This Night Has Opened My Eyes

J

Jo

I'm sure there must be some people on this board that don't know this, but did you know that "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" is about A Taste Of Honey? Or am I wrong and simply unable to get past those borrowed lines?

Geof? Geof? Am I wrong? Geof?

> I'm sure there must be some people on this board that don't know
> this, but did you know that "This Night Has Opened My
> Eyes" is about A Taste Of Honey? Or am I wrong and simply
> unable to get past those borrowed lines?

I'm puzzled by the song because I'm an idiot. The events in the song don't really correspond to anything in the play. Is it kind of like Morrissey's 'sequel' to A Taste of Honey? He talks about the baby, and about the Rita Tushingham character ... years after the play's story ended. I mean, she's still pregnant at the end of the play! So it's sort of about how Morrissey feels about the characters? the world they inhabit in his mind?

And he says immerse the baby's head. Does that mean they KILL the baby by drowning it?

> I'm sure there must be some people on this board that don't know
> this, but did you know that "This Night Has Opened My
> Eyes" is about A Taste Of Honey? Or am I wrong and simply
> unable to get past those borrowed lines?

> Geof? Geof? Am I wrong? Geof?

"The dream has gone, but the baby is real." is a line from the play, isn't it? It has been years since I've read it, and I don't know if the line is in the film version or not.

I thought that all the Smiths songs from this time were Morrissey's reaction to "Taste of Honey" - Hatful of Hollow is almost "Taste of Honey" the musical.
And that Geoff's a pansified freak - I really don't know what you see in him.

> "The dream has gone, but the baby is real." is a line
> from the play, isn't it? It has been years since I've read it,
> and I don't know if the line is in the film version or not.

> "The dream has gone, but the baby is real." is a line
> from the play, isn't it? It has been years since I've read it,
> and I don't know if the line is in the film version or not.

I don't think that line was directly taken from the play but here are some which I remember (from the play):

BOY: I dreamt about you last night. Fell out of bed twice.

GEOF: It's got to wear something. You can't just wrap it up in a bundle of newspaper.
JO: And dump it on a doorstep. How did Geoffrey find out the measurements?

GEOF: Oh well, the dream's gone, but the baby's real enough.

And I think JO said something like, "And look at that river! It's the colour of lead."

Tada! I'm so happy that I remembered these.

Back
Top Bottom