Sweet and Tender Hooligans Questions

C

Cili Barnes

Sorry to bring them up (I know it bothers some of you), but I have a few questions regarding this band which I keep hearing about.

1. Are they simply a cover band?
2. Is this a career, or just a hobby?
3. If it is a career, how is money made? I mean, it's not like the Smiths had Elvis Presley's popularity.
4. Have they released any albums? That would be interesting.
5. How often do you think they still listen to the Smiths?

What I can't figure out is why anyone cares so much about a cover band. To me, there is nothing earth shattering about what they do since they play locally, haven't gained any sort of reputation for being premiere entertainers, or unlike El Vez, haven't created something new with it, and are probably foresaking any shot of actually being a real band with a REAL recording contract with a real career by continuing on with it, but their news is reported on this site as much as Morrissey's.

Am I wrong? Are people so desperate to throw themselves at anything vaguely resembling the Smiths that they can get away with it?

> Sorry to bring them up (I know it bothers some of you), but I
> have a few questions regarding this band which I keep hearing
> about.

> 1. Are they simply a cover band?
> 2. Is this a career, or just a hobby?
> 3. If it is a career, how is money made? I mean, it's not like
> the Smiths had Elvis Presley's popularity.
> 4. Have they released any albums? That would be interesting.
> 5. How often do you think they still listen to the Smiths?

I don't understand either.

> What I can't figure out is why anyone cares so much about a
> cover band. To me, there is nothing earth shattering about what
> they do since they play locally, haven't gained any sort of
> reputation for being premiere entertainers, or unlike El Vez,
> haven't created something new with it, and are probably
> foresaking any shot of actually being a real band with a REAL
> recording contract with a real career by continuing on with it,
> but their news is reported on this site as much as Morrissey's.

> Am I wrong? Are people so desperate to throw themselves at
> anything vaguely resembling the Smiths that they can get away
> with it?

I was actually wondering the same thing, which is why I had to ask about them. Their name keeps popping up so I wondered if they were actually more than just a cover band. If they are just covering Smiths tunes, I don't understand all the excitement. I don't want to be mean or anything, but doesn't that seem a little pathetic to dress up as a 15 year old pop-personality, get on stage, and sing someone else's songs? You're up there, so why not deflate the quiff and sing your own songs? The songs might not be as catchy (then again they could be better), but at least you'd mean it.

On a lark, I saw the Stoned Roses (Roses cover band) once and I was truly embarassed. It was so strange to watch someone pretending to be somebody else; enjoying the misdirected attention. That's another thing I don't understand either - the Smiths fans hopping onto the Sweet and Tender Hooligans' stage. Why would one do that?

Hey Suzanne, if this is the one whose website has the Jerry Lewis monster (if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about), you're really cute in that one picture where you're holding your guitar!

Re: I don't understand either.

>You're up there, so
> why not deflate the quiff and sing your own songs? The songs
> might not be as catchy (then again they could be better), but at
> least you'd mean it.

I notice that people will actually listen to you if you play things they know. It's a very easy way to make money which comes in handy if you work at Taco Cabana.

> On a lark, I saw the Stoned Roses (Roses cover band) once and I
> was truly embarassed. It was so strange to watch someone
> pretending to be somebody else; enjoying the misdirected
> attention. That's another thing I don't understand either - the
> Smiths fans hopping onto the Sweet and Tender Hooligans' stage.
> Why would one do that?

I have no idea. It's not like those guys wrote any of the songs or inspired any of the thinking behind the music.

Then again, maybe there is something about the chord structure or lyrics in those songs that seeks out the brain center and shuts down the autonomic nervous system. I've always wondered why Morrissey's fans tend to have lower IQ levels at concerts compared to most other bands, and maybe it's not their fault after all. Maybe the lyrics are loaded down with anagrams and hidden meanings that end up translating to, "hey, you...see me up on stage? Tackle me as hard as you can. The security guards have been picking others like you off left and right but don't pay any attention to that. I'm singing this song just for you, and I might break my years of celibacy if you do it just right..."

> Hey Suzanne, if this is the one whose website has the Jerry
> Lewis monster (if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking
> about),

Seen it?!?! I spent hours masterfully creating that thing from old Entertainment weeklies a few years ago....just to leave it buried in a pile of papers for a few years.

>you're really cute in that one picture where you're
> holding your guitar!

*blush* well, it's all the wig.

I wasn't even that attractive this year for Halloween. I went as one of the Gumbies from Monty Python's flying circus. And I didn't play a gig either (which I hadn't done in 4 months, and don't really give a flying feck), so no pic of me as Gumby with a guitar.

Re: THey sucKKK so does the ugly singer he TRies TO hARD

> Sorry to bring them up (I know it bothers some of you), but I
> have a few questions regarding this band which I keep hearing
> about.

> 4. Have they released any albums? That would be interesting.
> 5. How often do you think they still listen to the Smiths?

> What I can't figure out is why anyone cares so much about a
> cover band.

I dont know about others but if you were to pick up a guitar and hum any morrissey/smiths tunes.. you will have me as an audience. (would you like to hear my solo on "back to the old house"? just guitar.. no voice.. and mp3 format) : )

To me, there is nothing earth shattering about what
> they do since they play locally, haven't gained any sort of
> reputation for being premiere entertainers, or unlike El Vez,
> haven't created something new with it, and are probably
> foresaking any shot of actually being a real band with a REAL
> recording contract with a real career by continuing on with it,
> but their news is reported on this site as much as Morrissey's.

people who often go to sath shows are there just to have a good time. i dont think they put these kinds of things into question. what makes sath enjoyable is that they imitate the smiths/morrissey live and that's their primary job.. if you're asking for their own material.. i dont think anyone would be interested..

> Am I wrong? Are people so desperate to throw themselves at
> anything vaguely resembling the Smiths that they can get away
> with it?

> I was actually wondering the same thing, which is why I had to
> ask about them. Their name keeps popping up so I wondered if
> they were actually more than just a cover band.

Most of the people that goes to their show frequents morrissey solo.. I'm one of them.

If they are just
> covering Smiths tunes, I don't understand all the excitement. I
> don't want to be mean or anything, but doesn't that seem a
> little pathetic to dress up as a 15 year old pop-personality,
> get on stage, and sing someone else's songs? You're up there, so
> why not deflate the quiff and sing your own songs? The songs
> might not be as catchy (then again they could be better), but at
> least you'd mean it.

They're a cover band and their job is to cover other people's material. alot of people have asked the same questions about their own material.. i dont think they have any...most people expect to hear morrissey/smiths tunes anyway.. anything else wouldn't be of their interest..

> On a lark, I saw the Stoned Roses (Roses cover band) once and I
> was truly embarassed. It was so strange to watch someone
> pretending to be somebody else; enjoying the misdirected
> attention.

it's all about influence. you see it everywhere .. people love their idol to extent where they take on their idol's images.. that's how you get all these morrissey/robert smiths/elvis/james dean/betty page look alikes.. i dont see anything wrong with that..

That's another thing I don't understand either - the
> Smiths fans hopping onto the Sweet and Tender Hooligans' stage.
> Why would one do that?

i dont know.. i usually innocently hide in the corners.. but it was fun just watching it happen.. you get big laughs and the whole thing is just all fun

> Hey Suzanne, if this is the one whose website has the Jerry
> Lewis monster (if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking
> about), you're really cute in that one picture where you're
> holding your guitar!

Re: Sweet and Tender Hooligans Answers

Primarily they perform as a cover band now but in the early days they also did original Material.
>
2. Is this a career, or just a hobby?
I think this is generally a hoppy or 2nd job to the boys. all of them have day jobs and ..well I wont go into detail but you'd be surprised!
>
3. If it is a career, how is money made? I mean, it's not like
Actually they get pretty decent wages doing what they do. If you've never seen them you maight not understand...They are very good and very entertaining. >

4. Have they released any albums? That would be interesting.

I have their original Demo...originals and covers...want a copy?

> 5. How often do you think they still listen to the Smiths? EVERY DAY. Every other day. Depends on wich memeber you ask

honestly you will most likely be impressed if you see them. noone is really building them up as recording stars, but they really put on a great show and its fun!

So, when are you gonna go out with Mud?

> I notice that people will actually listen to you if you play
> things they know. It's a very easy way to make money which comes
> in handy if you work at Taco Cabana.

> I have no idea. It's not like those guys wrote any of the songs
> or inspired any of the thinking behind the music.

> Then again, maybe there is something about the chord structure
> or lyrics in those songs that seeks out the brain center and
> shuts down the autonomic nervous system. I've always wondered
> why Morrissey's fans tend to have lower IQ levels at concerts
> compared to most other bands, and maybe it's not their fault
> after all. Maybe the lyrics are loaded down with anagrams and
> hidden meanings that end up translating to, "hey, you...see
> me up on stage? Tackle me as hard as you can. The security
> guards have been picking others like you off left and right but
> don't pay any attention to that. I'm singing this song just for
> you, and I might break my years of celibacy if you do it just
> right..."

> Seen it?!?! I spent hours masterfully creating that thing from
> old Entertainment weeklies a few years ago....just to leave it
> buried in a pile of papers for a few years.

> *blush* well, it's all the wig.

> I wasn't even that attractive this year for Halloween. I went as
> one of the Gumbies from Monty Python's flying circus. And I
> didn't play a gig either (which I hadn't done in 4 months, and
> don't really give a flying feck), so no pic of me as Gumby with
> a guitar.

SATH shows are just fun. The Hooligans sound really good, and it's not like they are trying to imitate the smiths or anything, really. I mean, the guitar player doesn't try to look like Johnny Marr or anything. I think they just really like Moz's music and that's why they do what they do. I thought they were going to suck the first time I saw them, but I was very much surprised to find that they certainly didn't.
As for why people jump on stage...well, they don't really do that at their regular shows. They only did that at the convention, and those people were just a bunch of idiots trying to show off to their friends. Most people didn't even run on stage and grab Jose, they just jumped on stage, waved to their friends and then stage-dived.
I like to hear Moz's music live, that's why I go.

All in fun then.

I guess I was mistakenly imagining a band basking in the Smiths' fame. It sounds to like it's nothing like that; just some good old fashioned fun. I thought that perhaps the Sweet and Tender Hooligans were either a local band most known for their Smiths covers, or maybe they were a cover band who possibly was starting to believe that they were indeed the Smiths' second coming or something. When I read here that fans were attacking the stage like they do with Morrissey, I was wondering what in the world was going on. It's all clearer now.

Thanks for the info.

Sweet & Tender Hooligans

Listening to the Hooligans on a Friday or Saturday night is much better than going to see some other totally unoriginal band. All these LA bands sound the same so what's wrong with listening to a cover band?? At least they admit they are trying to sound like someone else.

My Two Cents

If you haven't seen them live then please don't comment on them.

If you have seen them live and don't like them- fine. Try not to wallow in your bitterness.

Everyone else will enjoy them.

> So, when are you gonna go out with Mud?

After I go out with you...

And when you dump me, Morrissey...

And when he dumps me, Ralph Fiennes...

And when he dumps me, everyone ever signed to Reprise Records...

Considering the infrequency that I date, by the time I get to him, I will be 95 and drooling on myself.

> i dont know.. i usually innocently hide in the corners.. but it
> was fun just watching it happen.. you get big laughs and the
> whole thing is just all fun

Maybe once, but I don't know about showing up again and again. I would rather spend the money on other shows of bands that are making new material, and would rather pop in the tape of The Complete Picture if the mood to see the Smiths strikes. I would feel too weird throwing myself at some band that was a tribute band.

> Primarily they perform as a cover band now but in the early days
> they also did original Material.
> I think this is generally a hoppy or 2nd job to the boys. all of
> them have day jobs and ..well I wont go into detail but you'd be
> surprised!
> Actually they get pretty decent wages doing what they do. If
> you've never seen them you maight not understand...They are very
> good and very entertaining. > 4. Have they released any
> albums? That would be interesting.

> I have their original Demo...originals and covers...want a copy?

> honestly you will most likely be impressed if you see them.
> noone is really building them up as recording stars, but they
> really put on a great show and its fun!

Blah,Blah, & finally Blah... Be honest it may only be entertaining if you had about I don't know ... 25 beers. Honesty is Policy!!!

Re: Sweet and Tender Girls

What do you guys think about a band that covers smith's tunes but with a Lady singer?? Of course it wouldnt be the same but I always thought it was kind of a fun idea since I know every song by heart and could learn to play songs pretty easy.Haha please no Rude comments!

Dieter Dixon is an alcoholic! Get some help!

> Blah,Blah, & finally Blah... Be honest it may only be
> entertaining if you had about I don't know ... 25 beers. Honesty
> is Policy!!!

I have noticed that many of your postings contain comments that involve the drinking of beer. You know, there are programs that could help you with your problem.

Re: THey sucKKK so does the ugly singer he TRies TO hARD

THE SINGER IS A FAT CHASING HUNCHBACK BEANER WITH NO ABILITY TO DANCE AT ALL AND SECRETLY WISHES HE WAS MORRISSEY SO HE WONT HAVE TO BE HIMSELF AND HE HAS NO CREATIVITY WHAT SO EVER AND IS COMPLETELY DELUSIONAL THAT THE BAND WILL EVER I MEAN EVER MAKE IT THAT DAMN LOOSER JOSE M.

Female Morrisseys read.

> What do you guys think about a band that covers smith's tunes
> but with a Lady singer?? Of course it wouldnt be the same but I
> always thought it was kind of a fun idea since I know every song
> by heart and could learn to play songs pretty easy.Haha please
> no Rude comments!

I've always thought that a female singer would be the best suited to cover any Smiths or Morrissey tunes. I love the idea. No male singer that I can think of could ever do any of those songs justice.

To tell you the truth, a female-fronted Smiths cover band would probably draw a great deal of attention, as it would be such an interesting take on those songs. A song like "Stretch Out and Wait" immediately comes to mind as a song that would probably become even more aethetically beautiful with the right female voice. It's important that a man did it first, but now that it's been done, it's all go. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom