Do you think that, in general, most music made by Black/Afro Peoples sucks/is not to your liking?

• Thread starter I am not a racist. I am also not politically corre
  • Start date
I

I am not a racist. I am also not politically corre

For the most part, it does not appeal to me.

Re: Do you think that, in general, most music made by Black/Afro Peoples sucks/is not to your liking

> For the most part, it does not appeal to me.

Good question, I agree. We are on quite thin ice, but I can only speak personally, there are very few black artists I actually really like, Hendrix and Bob Marley spring immediately to mind, but who else? All my faves are mostly white and male unfortunately...

Re: Do you think that, in general, most music made by Black/Afro Peoples sucks/is not to your liking

> Good question, I agree. We are on quite thin ice, but I can only speak
> personally, there are very few black artists I actually really like,
> Hendrix and Bob Marley spring immediately to mind, but who else? All my
> faves are mostly white and male unfortunately...

Two of my favourite bands are of mixed colours-Echobelly and Skunk Anansie. I think these 2 bands rock and it's dangerous to just dismiss coloured bands. Give me Echobelly and Skunk Anansie over most bands any day.

Nothing contemporary comes to mind. I do like Ella Fitzgerald, The Supremes, and erm....hmmm....oh, I liked that Beyonce tune...and Billie Holiday...that's all I can think of right now.

pic136789.jpg

There is probably, in general, more music by white people that I dislike......

Think about it.
The Goat MBE

I agree. I only like the old-timey Picaninny classics like "Mississippi Mud", and those other early American Golliwog spirituals.
I don't like all this violent rap music. The boogies are keeping the hate revolving, and soon it will be back upon them in all of it's awful colour.

pic136795.jpg

Most music made by most people is not to my liking.

Regardless of skin color.

But just to clarify, do you mean old stuff, like The OJs, Stevie Wonder or The Temptations?

Maybe you mean Bad Brains, Living Color, Prince or Bob Marley?

Or more contemporary music, like that by The Roots, OutKast, Lauren Hill or Alicia Keys?

I hear tiny sparks of appeal in all of the above.

Or are you talking about rap/hip-hop? If so, keep in mind:
The Beastie Boys, Third Base, House of Pain. Snow. Vanilla Ice. Eminem. Bubba Sparxx. Kid Rock.

I remember being mocked in this forum because I love Wyclef Jean, Wu Tang Clan, Ice Cube, and so forth. I don't really understand people who close themselves off to lots of music. Wyclef's last album was really cool, as usual, and even included the great reggea star Buju Banton as a guest on two tracks.

I don't relate completely to everything someone like, say, Ice Cube, has to say in his music. But I still like to hear it. Because he's really talented with lyrics and he's telling you exactly what the f*** is on his mind, uncensored.
I like that about some rap music. There's more honesty in it. If some of it is disturbing, well, good that it's out in the open then!

foolish, ghoulish, & childish

A Ghoul's work is never done.

What are you driving at Pops?

I've got more music posters (mostly promo) than I can count and they are all of white artists, as is honky, as in Caucasian, as in not people of color.

People will disagree, I am sure, but I think one relates best to music of one owns environment & upbringing, regardless of color. I grew up in Liverpool listening to The Smiths, etc. Some of you grew up in LA listening to college or alternative radio, KROQ comes to mind.

Perhaps, if I grew up in the hood, I would understand more rap, r&b, and "hip-hop" whatever that is, better and so I would connect with it and enjoy it.

I think music made by African-Americans, at least, has gone to the sewer. And even many Black people, especially parents, feel the same.

Having said all that, I do like the old Motown artists very much, especially the girl groups of that era.

I hope this answers your question.

RUDE BOYS AND GIRLS THIS WAY PLEASE

Thanks for bringing this up as I never thought I'd get the chance to namecheck the following on a Morrissey message board.

The type of black music I'm into most is Jamacan Ska and the whole Blue Beat scene, anyone who owns the Specials debut should get into all of the following Prince Buster, Laurel Aitken, The Maytals, Derrick Morgan, Errol Dixon, The Blues Busters, Blues Busters All Stars, The Deltas, and The Personalities.

Then you've got your more roots reggae stuff like Lee Perry, Pablo Moses, Johnny Clarke, Linval Thompson, Horace Andy, and Burning Spear.

Then there are other forms of black music which I'm not into as much but still have a lot of respect for such as the Gospel, blues and soul boys like Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, The Drifters, Memphis Slim, Smokey Robinson, Bobby Womack and Al Green.

And also lets not forget the guys who inspired rock n roll like Little Richard
and Chuck Berry.

I also think Hip Hop and Rap music, although I don't really like it, is very relevant socially and Politically in the States, more so in the 80s and early 90s than nowadays where its taken on a whole new meaning.

At the moment I would like to get into more world music, the sort of stuff thats been been going on in places like Trinadad. Heaven knows there is nothing going on in the white guitar scene at the moment, might as well broaden my horizons a bit more.

Now where does Nina Simone fit into all of this ?

Re: RUDE BOYS AND GIRLS THIS WAY PLEASE

> Thanks for bringing this up as I never thought I'd get the chance to
> namecheck the following on a Morrissey message board.

> The type of black music I'm into most is Jamacan Ska and the whole Blue
> Beat scene, anyone who owns the Specials debut should get into all of the
> following Prince Buster, Laurel Aitken, The Maytals, Derrick Morgan, Errol
> Dixon, The Blues Busters, Blues Busters All Stars, The Deltas, and The
> Personalities.

> Then you've got your more roots reggae stuff like Lee Perry, Pablo Moses,
> Johnny Clarke, Linval Thompson, Horace Andy, and Burning Spear.

> Then there are other forms of black music which I'm not into as much but
> still have a lot of respect for such as the Gospel, blues and soul boys
> like Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, The Drifters, Memphis Slim, Smokey Robinson,
> Bobby Womack and Al Green.

> And also lets not forget the guys who inspired rock n roll like Little
> Richard
> and Chuck Berry.

> I also think Hip Hop and Rap music, although I don't really like it, is
> very relevant socially and Politically in the States, more so in the 80s
> and early 90s than nowadays where its taken on a whole new meaning.

> At the moment I would like to get into more world music, the sort of stuff
> thats been been going on in places like Trinadad. Heaven knows there is
> nothing going on in the white guitar scene at the moment, might as well
> broaden my horizons a bit more.

> Now where does Nina Simone fit into all of this ?

great post. I agree with all of that. There are many black artists I love, I'll list them tomorrow.

Re: RUDE BOYS AND GIRLS THIS WAY PLEASE

Ah....SKA...

I do not care what Moz says.....Jamacan (1st generation), British (2nd generation) and now 4th generation (never sure what happened to 3rd generation) SKA and Blue Beat IS dance ability baby.

The Smiths were for growing up with, Morrissey is for listening to (remember the lack of dancing during the last tour!!) but SKA is for dancing to....if you don't dance to this...then you don't dance!!

Not forgetting The Clash and thier "rootsy" reggae

btw...Nina Simone fits into the small bit in the middle

Re: Post 80s...

Is that good or bad dear heart....I am never quite sure!

Re: Post 80s...

> It blows motherf***er.

What a classy post...

Back
Top Bottom