Do Morrissey songs still make you feel blue? Do you still find the saddest songs depressing?

• Thread starter Belligerent Ghoul
  • Start date
B

Belligerent Ghoul

Because I find myself, smiling, laughing, and enjoying the songs, even the most melancholy ones, without feeling sad.

Well I Wonder. Hand in Glove because it reminds me of someone.

As you get older, I think the songs resonate in a different way. I don't feel the way I did when I was 18 or 25. I don't FEEL anything that way, music included. You are beyond your first loves, and all the angst of your chamber (bedroom), and the rage/frustration of living under your parent's roof.

You can laugh about it now...but at the time it was terrible.

Some songs are so beautiful to me that they make me want to cry, but for me...

the allegations that Morrissey songs are morbid and depressing have never seemed legitimate. His words, for me, are very joyful. They seem to celebrate life. His music always cheers me up and makes me feel glad to be alive. I admit to having mainly cried happy tears while listening to him.

Randomness:

I've been inexplicably on the verge of tears all day. I have no idea why, although it began during an in-class discussion of the D. M. Thomas novel "The White Hotel," which I highly recommend to anyone with an interest in Freud and experimental novels. It's a work of incredible beauty and sadness and, most of all, humanity. I think I'm seriously one of the only people in class who bothered to read it, so I dominated the discussion and I was, like, getting all choked up. There is a motif of breastmilk in the book, which led to a brief discussion of the ending of "The Grapes of Wrath," which was my favorite book in high school and the book that turned me into a liberal. I kid you not. So I had to go buy myself a new copy of that book, which I've been flipping through to find my old favorite parts and yeah, that didn't help my near-weepiness either. Normally, I don't get like this, so I dunno what's wrong with me. *sniffles*

I find every Smiths or Morrissey song very, very uplifting!

Ken
www.workingclassproduction.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom