How did you get into the Smiths/Moz? Where were you the moment IT happened? What's your story?

• Thread starter The Person Who Once Wanted To Be "Angelic Upstart"
  • Start date
I was at this little alternative record shop in Huntington Beach CA. It was 1988. I was in High School.

I picked up this album called "Viva Hate" and I just kept staring at this handsome & peculiar looking fellow called "Morrissey." On a whim (something I normally never would do), I paid the 15 bucks for the Silver/Gray album with the double off white (French Vanilla) colored singer's name in block letters, just on the strength of Anton Corbijn's photo of Moz.

I had no idea what to expect.

I put the album on, and listened. As soon as I heard "Everyday is Like Sunday," I thought 'oh shit, this is that guy who sings those songs I love that KROQ plays but never gives his name.' "Angel Angel" drove a knife through my heart and reminded me of the girl I loved more than life...but could never have. "Late Night Maudlin St." felt like someone was narrating life on my street, in my home. "Suedehead," made me leave the house and find out immediately who this Morrissey person was and buy every Smiths album within days, including The Peel Sessions.

From that first day, listening to Viva Hate in my little room where a sweet boy became a joyless man, my life, my world, I, was never the same.

My story is full of shame

"How Soon is Now?" off of the Wedding Singer soundtrack.

I know, i know........

I think i should make a 'flaming pie' story ala. Beatles instead.

Re: My story is full of shame

Haha! Don't worry. That was one of my first introductions to The Smiths as well. I'd heard the song elsewhere (a car commercial, I believe, the Cruel Intentions theatrical trailer, the Charmed themesong). Before I bought Singles, that was the only Smiths song I had ever heard. In fact, a full year before I bought that album, a friend recommended it to me and I recognized the name from The Wedding Singer soundtrack, which my kid sister owned (she later gave it to me). I liked the song, but I wasn't really buying a lot of records at the time, so I ignored my friend.

When I started working at the Gap, I met two cool girls with whom I eventually became very good friends. We liked a lot of the same music -- Blur, Stone Roses, Beatles, Clash, etc. We would listen to music back in the stockroom during breaks or during shipment. One day, I was sharing a locker with one of the girls and I saw that she had a copy of Singles. I started reading the track listing and saw "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" on it. I recognized the song title from Trainspotting, my favorite book. Irvine Welsh quotes the song in a chapter about Spud and how unlucky in love he is because he never takes a chance with a girl when he has ("And in the darkened underpass, I thought Oh God, my chance has come at last, but then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask"). I was intrigued. That night, I bought Singles on the way home from work. As I walked home in the dark, I listened to it. I was hooked after about half a minute of "Hand In Glove."

Bonus story: I used to know an Irish boy online. He had a bit of a crush on me and tried to woo me by showing me a picture of himself. It was a black and white pic which screamed "FAKE!" The guy in the pic also looked way too old to be a 19 year old kid. Anyway, after I got into Morrissey, I realized why he looked so damn familiar to me. The Irish boy had been passing off a picture of Moz as himself! Even though I hadn't spoken to him in ages, I instant messaged him to congratulate on fooling so many people for so long. He admitted that he was shocked that nobody caught on. Good times.

MY SHORT STORY.

I somehow knew they existed: i was attracted, but i was... back in 1987 i was 16. all of a sudden i saw on my tv that gang of lookalikes riding their bicycles. they were following him. they were fierce. they had a power of their own. he was fragile and mighty. i wanted intantly to be part of that gang. i was struck by his voice, even by the way he moved his hands... i was 16.
i took my bicycle at once and started my long journey with him as a dedicated disciple. i never-ever looked back!

pic134766.jpg

Re: MY SHORT STORY.

The "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before," video.

Re: MY SHORT STORY.

> The "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before," video.

YES, that one.

Back
Top Bottom