THE BEST OF.. questions

M

Mark

I recently purchased the moz best of 'suedehead' with the singles up to Vauxhall. I was wondering why Sunny was on there. I am most likely mis-informed, but I thought Sunny was released after Southpaw. As well as that, why is That's Entertainement on there, when every other song is a single?
If someone could answer these questions for me, I would really appreciate it.

It's not a singles collection, but a best of...get it? There IS a difference.¿ I recently purchased the moz best of 'suedehead' with the¿ singles up to Vauxhall. I was wondering why Sunny was on there.¿ I am most likely mis-informed, but I thought Sunny was released¿ after Southpaw. As well as that, why is That's Entertainement on¿ there, when every other song is a single?¿ If someone could answer these questions for me, I would really¿ appreciate it.

> It's not a singles collection, but a best of...get it? There IS¿ a difference.

Well I am SORRY, oh great wise one. I'm sorry that I don't know every intimate detail of this artist's career, I'm sorry that I wasn't born before 1978, I'm sorry that I asked the goddamn question in the first place!
If I have offended you with my ignorance, I sincerely apologise. I promise not to come to this site again.

> I recently purchased the moz best of 'suedehead' with the¿ singles up to Vauxhall. I was wondering why Sunny was on there.¿ I am most likely mis-informed, but I thought Sunny was released¿ after Southpaw. As well as that, why is That's Entertainement on¿ there, when every other song is a single?¿ If someone could answer these questions for me, I would really¿ appreciate it.

Hi Mark,
Basically, I think the cd was intended to be more of a compilation rather than strictly a singles collection. About Sunny - it was released in the UK in 1993 about a year before Vauxhall and I came out. As for That's Entertainment ( written and sung of course originally by the brilliant singer-songwriter Paul Weller in The Jam - haha sorry had to say that!) Well I suppose it's just on there because Morrissey wanted it on there. ok ok I admit it, I made Moz put it on there! :)

Paula,

You'd probably know better than anyone else - but has Moz ever mentioned why he chose to cover "That's Entertainment" in the first place - and why at that point in his career? It's a good song and a good cover - but out of the hundreds he could have chosen, why that one? Curious.

jason¿ Hi Mark,¿ Basically, I think the cd was intended to be more of a¿ compilation rather than strictly a singles collection. About¿ Sunny - it was released in the UK in 1993 about a year before¿ Vauxhall and I came out. As for That's Entertainment ( written¿ and sung of course originally by the brilliant singer-songwriter¿ Paul Weller in The Jam - haha sorry had to say that!) Well I¿ suppose it's just on there because Morrissey wanted it on there.¿ ok ok I admit it, I made Moz put it on there! :)

> I recently purchased the moz best of 'suedehead' with the¿ singles up to Vauxhall. I was wondering why Sunny was on there.¿ I am most likely mis-informed, but I thought Sunny was released¿ after Southpaw.

Yes, but it was then released by his former label EMI who had the rights to it. Suedehead is a compilation of all his UK singles on EMI except for:¿ As well as that, why is That's Entertainement on¿ there, when every other song is a single?

"That's Entertainment" replaced it's a-side "Sing Your Life" as it was planned as a single by itself to promote the compilation. It was probably a better idea than to re-release an older single. Also, they replaced the UK-only single "Certain People I Know" by the contemporary US-only single "Tomorrow" for reasons unknown to me.

Stephane

"Passions Just Like Mine"

YOUR WEBITE ROCKS STEPHANE!!!

> Yes, but it was then released by his former label EMI who had¿ the rights to it. Suedehead is a compilation of all his UK¿ singles on EMI except for:¿ "That's Entertainment" replaced it's a-side "Sing¿ Your Life" as it was planned as a single by itself to¿ promote the compilation. It was probably a better idea than to¿ re-release an older single. Also, they replaced the UK-only¿ single "Certain People I Know" by the contemporary¿ US-only single "Tomorrow" for reasons unknown to me.¿ Stephane

that's all I wanted to say

> Paula,¿ You'd probably know better than anyone else - but has Moz ever¿ mentioned why he chose to cover "That's Entertainment"¿ in the first place - and why at that point in his career? It's a¿ good song and a good cover - but out of the hundreds he could¿ have chosen, why that one? Curious.¿ jason

Jason,
This is a very bad question to ask a Weller fan. I will try to refrain myself though =) First off when you said it's a "good song" I know you meant to say it is a brilliant song that is ok though I forgive your little slip up :) Anyway, I know Morrissey was a Jam fan (how could you not be I ask!) He has stated in interviews that he thinks That's Entertainment is a wonderful depiction of small town English life (although it is really a universal topic) so I imagine that is why he covered it, considering his connection/fascination with that topic. With lyrics like "feeding ducks in the park and wishing I was faraway" you can see why Morrissey would relate to it.

Plus I mean is it not one of the most brilliant songs ever written? =) How could you not want to cover that song! I think Moz was hoping that people who weren't familiar with The Jam would think that he wrote it. Also, Moz thinks Weller is a lyrical genuis and was probably hoping that some of Paul would rub off on him if he covered it. I also think that Weller is incredibly sexy. I mean I think Moz thinks that... Whoops sorry I'm getting a little confused here I'd better shut up =)

Here's the lyrics to the original for you:

(yeah I know you didn't ask for them but I know you wanted them)

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT - Paul Weller
A police car and a screaming siren
A pnuematic drill and ripped up concrete
A baby wailing a stray dog howling
The screech of brakes and lamplights blinking
that's entertainment.

A smash of glass and the rumble of boots
An electric train and a ripped up phone booth
Paint splattered walls and the cry of a tomcat
Lights going out and a kick in the balls
that's entertainment

Days of speed and slow time Mondays
Pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday
Watching the news and not eating your tea
A freezing cold flat and damp on the walls
that's entertainment

Waking up at 6 a.m. on a cool warm morning
Opening the windows and breathing in petrol
An amateur band rehearsing in a nearby yard
Watching the tele and thinking about your holidays
that's entertainment.

Waking up from bad dreams and smoking cigarettes
Cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale perfume
A hot summers' day and sticky black tarmac
Feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were faraway
that's entertainment.

Two lovers kissing amongst the scream of midnight
Two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude
Getting a cab and travelling on buses
Reading the grafitti about slashed seat affairs
that's entertainment

ok that's it I will shut up now =)

Who cares? Sunny's a great song, that's why!

> I recently purchased the moz best of 'suedehead' with the¿ singles up to Vauxhall. I was wondering why Sunny was on there.¿ I am most likely mis-informed, but I thought Sunny was released¿ after Southpaw. As well as that, why is That's Entertainement on¿ there, when every other song is a single?¿ If someone could answer these questions for me, I would really¿ appreciate it.

Hey, if it says best of, then Sunny deserves to be in there. The video, not so good.

Voice inflections cannot be accurately expressed on a keyboard. None of what I said had any sarcasm or antagonistic intention. If you felt I was abrasive, then I must be the one to apologize.¿ Well I am SORRY, oh great wise one. I'm sorry that I don't know¿ every intimate detail of this artist's career, I'm sorry that I¿ wasn't born before 1978, I'm sorry that I asked the goddamn¿ question in the first place!¿ If I have offended you with my ignorance, I sincerely apologise.¿ I promise not to come to this site again.

> Well I am SORRY, oh great wise one. I'm sorry that I don't know¿ every intimate detail of this artist's career, I'm sorry that I¿ wasn't born before 1978, I'm sorry that I asked the goddamn¿ question in the first place!¿ If I have offended you with my ignorance, I sincerely apologise.¿ I promise not to come to this site again.

> Voice inflections cannot be accurately expressed on a keyboard.¿ None of what I said had any sarcasm or antagonistic intention.¿ If you felt I was abrasive, then I must be the one to apologize.

hi paula

i didn't like the song when i heard it sung by moz, without understanding the lyrics. so you wrote them here and i think the lyrics are simply marvelous! i'll hear the song again, thanks.¿ Jason,¿ This is a very bad question to ask a Weller fan. I will try to¿ refrain myself though =) First off when you said it's a¿ "good song" I know you meant to say it is a brilliant¿ song that is ok though I forgive your little slip up :) Anyway,¿ I know Morrissey was a Jam fan (how could you not be I ask!) He¿ has stated in interviews that he thinks That's Entertainment is¿ a wonderful depiction of small town English life (although it is¿ really a universal topic) so I imagine that is why he covered¿ it, considering his connection/fascination with that topic. With¿ lyrics like "feeding ducks in the park and wishing I was¿ faraway" you can see why Morrissey would relate to it.¿ Plus I mean is it not one of the most brilliant songs ever¿ written? =) How could you not want to cover that song! I think¿ Moz was hoping that people who weren't familiar with The Jam¿ would think that he wrote it. Also, Moz thinks Weller is a¿ lyrical genuis and was probably hoping that some of Paul would¿ rub off on him if he covered it. I also think that Weller is¿ incredibly sexy. I mean I think Moz thinks that... Whoops sorry¿ I'm getting a little confused here I'd better shut up =)¿ Here's the lyrics to the original for you:¿ (yeah I know you didn't ask for them but I know you wanted them)¿ THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT - Paul Weller¿ A police car and a screaming siren¿ A pnuematic drill and ripped up concrete¿ A baby wailing a stray dog howling¿ The screech of brakes and lamplights blinking¿ that's entertainment.¿ A smash of glass and the rumble of boots¿ An electric train and a ripped up phone booth¿ Paint splattered walls and the cry of a tomcat¿ Lights going out and a kick in the balls¿ that's entertainment¿ Days of speed and slow time Mondays¿ Pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday¿ Watching the news and not eating your tea¿ A freezing cold flat and damp on the walls¿ that's entertainment¿ Waking up at 6 a.m. on a cool warm morning¿ Opening the windows and breathing in petrol¿ An amateur band rehearsing in a nearby yard¿ Watching the tele and thinking about your holidays¿ that's entertainment.¿ Waking up from bad dreams and smoking cigarettes¿ Cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale perfume¿ A hot summers' day and sticky black tarmac¿ Feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were faraway¿ that's entertainment.¿ Two lovers kissing amongst the scream of midnight¿ Two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude¿ Getting a cab and travelling on buses¿ Reading the grafitti about slashed seat affairs¿ that's entertainment¿ ok that's it I will shut up now =)

Re: THE BEST OF.. questions (no moz)

> Who is Paul Weller???? ;)¿ Heehehehehehehe!!!!!!!

You know he's that guy we were just chatting about - the one you said you search out all the record fairs for vinyl on - the guy you said is sooo sexy and like your favorite singer of all time!

HEEHEEHEE!!!!!!!!!

Re: THE BEST OF.. questions (no moz)

> hi paula¿ i didn't like the song when i heard it sung by moz, without¿ understanding the lyrics. so you wrote them here and i think the¿ lyrics are simply marvelous! i'll hear the song again, thanks.

Hi Fabricio,
They are marvelous lyrics aren't they!? :) I should point out Morrissey changed the lyrics a bit and left some of the stanzas out like the "cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale perfume" part and a few others. He also changed the order of some of the lyrics (shame on him!) Anyway, you should check out the original (and best) version by The Jam! :)

ira!

hi paula!

would you believe me if i told you i never heard the jam? that's the truth, unfortunately.

anyway, i think you would be glad to know (if you don't know yet) that one of the most importants brazilian rock bands ever, "ira!" (anger, in english, and with an exclamation point) are sometimes called "the brazilian jam". they made great success in the 80's and they are toghether until now. the guitarist is one of the best i've ever heard, and his name is edgard scandurra. his great idol is obvioulsy paul weller. i don't know their recent work (even why they don't work too much toghether anymore) but the old songs i know are simply great. sometimes i hear them on the radio, and i think the songs are still excellent.

a hug,

fabricio¿ Hi Fabricio,¿ They are marvelous lyrics aren't they!? :) I should point out¿ Morrissey changed the lyrics a bit and left some of the stanzas¿ out like the "cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale¿ perfume" part and a few others. He also changed the order¿ of some of the lyrics (shame on him!) Anyway, you should check¿ out the original (and best) version by The Jam! :)

Re: ira!

> hi paula!¿ would you believe me if i told you i never heard the jam? that's¿ the truth, unfortunately. Anyway, i think you would be glad to know >(if you don't know yet) that one of the most importants brazilian >rock bands ever, "ira!" (anger, in english, and with an exclamation¿ point) are sometimes called "the brazilian jam".

Thank you so much for sharing that with me Fabricio :) I have
I never heard of Ira! That's fascinating to me that they are sometimes called the Brazilian Jam! What are their lyrics like?¿ they made great success in the 80's and they are toghether until >now. the guitarist is one of the best i've ever heard, and his name¿ is edgard scandurra. his great idol is obvioulsy paul weller.

That's lovely!! Edgard has very good taste - hehee! :)¿ don't know their recent work (even why they don't work too much¿ toghether anymore) but the old songs i know are simply great.¿ sometimes i hear them on the radio, and i think the songs are¿ still excellent.

I would really like to hear them now even if I wouldn't be able to understand what they were saying!

hugs to you too honey!! :)
Paula

Re: ira!

> Thank you so much for sharing that with me Fabricio :) I have¿ I never heard of Ira! That's fascinating to me that they are¿ sometimes called the Brazilian Jam! What are their lyrics like?¿ I would really like to hear them now even if I wouldn't be able¿ to understand what they were saying!

the lyrics are good (various with social critics), but nothing compared with that's entertainment. "flores em você", or "pobre paulista" have good lyrics. and they have a song called "ninguém entende um mod" (nobody understands a mod - they are so called "mods"). his official site is:

http://www.webspace.com.br/catedral/maia/ira/index.html

all his lyrics are in this site. you must do this way: in "escolha a seção" (choose the section) you must choose: "letras" (lyrics). to translate the lyrics you can go to altavista:

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate

(the brazilian language is portuguese - don't be offended by the information - lot's of people thinks is spanish!). ask me some help, please, if you want to.

below to "escolha a seção" it's written: "Multimídia: Ouça Ira! agora na web." (multimedia: hear ira! now on the web)

you can have some mp3 in this adress:

http://www.centralmp3.com.br/index.html

go to BR - Rock (the first link) and choose ira! - there are some downloads, as "pobre paulista" and "flores em você" live

besides the songs i quoted, i like, for example, "vitrine viva", "gritos na multidão", "quinze anos", "farto de rock'n roll" (the one i most like), "um dia como hoje"¿ hugs to you too honey!! :)¿ Paula

another hug to you now

fabricio

Back
Top Bottom