What is the best Vegetarian dish you have ever had, be it in a restaurant or prepared by you, etc.?

• Thread starter Belligerent Ghoul
  • Start date
B

Belligerent Ghoul

Please describe the meal.

And please post the recipe if you have it.

Re: What is the best Vegetarian dish you have ever had, be it in a restaurant or prepared by you, et

> Please describe the meal.

> And please post the recipe if you have it.

My favorite dish to make is Eggplant Rolls. They are heavenly!! I don't have the recipe here at work but I do know what's in it. If it interests anyone, just ask me for the recipe and I shall post it.

Eggplant (sliced lengthwise)

Filling:
1 tub ricotta cheese
toated pine nuts
fresh basil
fresh spinach
fresh parsley
parmesan cheese

Tomato / marinara sauce.
Mozzerella cheese

Directions:
Pour 1/2 sauce into a lasagna pan.
Put about 2 tbsp. of filling in the middle of an eggplant slice. Roll it up and place it seam side down in the pan. Arrange all of the rolls in the pan. Cover it with remaining marinara sauce and the top it with shredded moz. cheese. Bake and enjoy!
*drool*

I also love Indian-style Chickpea Casserole. (from the PETA cookbook) YUM!

Re: What is the best Vegetarian dish you have ever had, be it in a restaurant or prepared by you, et

I don't really have a particular favourite, I tend to vary the recipies mainly for Lasagna, pancakes, omelates, stuffed peppers or tomatoes. I'm quite partial to spinach and goats cheese sauce.

> My favorite dish to make is Eggplant Rolls. They are heavenly!! I don't
> have the recipe here at work but I do know what's in it. If it interests
> anyone, just ask me for the recipe and I shall post it.

> Eggplant (sliced lengthwise)

> Filling:
> 1 tub ricotta cheese
> toated pine nuts
> fresh basil
> fresh spinach
> fresh parsley
> parmesan cheese

> Tomato / marinara sauce.
> Mozzerella cheese

> Directions:
> Pour 1/2 sauce into a lasagna pan.
> Put about 2 tbsp. of filling in the middle of an eggplant slice. Roll it
> up and place it seam side down in the pan. Arrange all of the rolls in the
> pan. Cover it with remaining marinara sauce and the top it with shredded
> moz. cheese. Bake and enjoy!
> *drool*

> I also love Indian-style Chickpea Casserole. (from the PETA cookbook) YUM!
>

I can't tell you the recipe but coming from Bradford, you'd expect we know a thing or two about curry and sure enough we have some damn fine restaurants. However, the best veggie meal by far I ever had was at a restaurant in Lytham St Annes about 10 years ago. I had a chick-pea, spinach and potato madras, with garlic naan, washed down with two bottles of coriander-tinged Indian wine. Completely wonderful. The last thing I remember about that night is my wife undressing me and shoving me into bed as I couldn't manage it myself. Aaaaahhhh, the days before the kids came along........

Sk.

I had a chick-pea,
> spinach and potato madras, with garlic naan, washed down with two bottles
> of coriander-tinged Indian wine. Completely wonderful.

I LOOOOVE Indian food! I just went to my favorite restaurant yesterday for lunch. I had the Vegetarian combo which comes with:

Pampadam
Vegetable Pakura
Aloo Matar
Tarka Dal
Basmati rice
and 2 orders of Nan bread. God I love that stuff!!!! I have leftovers so guess what I'm having for lunch today.

Ahh... The Chicago Diner

This was about a year and a half ago. About a year prior, I had gone from a 6-year vegetarian to a vegan. I'd taken for granted how easy it is to eat vegetarian at most restuarants, but trying to be vegan when eating out can be very difficult. I'd resigned myself to a few items at a few restaurants that I knew were "safe".

Then my wife and I were visiting a friend up in Chicago. We went to eat at a 100% vegetarian restaurant called the Chicago Diner. I wasn't expecting much, figured they'd have a steamed vegetable plate with no cheese. Boy, was I in for a shock. Everything, every last item on their menu is vegetarian. Actually, almost all of it is vegan. From the organic beers to nachos with soy chorizo to the 10 kinds of vegan desserts. I can't describe the feeling of relaxation and joy I felt. No chance the cook would slip something in without me knowing. Best yet, they were playing The Smiths! They played the whole album, start to finish!

The meal I had was their nachos, followed by a massive BBQ seitan sandwich with home fries smothered in organic ketchup. A huge piece of cake (my first piece of cake in almost a year!), and all of it washed down with a couple of Wolavers organic beer while Morrissey sang to me at the perfect volume. Bliss.

Re: Ahh... The Chicago Diner

> Then my wife and I were visiting a friend up in Chicago. We went to eat at
> a 100% vegetarian restaurant called the Chicago Diner . I wasn't
> expecting much, figured they'd have a steamed vegetable plate with no
> cheese. Boy, was I in for a shock. Everything, every last item on their
> menu is vegetarian. Actually, almost all of it is vegan. From the organic
> beers to nachos with soy chorizo to the 10 kinds of vegan desserts. I
> can't describe the feeling of relaxation and joy I felt. No chance the
> cook would slip something in without me knowing. Best yet, they were
> playing The Smiths! They played the whole album, start to finish!

Isn't that the best??!! I discovered an AMAZING all vegetarian restaurant in Niagara Falls which is about 15 minutes from me. The food is SO good. I've brought all of my meat-eating friends there and they love it too. My parents called me last weekend to go there too. It's all oriental style. Check out their website. It lists items on the menu. If you're ever in the Falls -- GO THERE!

Xin Vego Cafe

A big bowl of Frosted Flakes (called Frosties by the Brits)

Open new box, pour cereal into bowl, add milk, enjoy! Repeat several times until box is empty.

Ah! Good thread. The meal that sticks in my mind is a stuffed (savoy) cabbage - which sounds very uninteresting and, to be honest looked dull on the plate. However, it was ludicrously tasty, packed with all sorts of other veggies. This was in a restaurant in Switzerland about 15 years ago. Must've been good since I can still recall it.

Happily for me, I live near this place (below), which keeps getting awards from the UK vegetarian society. The stuffed avocado is very good value.

Riverside Vegetaria, Kingston
rsv0a.jpg

Where do I start with all these wonderful tales of Veggie cuisine?

You guys are so passionate, even sensual, about food.

Uncle Skin Storm, I have never had the pleasure of an Indian meal such as you described at a restaurant. Being Indian/Pakistani, eating outside always lets me down, as my Grandmother was, and my Mom is an excellent cook. Two bottles of coriander-tinged Indian wine? Sounds divine.

GenderNectar, you make me feel ashamed that I cannot cook Indian food like the kind you described. And to think, I was just in Buffalo after Thanksgiving...so close to Niagara Falls and yet so far away. *Sighs*

My sister will love your Eggplant Eggroll recipe. I'm feeling too lazy to make it at the mo.

Weiß, The Chicago Diner sounds like a dream.

Tingle, glad you liked this thread.

Tesco's own brand of Quorn & Mushroom pies are tops!

George
[email protected]

I LIKE YOU

Francesca's cafe on Queenstown Road in Battersea has the best steak & kidney pie I've ever tasted. It ain't Fray Bentos, that's for sure. I think she really does make it herself.
With chips and a wee mountain of baked beans, life really doesn't get much better.

Re: Can vegetarians eat thinly-sliced ham?

I think they can but my grand-daughter Denise says they can't.

I tried a TV dinner of noodles alfredo with Quorn chicken substitute last year. It made my badly ventilated dorm room smell like dog poo for two days. Sorry, I know that's vulgar, but it did! I haven't eaten Quorn since.

As a uni student, I don't really have the time, energy, or resources to make elaborate vegetarian dishes, so my vegetarian diet has basically consisted of what I'd normally eat minus meat. I enjoy making stir fries with lots of peas (in their pods), noodles and spicy teriyaki sauce. I also love GardenBurgers (Diner Deluxe style) which is weird because, as a meateater, I wasn't big into burgers.

The yummiest vegetarian food I've had were these random spring rolls made with mung bean sprouts, shitaki mushrooms and cabbage served with a sauce made of vinegar, rice wine, peppers and spices. The bizarre thing is I got them in my uni's convenience store. I think they're made by some random nearby vegetarian deli or something. Also, at The Kettle in Manhatten Beach, they make a delicious vegetable sandwich with lots of spinach, tomato and sprouts.

I don't eat take-out a lot anymore, but my favorite vegetarian junkfood is Taco Bell bean burritos (with tomatoes and lettuce added). Their new burrito with rice and beans is also excellent. I also like the Veggie Delite sandwich at Subway.

Hi Gender Necter,

The recipe sounds very easy and yummy. I'm always on the look out for new veggie recipes. You can make a really nice Indian Butter Chicken by replacing the chicken with chickpeas. It does have cream in it, so it can be a little fattening, but it's really really nice.

Re: Can vegetarians eat thinly-sliced ham?

> I think they can but my grand-daughter Denise says they can't.

They eat hard boiled eggs and turkey sandwiches, with the turkey taken out.

Anything that doesn't involve cheese! So...

Aunt Bessie's Toad In The Hole*
*Sausage (of the veggie variety in this case) in Yorkshire pudding (batter)

The Linda McCartney Deep-Filled pies are nice too, as is her Cottage Pie.

Chips in Naan bread with curry sauce from Top Nosh (next to Snobs nightclub in Birmingham)

udon noodles soup with tofu and veg

Here are some of my favorite recipes.

INDIAN-STYLE CHICKPEA CASSEROLE

1 tbsp. Veg. Oil / water
½ - 1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 cup cooked brown / white rice
1 cup canned cream-style corn
1 16oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tsp. Curry powder
½ tsp. Tumeric
½ tsp. Ground cumin
¼ cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a 1 ½ quart baking dish.
Heat the oil / water in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onions, garlic, and bay leaf, stirring frequently until the onions are tender. About 5 minutes. Remove the pan form the heat and discard the bay leaf. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Spoon the chickpea mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake covered for 30 minutes or until sauce bubbles.

(I usually serve this with vegetables and either some spiced potatoes or a potato / lentil dish that also has curry in it.)

Serves 6

INDIAN LENTIL VEGETARIAN SOUP / STEW

3 tbsp oil
2 med. Onions
Fry above items,
Add…
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp. Corriander
½ tsp. Tumeric
¼ tsp pepper

1 cup red lentils (rinsed and sorted)

1 can plum tomatoes
1 ½ cup chopped potatoes
1 cup carrots
2 tsp. Salt & pepper

Cook lentils in 4 – 6 cups of water until cooked. (about 7 – 10 mins) Add to lentils, all of the ingredients EXCEPT the last 4. Cook for 15 mins. Add rest & cook until tender.

EGGPLANT ROLLS

Filling:

1 ½ cup ricotta cheese
1 cup fresh basil
1 cup fresh parsley
½ cup fresh spinach
1 tbsp. Toasted pine nuts
1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic
pepper

1 eggplant, cut lenghtwise into ¼” slices
2 cups marinara / tomato sauce
½ cup shredded mozerella cheese

Filling: In food processor, puree filling ingredients. Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
If desired, salt eggplant slices & let sit for 30 mins. Rinse, drain & blot dry.
Lightly spray nonstick baking sheet. Broil eggplant 2-3 inches from heat until softened. (3-5 mins)
Preheat oven to 375. Spread about ½ marinara sauce on 9x12 baking dish. Place 1 – 2 tbsp. Ricotta filling in center of each eggplant slice, roll. Arrange rolls in baking dish, seam-side down. Top rolls w/ remaing sauce; sprinkle with moz cheese. Bake until eggplant is tender and heated. Approx. 25-30 mins.

BROCCOLI W/ SPICY SESAME OIL

1 bunch broccoli
1 ½ tbsp. Sesame oil
2 large garlic cloves
1/8 tsp. Crushed red pepper
2 tsp. Soy sauce
1 tsp lemon juice

Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Cut broccoli into chunks. Add broccoli to water and blanch for about a minute. Drain.
In large skillet, warm sesame oil, garlic, & red pepper over low heat for 3 mins. Stir in soy sauce & lemon juice. Add broccoli and toss to coat.

CREAMY ARTICHOKE SAUCE FOR PASTA

2 6oz. Jars marinated artichoke hearts
1 tbsp. Butter
1 cup SLICED onions
2 tsp. Dried basil
½ cup sour cream
½ cup ricotta cheese
cayenne pepper to taste
salt & pepper to taste
Cooked pasta (fusilli is a good choice)

Drain artichoke liquid into skillet. Slice artichoke hearts into bite-sized pieces & reserve. Add butter to liquid and heat at med. – high heat. Add onions & saute until soft. Add artichokes and basil and cook for 5 mins. Reduce heat, add sour cream, ricotta, cayenne, salt & pepper. Stir until heated through. DON’T BOIL. Toss with pasta & sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

VEGETARIAN LASAGNA

3 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
1 gr. pepper. chopped
2 cups shredded carrot
2 cups chopped mushrooms
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 tins of tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
2 tsp oregano
salt & pepper
1 - 500 grm. Ricotta cheese
3 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 lb. mozerella cheese

Saute garlic, onion & green pepper in 1 tbsp. oil then remove. Then saute carrots in oil & remove. Then zucchini & then mushrooms. Put together with tomato sauce and herbs. Simmer 30 mins. Mix in seperate bowl ricotta, eggs & parmesan and set aside. Cook noodles and rinse. (i use the Oven Ready kind that you don't have to cook) Layer 1/2 sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, noodles & remaining sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr. Sprinkle with moz. cheese and bake unkovered until melted.

ATHENIAN ARTICHOKE DIP

1 can (14 oz) artichoke harts in water, drained and chopped
4 oz feta cheese, chopped
¼ cup red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 cup mayonnaise
3 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
¾ tsp dried oregano leaves
¼ cup sliced almonds (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Mix chopped artichoke harts, feta cheese, bell pepper, pressed garlic clove, mayo, sliced onions and oregano. Spoon into baking dish and top with almonds. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve with Baked Pita Chips (see below).

BAKED PITA CHIPS
5 whole-wheat pita bread rounds

Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut each pita bread round in half horizontally. Cut each half into eight triangles. Arrange triangles in single layer on baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.

Makes about 80 chips.

Back
Top Bottom