bottom or
> already scrolled off. It really is an annoying aspect of this place.

But you can easily change your preferences to stop this happening; have you tried this?

> But you can easily change your preferences to stop this happening; have
> you tried this?

I looked at the pferences once ages ago. I'll check again on different settings. But that wouldn't solve how the format kills threads really quick. If I reply to the thread at the top, within minutes it will have lots of hits. But if you're a day or two late in seeing a thread, it's pretty much a dead thread...unless you put a big attention-grabbing subject line in it.

Re: No Problem at all!!

Two message boards: One Morrissey Discussion Only Board and the other a General Discussion Board

Register to post on the boards,
and failure to follow the rules -
two strikes and
you are eliminated from the Moz only board

But then there are those like me who aren't allowed to register, vote, or post on the main page.

Oh, well ... It was a thought.

> How would you stop those who want to post non Morrissey stuff in this new
> forum? And if you have the answer to that, then it can be applied to the
> current messageboard surely!
> The Goat MBE

I'd take the message board down. some people on there are utter scum.

And I'd take you down, you negative, whining, bitch. Come back when you have a better attitude and can stop pissing in everyone's cheerios. Piece of shite, complete twat, that you are.

Banish yourself, tosser.

It can work...

I have seen it work on other sites, and work quite well. For me it's similar to what Loafing Oaf was saying... Of course I don't have to open messages that are obviously off-topic, but *visually* I sometimes get annoyed at non-related threads with 40 or 50 messages shoving away interesting on-topic threads off the first page, in effect killing them off. A separate moderated board, with perhaps a different look (ez-board style?) would solve this problem. Finding mods who won't power-trip and not creating an atmosphere that isn't too anal would be a challenge, but it can't be that hard.

but who wants it to?

> I have seen it work on other sites, and work quite well. For me it's
> similar to what Loafing Oaf was saying... Of course I don't have to open
> messages that are obviously off-topic, but *visually* I sometimes get
> annoyed at non-related threads with 40 or 50 messages shoving away
> interesting on-topic threads off the first page, in effect killing them
> off. A separate moderated board, with perhaps a different look (ez-board
> style?) would solve this problem. Finding mods who won't power-trip and
> not creating an atmosphere that isn't too anal would be a challenge, but
> it can't be that hard.

i don't mind. when there is downtime in between projects, interview, and recordings, i don't really see what else keeps this place going except for whatever is on peoples' minds.

it does say "general" discussion board which obviously means that this is the dumping ground for hookups and war in iraq debates. i think the "real" discussion about morrissey's career has rightfully moved to the front page. not that i want all of it to leave, but its easier to post a reply to a news article right underneath it instead of coming here, having to say, "hey did you read the article?" and then give your viewpoint.

sure, its easier to kick off a debate about it here because reading and posting replies is inherently easier in this format, but still...

How about you make your own morrissey board that way you can do whatever the f***ity f*** f*** you want??? then you can add all your shitty little smiley faces,your own "modified" board...(modify my f***in cock in your mouth f***cheese)...and everything else??? you can talk about morrisseys hair,his sexuality(like I give a f*** about that..the man is god),vegetarianism,how much of an ass clown you are(we've known it for years,Im sorry you havent figured it out yet),and anything else you'd like to discuss????? you know,since you're not working so hard?????

> And I'd take you down, you negative, whining, bitch. Come back when you
> have a better attitude and can stop pissing in everyone's cheerios. Piece
> of shite, complete twat, that you are.

> Banish yourself, tosser.

ever been to the messageboard, prick?

Back
Top Bottom